Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smart Water for Cats.

Chris Dance

Received a message from Toyota dealer two days ago. Toyota with the police cooperation are offering smart water treatment for catalytic  convertors. If a CAT is stolen the cat can be traced to a particular crime. It is free of charge to have this done. Our car is booked in for next Wednesday. Receptionist said it takes about 1 hour 30 mins to do. Anything which can trace the criminals is a good thing.

Chris that is true but other than perhaps a sticker warning of smart water on your car does it work?

Once your CAT is gone it's gone. 

Is this a dealer-specific thing? I asked mine about it and they said it was the first they heard of it.

Had the same message too, but already have a Catloc fitted. I think the dealer was supposed to mark the c/c at the same time but as they failed to supply any window stickers or register it all (they're supposed to!) I don't have any confidence that any i/d marking was applied. Ended up buying stickers myself on eBay.

Our car has a catloc fitted. I told the receptionist the car had a catloc. It is not dealer specific. Toyota and police forces in many areas are working together to try and and catch the cat thieves. I am not sure how the scheme works but if there is any chance of it catching the thieves it must be a good thing. If you search for Toyota smart water on the internet it informs you about it. 

Check this out.  https://www.smar******er.com/uncategorised/toyota-tackling-catalytic-converter-thefts/

No I meant is it only certain dealers who are doing this as mine denied any knowledge when I asked them about it...

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is this a dealer-specific thing? I asked mine about it and they said it was the first they heard of it.

Its Toyota GB specific.

So all Toyota UK dealers? They should know about it then! Well this is par for the course for my local dealer's level of competence so I should not be surprised...

There is really no need for concern about the Yaris's Cat since it is straight off the manifold and buried in amongst the engine bay. i.e. access to it from underneath is just about impossible.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, Duffryn said:

Had the same message too, but already have a Catloc fitted. I think the dealer was supposed to mark the c/c at the same time but as they failed to supply any window stickers or register it all (they're supposed to!) I don't have any confidence that any i/d marking was applied. Ended up buying stickers myself on Ebay.

If you’ve already got a dealer catloc fitted does anybody know if the cat can still be marked with smart water? I think it’s a brilliant idea because this will inevitably lead to prosecutions. It’s great to see that Toyota are doing something to combat this crime & I hope those that do get caught are made to compensate those drivers whose cars they stole the cats from, especially the cost of the inconvenience to the driver. I hope also there is also a lengthy prison sentence waiting for these criminals. Maybe then they will give up on this abhorrent crime!

When I booked to have smart water applied I stated to the dealer receptionist that I had a catloc fitted. She told me they can still do  do it.  I will find out this afternoon when i take the car in. I will let you know.

3 hours ago, Chris Dance said:

When I booked to have smart water applied I stated to the dealer receptionist that I had a catloc fitted. She told me they can still do  do it.  I will find out this afternoon when i take the car in. I will let you know.

Hi Chris, thanks for that reply. Please let me know how you get on.

Smart water applied to the cat on our car. No problem because a catloc was fitted. Took 30mins. I was given 3 stickers they suggested one for front screen and one for drivers side window and one for the passenger side window. I had to register; this was done on line I was given instructions on this. There is a code on the smart water dispenser. ( Make sure you have your VIN Number when registering.)

Would recommend you get yours done Trevor and other Prius owners.

Out of interest Catloc' own website clearly states that a kit includes 'security marking and registration kit with window stickers'.

I got none of these inclusions from my dealer despite my making 3 follow-up (protest) calls to them.

1 hour ago, Chris Dance said:

Smart water applied to the cat on our car. No problem because a catloc was fitted. Took 30mins. I was given 3 stickers they suggested one for front screen and one for drivers side window and one for the passenger side window. I had to register; this was done on line I was given instructions on this. There is a code on the smart water dispenser. ( Make sure you have your VIN Number when registering.)

Would recommend you get yours done Trevor and other Prius owners.

When I had the catloc fitted just over 12 months ago, I was given a code, which I was told was stamped on the cat itself. I registered this code with the relevant company as I was instructed to do at the time. If the cat did get stolen I was then to contact the company www.catloc.eu, who I presume would use the number stamped on the cat to somehow catch the thieves that commit this abhorrent crime. I also, unlike Duffryn, had a couple of stickers put on the rear quarter light windows. I guess this number stamped on the cat, is not the smart water code & yes as a further security measure Chris, I shall be contacting my Toyota dealer to try to get the smart water treatment sorted. Chris, thanks for your help & advice. Just as an after thought, did you have to pay to have the smart water applied or is it fully sponsored by Toyota?

When the dealer fitted the Catloc to our Prius I received no catloc code and no stickers. I was told the catloc was just a deterrent. My son was told the same when he had a catloc fitted on his Prius.

Trevor there was no charge for the smart water treatment.

I have received email confirmation that the smart water treatment for our Prius is now registered. They will inform me when it is time to reregister. If I sell the car I suppose I will have to contact them via their web site. 

I had a catloc fitted recently, I got a little plastic pack with a card with the ID code which should be etched onto the cat, the window stickers and a guide on how to register the ID on the website.

I think the window stickers may be a better deterrent than etching the cat.

Assuming someone reports a Cat stolen and the police find said Cat they have confirmation that it is stolen.  Do we think for one moment that the tealeaves don't know that and will retain the Cat a moment longer than necessary?

While the sticker may deter some it will warn them to move it quickly.

Some years ago, two generations of TV sets ago at least, we were given special pens to mark property and little labels to attach thereto.  It met the requirement to show 'we are proactive ' but have we heard anything since?

OTOH my lawn mower was stolen and reported. The Tea leaf was seen running it down the road and I got it back.  My postcode was not on it and it had been reported to a different police district.

Have you read Frostyballs post of 18 hours ago, he left links to 2 reports saying since smart water program was launched some 5 months ago reported thefts have fallen 57%. That is a pretty good figure, and the trend is downward.

Cat (appropriate name), no doubt but as soon as their focus moves elsewhere and the thieves take avoidance action.  How come this forum is the only place I have heard of this initiative?

34 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

How come this forum is the only place I have heard of this initiative?

It was featured on Toyota Mag back in May, some Police forces have also highlighted the scheme, which is sponsored by Toyota, and other media have also run articles highlighting scheme to owners.

Eg: https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-to-covertly-mark-more-than-100000-catalytic-converters-to-combat-theft/

14 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Cat (appropriate name), no doubt but as soon as their focus moves elsewhere and the thieves take avoidance action.  How come this forum is the only place I have heard of this initiative?

I had an email in July from my Dealer informing me of the free service.  I could either have it applied now or at my next service which is the option I am taking.

Just a thought, what is the difference between a stolen Cat with smart water and a scrap Cat with smart water?

Right now there will be few legitimate Cats that are marked with smart water but that will change as Cat equipped cars are written off.  Properly there will be a proper paper trail through waste disposal certificates but I am sure some scrappies will get round that.

42 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Just a thought, what is the difference between a stolen Cat with smart water and a scrap Cat with smart water?

Right now there will be few legitimate Cats that are marked with smart water but that will change as Cat equipped cars are written off.  Properly there will be a proper paper trail through waste disposal certificates but I am sure some scrappies will get round that.

That’s no reason not to take advantage of a free service which may corner those involved in this sordid crime, even if it’s only one person, in my opinion it’s a success. Those scrappies who think they can get round this extra security had better think again. They are not above the law & if they try to hoodwink the police they are going to face the full force of the law. With the anger people feel about anyone’s involvement in this serious crime, I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes if they get caught out. Will these scrappies really take the risk?