Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Catalytic converters


frazthewise
 Share

Recommended Posts

Around Croydon we have suffered very badly from Catalytic converter thefts. How vulnerable are the new Corolla to this dastardly deed? Are there any mods available adding additional protection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Main protection is to fit a Catloc and mark/ID the catalytic converter to deter theft. Toyota dealers fit them, typically for around £250 and you can also get aftermarket versions. Typically it's a metal plate which bolts to the underside of the vehicle preventing access making it more difficult to steal. Other versions use clamps with chains, or wire cages wrapped around it to secure it. 

Run a search for cat loc, there's plenty of threads discussing them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the cats on the Corolla are OK as they are positioned differently than the auris and prius making it more difficult to remove .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bob110023 said:

I think the cats on the Corolla are OK as they are positioned differently than the auris and prius making it more difficult to remove .

There have been cases where they've been stolen, see page 2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have got underneath mine to have a look and the cat is right up underneath the front bulkhead directly at the back of the engine and I would say it is extremely difficult to remove the cat at the speed that the scumbags could on the auris hybrid also I believe that Toyota now use less precious metals in the cats which makes them less of a target.

mine is due for its first service soon so will enquire about a catloc although Toyota has not sent a letter out to advise the fitting of a catloc as they did with the auris.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


There was a post here not long ago someone cut the second cat from Corolla 1.8 brand new car , not sure if they will need it but there are plenty of dumb thieves that will cut anything that looks like a cat under any Toyota that has a hybrid emblems, and also some are targeting non hybrid auris too. If you are worry about better to get it marked with smart water and install a cat plate for extra protection and hopefully thieves won’t stop by. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

... and maybe remove the Hybrid badges, thieves are not always too bright and may pass you by!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the reason why hybrid vehicles use ( or did use) more precious metals in their catalytic converters than a regular petrol car? I'm genuinely curious about that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn’t it due to the fact there are less emissions going through the catalytic converter so last longer rather than more precious metals 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yeah, mainly it's the cats are in better condition than other vehicle types - In older petrol cars the cats have normally been cooked to death by the high exhaust temps, and in diesels the cat is just a big lung cancer trap (Also diesel cats don't use rhodium, which is the money maker). Because hybrids have relatively light duty, their cats tend to be in much better condition, even in older vehicles.

The TNGA hybrid use cats with much less of the precious metals, and they are usually part of the exhaust manifold rather than being exposed underneath the car - This means they are less attractive to thieves as they're a lot harder to remove and the payoff is a lot less.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, mainly it's the cats are in better condition than other vehicle types - In older petrol cars the cats have normally been cooked to death by the high exhaust temps, and in diesels the cat is just a big lung cancer trap (Also diesel cats don't use rhodium, which is the money maker). Because hybrids have relatively light duty, their cats tend to be in much better condition, even in older vehicles.

The TNGA hybrid use cats with much less of the precious metals, and they are usually part of the exhaust manifold rather than being exposed underneath the car - This means they are less attractive to thieves as they're a lot harder to remove and the payoff is a lot less.

 

But there are plenty of newer cars around that won't be affected by corrosion. Catalytic converters last for donkeys years, so I wouldn't have thought that all of them more than a couple of years old have rotted their precious metals away. Why go hunting for hybrids? Much easier to find anything young with a petrol engine. Maybe the problem is that manufacturers have stopped putting on badges with the engine size, so you can't tell if it's a petrol or a diesel?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

But there are plenty of newer cars around that won't be affected by corrosion. Catalytic converters last for donkeys years, so I wouldn't have thought that all of them more than a couple of years old have rotted their precious metals away. Why go hunting for hybrids? Much easier to find anything young with a petrol engine. Maybe the problem is that manufacturers have stopped putting on badges with the engine size, so you can't tell if it's a petrol or a diesel?

Toyota cars the cats are easily accessible under the car plus they have two boxes that might content precious metals, other cars like Honda jazz, Mercedes sprinters, Lexus RX etc are also easy to cut and take away, plus happens to be more sought after from the metal traders who pay for these cats, thieves knows and do nothing with the parts themselves, it’s a well organised business model, they only hunt and cut. They don’t care how much metals are inside or how much mileage the car had, they will pass the cat to a traders who will sell or hire chemists to do the job, that requires time and equipment. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see. For several years, manufacturers have been moving the cat all the way up to the exhaust manifold, not for anti-theft strategy, but to promote faster warm-up. Sounds like Toyota have been late to adopt this design.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

I see. For several years, manufacturers have been moving the cat all the way up to the exhaust manifold, not for anti-theft strategy, but to promote faster warm-up. Sounds like Toyota have been late to adopt this design.

Actually the problem with Toyota cars is more of having a large opening under the car and easy access to that part , plus there are two cats and obviously will be preferred target plus if indeed has more metals in and been in better shape , the thing is that the traders who pay to the thieves order what to steal. They offer higher pay for Prius cats. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah not sure why; They aren't actually late in adopting that design - AFAIK every Toyota I've owned has had the cat in the engine bay just after the exhaust manifold (It was further down in the D4D because of the turbo, but still there!) - Don't know why they moved it further out in the Auris and Prius; Maybe a packaging issue, as the engine bay in those is pretty rammed...?

The one in my Mk4 is very much in the engine bay - It'd be a right pain to get to as the floor panel is also in the way, and the car is a lot lower than my previous Yaris too! (I could get under the Mk2 without a jack; No chance in this one! Tho' maybe I've just put on weight since I had that car... :laugh: )

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, Red_Corolla said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the reason why hybrid vehicles use ( or did use) more precious metals in their catalytic converters than a regular petrol car? I'm genuinely curious about that.

They don't. They use less. However due to the electric component they consume what they have more slowly so are eventually worth more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership