Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TPMS second set (winter wheels)

Matric

Hello everyone, 

Has anyone been able to program in their winter wheel tpms sensors as a second set?

My Corolla allows two sets of tpms sensors to be programmed into the ECU. This allows for selecting second set of wheels within the car settings.

I don't want to change tires and use existing tpms sensors. I want to just place complete winter wheels with new tpms sensors. However I don't want to compromise the OEM sensor data for the summer set.

Someone mentioned cloning the sensors I'd number that is already in the ECU for the summer wheels and then activating the winter sensors with the same ID. But since the summer tires are 225 45 17 and the winter tires at 205 55 16 my guess is that there may be an issue with that method.

Has anyone been able to do it with a tool such as the Autel tpms?

If I clone the ID to both sets with different tire dimensions will it work?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

If you have 2015 Auris (face lift) or newer Toyota, you can have 2 sets of tires programmed. If you only can have 1 set, The best bet is to clone the ID number of your TPMS sensors into the new set if it is possible.  You also can use any fully option ELM327 scanner and install Carista Apps to program TPMS. It does not have to be Carista scanner brand. 

tbh I don't bother with a set of TPMS on my winter tyres due to cost. I still visually check my tyres before every trip & check tyre pressures weekly anyway so I don't feel that it is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good option. Just ignore it if you can handle the beep sounds.  You also can open the TPMS sensor receptor located somewhere on the body and jumps the pin to make ECU think all sensors are always OK.  TPMS is stupid expensive for no good reasons. Old way check it with pressure gauge works just fine for people who loves cars. TPMS is for people who dont care about car and never check the pressure regularly. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AisinW said:

That's a good option. Just ignore it if you can handle the beep sounds.  You also can open the TPMS sensor receptor located somewhere on the body and jumps the pin to make ECU think all sensors are always OK.  TPMS is stupid expensive for no good reasons. Old way check it with pressure gauge works just fine for people who loves cars. TPMS is for people who dont care about car and never check the pressure regularly. 

Absolutely, most of the extras are useless and cause more trouble than help. 👍

My TPMS sounded the other day, i put some air in the respective tyre, reset the system, and later on the same warning sounded again. Think i've got a puncture, does anyone know if the main dealers do tyre repairs? Just wondering what a back street punture repairers would do regarding TPMS

2 hours ago, Mikw said:

My TPMS sounded the other day, i put some air in the respective tyre, reset the system, and later on the same warning sounded again. Think i've got a puncture, does anyone know if the main dealers do tyre repairs? Just wondering what a back street punture repairers would do regarding TPMS

Dealers definitely do tyres, puncture repair though not so sure. It requires more patience to do than just put a new tyre and balance, and they don’t probably use those repair kits although they work great in most of the times. Perhaps if you have a nail in you can use one of these kit by yourself and no need to visit any garage .  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-Tubeless-Tyre-Tire-Puncture-Repair-Kit-Car-Bike-Motorcycle-Van-Strips-/333930061726?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Thanks 1

My Toyota dealer does puncture repairs free of charge (and also free oil and screen wash top ups) as an incentive for people who take out one of their Service Plans.

That said, I don't know if they do the repairs themselves or call in the local mobile tyre operator.

I'm not sure who needs oil top ups nowadays - I don't remember the last time I did even though I still look at the dip stick every now and then.

I took them up on the free screen wash top up when I was at the dealership for another reason. The service manager said they weren't geared up to do this unless I waited for them to be able to move the car into their service area - I assume they don't own a watering can. I declined to wait but went away with a couple of free bottles of Toyota screen wash liquid!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AisinW said:

That's a good option. Just ignore it if you can handle the beep sounds.  

there are no beeps on my car just the warning light.

whilst Toyota dealers are meant to offer free tyre repair it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it there & then ... https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-aftercare/oil-and-tyres

6 hours ago, Geoff W said:

m not sure who needs oil top ups nowadays - I don't remember the last time I did even though I still look at the dip stick every now and then.

I took them up on the free screen wash top up

The regular oil level check today may aimed more towards detecting a leak than burning oil. You still see some cars making smoke with the driver seemingly unaware. 

On screen wash, better than one company who always charged for a full litre bottle of washer fluid even if the car was presented with the washer brim full.  At least they did leave the bottle in the footwell. 

19 hours ago, Mikw said:

I had the same problem a few months ago - TPMS sounding off more often than necessary with no apparent pressure changes. Thinking the system might be faulty I took the car to my dealer. It turned out to be a puncture which they repaired free of charge. Don't know if it was free because they supplied the car to me, it's still under warranty and I have a service agreement with them, though, so your mileage may vary.

I imagine any repairs would probably just require a TPMS reset maybe?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Velvet--Glove said:

I imagine any repairs would probably just require a TPMS reset maybe?

If it is going back on the same hub & at the same pressure it shouldn't  even need that. I would be more concerned about them potentially damaging the TPMS sensor/valve,

Are you using original Toyota TPMS sensors? Aftermarket rarely works well for TPMS.  Check youtube how to deactivate TPMS sensors if you think you don't  need it. Afterall, it is not required on older cars and old cars still pass MOT.  It is just unfair. TPMS in my opinion is just unnecessary expensive and only detect underpressure not overpressure that often cause tire explosion and accident.  For £400, TPMS cost more than a set of premium all seasons tires. If mine eventually die, I will just short the wiring  and shut the TPMS permanently off. No more hassle and peaceful like the good old day.  

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

Are you using original Toyota TPMS sensors? 

The originals that came with the car from new ex. factory.

Summer wheels with TPMS come off ~ end of November* & Winters (without TPMS) go on.

Around April, depending upon weather, the Winters come off & Summers go back on - never had to reset yet.

Assuming that your TPMS is direct rather than indirect then the batteries in the valves will die typically after 5-6 years. For the MOT on a car that was delivered with a TPMS system from new you have to be able to show a working TPMS system to pass.

*The unused set of wheels all go into marked tyre covers so that they go back on to the correct hubs.

If you can locate the location of the TPMS ECU, you can short the 5 to 7 connectors or short the wiring. Auris 2013 hybrid has almost identical ECU and accessories as Prius 3rd gen. It is on the rear  right B pilar and on the rear roof on Auris TS.  

tpms-dissable.jpg

images.jpeg

pic.png

SM_2Auris_relay_location.pdf

Very interesting info. I really would like to disable the TPMS in my 2017 Avensis cause I need a set of winter wheels for Germany (4 seasons are not allowed in winter). MOT is the same drag… all about having you spend your money.

Does anyone know where to find the TPMS ECU?
Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Erw_Nash said:

Very interesting info. I really would like to disable the TPMS in my 2017 Avensis cause I need a set of winter wheels for Germany (4 seasons are not allowed in winter). MOT is the same drag… all about having you spend your money.

Thanks!!

4 seasons are allowed in Germany as long as you have the M+S marking until 30th  September 2024.  After September 2024, we need 3 peaks snow mountain symbol in icy days winter.   It also only apply  if the road in icy condition, no particular month of date for mandatory.  If the road is not snowy/icy  summer tires is still legal even in December or January.  I never recommend winter tires in UK and Western Europe (except Alps, Nordic, and Scotland)  because winter is mostly wet and rain.  All seasons tires (Michelin Crossclimate 2, Goodyear vector4seasons GEN3  are better than any winter tires and last 3 x longer. Winter tires wear very fast vs all seasons. In snow  those premium all seasons tires are great too.    You can google  The TPMS Receiver for Avensis 2017 https://cardiagn.com/relay-locations-em25h4e-wiring-diagrams/.  I believe it is near the rear seat head rest in sedan and rear roof near the trunk door in tourer.   I think winter tires is only for people who live in Nordic countries or Alps, they are terribly noisy, soft, and wear really fast. 

I think MOT or TUEV Germany is still important.  But the rule about TPMS is  a kind of too much.  Why don't just check the pressure regularly. Overpressure is more dangerous than underpressure when the light is up. 

My studded winter tyres last 8 seasons in Scotland, probably 3-4 months per year.  I lost a number of studs but no significant tyre wear.

1 hour ago, Erw_Nash said:

Thanks!!

Obviously I don't  know about the law in Germany but afaik in the UK we are required to show a working TPMS system for our annual MOT but there is nothing saying that you can't actually run with wheels/tyres without TPMS the rest of the time.

& if it is like my 2017 Avensis the only downside is that you will have the yellow TPMS warning symbol on the dash illuminated, there is no beeping etc.

10 minutes ago, AisinW said:

I think winter tires is only for people who live in Nordic countries or Alps, they are terribly noisy, soft, and wear really fast. 

Whilst I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you about for Northern country use only (indeed I am considering going onto All Season when my Winters wear out) I would about them being noisy, soft & wearing fast (if you run them in the appropriate temperatures).

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

My studded winter tyres last 8 seasons in Scotland, probably 3-4 months per year.  I lost a number of studs but no significant tyre wear.

Studded tyres are illegal on public roads in the UK.

Even at 0C, in dry or wet road, winter tires with soft compound still wear much faster than all seasons.  Surprisingly, all seasons still last longer than summer tires in summer too, but not as responsive as summer tires. Typical Goodyear Gen3 All seasons have treadwear 500 vs Summer EffGrip2 treadwear 360.  

When we jump the cables  on TPWS receiver, there is no code on the OBD2 scanner either.  It will still pass MOT without problem.

28 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

This was 40 years ago.

I think not. Whilst there is no UK legislation specifically banning them you can apparently be fined for other offences relating https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/128121/studded-winter-tyres#m1278206 Whilst we were in the EU they were apparently only legal in countries that specifically allowed them i.e. the EU base position was that they were illegal except where exempted.

I would say that the chances of being caught in the UK are probably extremely slim though.

19 hours ago, AisinW said:

4 seasons are allowed in Germany as long as you have the M+S marking until 30th  September 2024.  After September 2024, we need 3 peaks snow mountain symbol in icy days winter.   It also only apply  if the road in icy condition, no particular month of date for mandatory.  If the road is not snowy/icy  summer tires is still legal even in December or January.  I never recommend winter tires in UK and Western Europe (except Alps, Nordic, and Scotland)  because winter is mostly wet and rain.  All seasons tires (Michelin Crossclimate 2, Goodyear vector4seasons GEN3  are better than any winter tires and last 3 x longer. Winter tires wear very fast vs all seasons. In snow  those premium all seasons tires are great too.    You can google  The TPMS Receiver for Avensis 2017 https://cardiagn.com/relay-locations-em25h4e-wiring-diagrams/.  I believe it is near the rear seat head rest in sedan and rear roof near the trunk door in tourer.   I think winter tires is only for people who live in Nordic countries or Alps, they are terribly noisy, soft, and wear really fast. 

I think MOT or TUEV Germany is still important.  But the rule about TPMS is  a kind of too much.  Why don't just check the pressure regularly. Overpressure is more dangerous than underpressure when the light is up. 

Thanks AisinW for the information on both TPMS and 4 season tires. You are not the first person to give me the advice to no longer use winter tires. But I didn’t know the German regulations in detail (although I am often in Germany I live in Belgium) nd was convinced that winter tires were mandatory. I think I saw that on the Belgian tv news one day, but of course, you can never take everything they say in the news for granted…

6 hours ago, Erw_Nash said:

Thanks AisinW for the information on both TPMS and 4 season tires. You are not the first person to give me the advice to no longer use winter tires. But I didn’t know the German regulations in detail (although I am often in Germany I live in Belgium) nd was convinced that winter tires were mandatory. I think I saw that on the Belgian tv news one day, but of course, you can never take everything they say in the news for granted…

TV are often paid by manufacturer.  Premium all seasons tires have 90% grip of winter tires but they cost 50% more but 300% longer life. The starting tread is about 7mm instead of 9 mm like in winter tires but they are tougher. Michelin shows that their premiun tires at 1.6mm is still better than new cheap tires.  Don't try disabling TPMS if you do not have complete wiring of the cars.  So far I only know it works in Prius 3rd gen, 4runner 2005-2012, and some other toyota.  What I understand, we also can short it via terminal on TPMS modul near the glove box.  instead of TMPS receiver on the B pillar.   So, I guess if we can locate the TPMS module behind the glove box. That's better idea without hassle removing head liner on Auris TS.  Just  do not jump cable from any 5 or 12V wire to any other cable, it can burn the device. You can use Volt meter with negative probe to the ground/expose body panel or bolts.  Shorting terminal 5 and 7 should  have no voltage between them (tested on the cable,  not TPMS module).  Because 5 and 7 could be 2 and 12 if we are missoriented.  No one ever try on Avensis yet. So far only 4Runner, Prius 3rd gen, and some Toyota in USA.  I don't recommend doing that since you still have summer tire sets with good tpms. Just ignore the light in winter, it does not fail your MOT. Install summer tires when you need to do MOT. Disabling TPMS only worth if your TPMS are dead and do not want to spend £360 for a new set.  I rented Stadtmobil Polo 2017 and TPMS keep on because one of the sensors may be failed, but Stadmobil never bother replacing it after 1 year. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links