Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Aygo key not working

Katie4799

I recently bought a 2009 Aygo. The primary key was badly beaten up. I bought a repair kit from eBay (new housing and internal buttons) so I could use the lock/unlock buttons. That is all working perfectly however now I think the immobiliser or something has kicked in as the key won’t start the car. 

is there a method to reset this? Unlocks and locks the car perfect but won’t start. I’ve looked around different websites but can’t seem to find a clear answer on steps to reprogramme or sort the issue?

Any help greatly appreciated!

There is a small transponder chip that needs swapping over as well as the transmitter circuit board

• Like 3

What Dev said! IIRC it's just near where the keyblade meets the plastic body of the key, looks like a little rectangular block.

You shouldn't need to reprogram it as it's the same 'guts' as it were.

• Like 1

I didn’t replace anything apart from the small unlock button on the motherboard and key housing? So when you say “swapping over” what do you mean exactly? It’s same “motherboard” and Battery etc!

Sorry I’m not very technical or car savvy!

As above, the car's immobiliser chip is still in the old casing, so don't throw away the old casing until you know the car starts and runs. This a common mistake and can prove costly as others have binned the old casing and needed to get new one programmed. Just internet search aygo immobiliser chip so you know what you are looking for.

Wait did you just change the buttons or did you swap the casing too?

If you swapped the casing too, there is an extra chip thingy you need to swap over as well as the 'motherboard'

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

If you swapped the casing too, there is an extra chip thingy you need to swap over as well as the 'motherboard'

The transponder is a small grey 'block' about 3mm x 3mm x 10mm that is in the plastic casing down by the key blade - without that being moved to the new key casing the car won't start.

Thank you guys for replying. I did replace the casing and didn’t realise about any extra chip, which now makes sense! 

I must have completely missed it. Is it possible to order a new chip from eBay and reprogramme that way or is it something I’m going to have to get sorted at a Toyota garage?

thank you again for all your responses

27 minutes ago, Katie4799 said:

Thank you guys for replying. I did replace the casing and didn’t realise about any extra chip, which now makes sense! 

I must have completely missed it. Is it possible to order a new chip from eBay and reprogramme that way or is it something I’m going to have to get sorted at a Toyota garage?

So you've thrown away the original casing complete with the transponder chip?

Getting a new transponder to match (and keep the transponder in your spare key working) will likely be quite pricey - I would suggest searching for the old casing might be your best first bet.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

So you've thrown away the original casing complete with the transponder chip?

Getting a new transponder to match (and keep the transponder in your spare key working) will likely be quite pricey - I would suggest searching for the old casing might be your best first bet.

Yep it’s long gone unfortunately. This was a week ago when I changed it over (I watched a YouTube video and it didn’t mention anything about the transponder chip) so very naive of myself but now I know for the future.

im going to have a look at some places for a few quotes. I believe the AA do keys and programming etc if they’re lost and stolen so that might be another route I take.

thank you for your help

That's a shame, was going to suggest a rubbish rummage, done that myself when thrown something away by mistake before bin men been, dog dirt n all, lovely!

If you got a spare key then think that can be 'cloned' people like Timpsons or we have a security/lock place that programmed keys. Few years ago that was about £80-£100 round our way. If no spare, it gets complicated think you have go to Toyota who can do it from the VIN and you need to provide 'proof' of vehicle ownership etc. and more expensive.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

You can get the chips fairly cheaply (ID70 chip), iirc toyota charge £60-80 ish to program it, but anyone with a high-end scan tool or techstream can do it

A mobile locksmith should also be able to do it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123475319643?hash=item1cbfb3db5b:g:SCwAAOSwIAJb4tiR

I take it you didn't get a spare with the car

You can also get an autolocksmith to clone your other key's code (Assuming you have the 2nd key!) onto an RFID - I did that on my first Yaris after giving up trying to get a second hand module to code into the ECU - and stick it into the cavity where the original should have gone.

It'd be better to get a proper replacement chip and have it coded into the car, but the RFID trick is cheaper, although both your keys will have the same code from then on!

Transponder chip has been around for 20-30 years now.  I remember I first stumble it on my first car (2005).  I was playing around with the key, opening the plastic cover and stuff.  Hours later, I went to my car.  It starts, but the engine would stall immediately after ignition.   I called my broke down cover, grab the spare key and the car will no longer stall.

What happened was: while I was playing with the plastic cover (open it up), the transponder chip fell out.  And without the transponder chip, the computer will cut power to the fuel pump hence the car will simply stall.  Lucky in my case, I managed to recover the transponder chip, so nothing was lost except time.

Nowadays, the transponder chip and computer become more advance.  Transponder Chip can be integrated into the circuit board as part of the remote key.  Computer not only shut off fuel pump, but can stop power to starter (so the car will not turn) and block the ignition sparks as well.

As for the OP's case, there are several options:

1. If your car comes with spare key, you can clone the transponder chip.  (Next if you don't have a spare key.)

2. Get a USED set of ECU, Dash Computer, Immobiliser from eBay and change it out. E.g: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203555554089 (£72)

The problems with this method are:  1. You want to make sure the parts number matches the one in your car.  2. The odometer will be in-correct.  Not so much of a problem if you have no intention to sell the car.

3. Locksmith - you'll need to shop around.  TouchClone / CarProg / Tango <- these kits can produce a transponder chip by reading the immobiliser.  Tell them all transponder chip were lost, need to generate a new one by reading the immobiliser.

4. Toyota, likely to be the most expensive option.  But it doesn't hurt to get a quote.

• 3 weeks later...

If it was your only key a locksmith will have read the eeprom chip on the immobiliser unit which is behind the clocks to get the code to program a new transponder chip.

Failing that as mentioned above you will have to get a full ecu kit from eBay or a breaker

You dont need to replace anything, techstream (even the clone) or higher end scan tool will let you add or remove keys (eeprom can be written over odb2 if need be)

There is also the paper clip method not sure up to what year this works tho