Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Yaris - Where do I put my TomTom without obstructing visibility?

exim

I have the 6'' Tomtom Go. In the MK3 I had a cupholder mount so it was placed in the cupholder area. Of course, this is not possible with the MK4 as the cupholder is no longer at the front.

Vent mounting is out of the question as the centre vent isn't reachable due to the touchscreen, the driver side vent is obstructed by the steering wheel, the passenger side vent is obviously too far away.

I do not want it on the windscreen or on top of the dash as visibility would be further obstructed - I don't even like air fresheners dangling in the way!

The only bodge at the moment is to have it resting sort of leaning up against the opening of the crevice with the cig lighter, but it slips - would there be any mount that could get it to stay firm.

Now, I know you'll be thinking just use Google maps/Android Auto on the touchscreen - I've found the tomtom to be far more reliable and prefer that.

So, any ideas?

You can get TomTom maps for Anroid phones.

I do have a TomTom sat nav unit, I have had it placed on the extreme right hand end of the dash (to the right of the steering wheel) where it dies not obstruc view through windscreen.   I do prefer to use Waze on my mobile as a sat nav because its up to date due to waze users sending info re accidents, road works, even pot holes in roads are reported by wazers.

... and you can also use Android Auto to show Waze or TomTom on the main screen so all you would need to do then is to work out where to fix up your phone (which you wouldn't need to actually view) ...

You can get weighted bags with smooth mounting points for Sat-Nav suction mounts. You may be able to perch it somewhere it's not in the way. Though using Carplay/Android Auto is going to be your best bet. May as well use that screen the car has. 

(Says he who's still waiting for a delivery date of his new MK4 Dynamic City Pack wonder-mobile)

Does the Mk4 have small fixed quarterlights in front of the door window sliding glass? If not ignore the paragraph below!

I stick my 6" TomTom Go to that glass using the TomTom mount, Mk3 Yaris. The power cord drapes over the top of the steering column and to the 12v socket.

Tried one of those c.d. slot mounts and it was rubbish. Also felt that the slot could be damaged. Never even entertained a vent mount. Always seem a bit flimsy to me. And who wants hot air (winter)  blowing directly onto the satnav?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, Catlover said:

You can get TomTom maps for Android phones.

I do have a TomTom sat nav unit, I have had it placed on the extreme right hand end of the dash (to the right of the steering wheel) where it dies not obstruc view through windscreen.   I do prefer to use Waze on my mobile as a sat nav because its up to date due to waze users sending info re accidents, road works, even pot holes in roads are reported by wazers.

These days, I don't get why people still use a dedicated SatNav, especially with Android Auto / CarPlay ?

Waze has the most up to date maps, plus you do get close to realtime traffic situation, but you do need at least a 3G connection, otherwise it doesn't work (like it it doesn't, or didn't in 2017, work very well in the Australian Outback). TomTom works without a data connection, but without the data connection you don't get the realtime traffic updates.

I have a slight preference for TomTom, but I use both, especially in the big city, but here in the country much less so. The annual subscription (about a tenner, nest pas ?) is worth it to me. I think TomTom has better lane guidance, but the recent versions of Waze have come along nicely. I don't like the ads in Waze, but when driving they go away.

On 9/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, exim said:

I have the 6'' Tomtom Go. In the MK3 I had a cupholder mount so it was placed in the cupholder area. Of course, this is not possible with the MK4 as the cupholder is no longer at the front.

So, any ideas?

I have a Tom Tom Go but it is small in width than yours. It fits nicely in the recess in front of the drive selector and conveniently close to the connector plug socket. I actually don't use it much for navigation but do for speed camera detection, so it just lies flat on the screen so it can't be seen from the outside and just beeps me when approaching a camera. To use it for navigation I just turn it up the right way and adjust the angle to face me. That works well for me. I suggest getting a smaller sat nav or a bean bag. I prefer the portable Tom Tom also.