Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I 0 Plate Yaris alloys losing tyre pressure

Kevin Reid

Any advice on alloys which I have been told over time wear and seal goes losing air. Putting a about 5 bar in every couple of days. Told can no longer fit inner tubes. Have to get them refurbished or replaced.

Any members experienced similar issues?

Thanks

Kevin

Hi, if the car has standard valves and no fancy pressure monitor system you can give a go with can of tyre weld (puncture repair) and see how it goes, I have successfully seal old coroded alloy wheels that had slow pressure loss. Other than that perhaps you need to take of the tyre and repair the wheel. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-HT3YA-Tyreweld-400ml/dp/B000Y8WB8W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BILIUDPTAV78&dchild=1&keywords=tyre+weld&qid=1630865021&s=automotive&sr=1-3

C ant you just get the tyre or another re-fitted after checking where it's leaking and then cleaning up the rim and re-seali ng in that particular area 

Moved to the Yaris club.

Have you checked, using soapy water in a spray bottle, to try and find where the air is escaping?

Or, as suggested by gez, go to a tyre establishment and have them dunk each wheel in a bath of water for a hunt the bubbles exercise?

73lbf/sq. inch (5 bar)?!

some of the earlier yaris wheels suffered from corrosion around the inside lip leading to 'slow puncture' syndrome.  If your tyres are good, might be worth having the tyres removed, get the tyre shop to remove the corrosion on the inside lip, seal and then refit.  

+1, I had similar few years ago on set of alloys, not Toyota ones, took them to a tyre place, think they even tested them first so I could see leak, and then when tyre removed loads of crud on inner rim, cleaned them up and re-valved and all was good. The tyres were fairly new and good quality so knew it wasn't them.

9 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

some of the earlier yaris wheels suffered from corrosion around the inside lip leading to 'slow puncture' syndrome.  If your tyres are good, might be worth having the tyres removed, get the tyre shop to remove the corrosion on the inside lip, seal and then refit.  

I had a similar problem with my Ford Bmax, and fixed as you said. 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, if the car has standard valves and no fancy pressure monitor system you can give a go with can of tyre weld (puncture repair) and see how it goes, I have successfully seal old coroded alloy wheels that had slow pressure loss. Other than that perhaps you need to take of the tyre and repair the wheel. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-HT3YA-Tyreweld-400ml/dp/B000Y8WB8W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BILIUDPTAV78&dchild=1&keywords=tyre+weld&qid=1630865021&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Hi Tony, Thanks for the reply. Will see about repairing the rim amen the reseal.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:15 PM, gezhenry said:

C ant you just get the tyre or another re-fitted after checking where it's leaking and then cleaning up the rim and re-seali ng in that particular area 

Hi Gezhenry, The previous tyre was giving the same problem but as worn fitted a new set of four Dunlop tyres at MOT time but the issue has not gone away. I think therefore it is a reselling issue, replace the rims or time to trade in the car!

On 9/6/2021 at 9:49 AM, mrpj said:

Have you checked, using soapy water in a spray bottle, to try and find where the air is escaping?

Or, as suggested by gez, go to a tyre establishment and have them dunk each wheel in a bath of water for a hunt the bubbles exercise?

73lbf/sq. inch (5 bar)?!

My Toyota dealer did that and then applied some black stuff to the inside of the rim but has not stopped the problem. Looks like it is corrosion and as others have said the wheels will need refurbished to get the seal.

Thanks for suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

alloys can go porous over time. is it just 1 wheel or all 4?

Two front are the worst of the set.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:20 PM, Hadrian1 said:

I had a similar problem with my Ford Bmax, and fixed as you said. 

Hi, That seems to be the likely cause and solution.

Thanks

On 9/7/2021 at 5:49 PM, Puglet said:

+1, I had similar few years ago on set of alloys, not Toyota ones, took them to a tyre place, think they even tested them first so I could see leak, and then when tyre removed loads of crud on inner rim, cleaned them up and re-valved and all was good. The tyres were fairly new and good quality so knew it wasn't them.

My Toyota dealer put some black gunk on the inner rim but it has not stopped the leaking. The forum here suggests getting the inner rims cleaned down and reseated.

Thanks

On 9/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, flash22 said:

old/cheap tyres and or bad valve stems, tyres go off, they may have loads of life left on them, but they start to degrade and crack

if you look on the sidewall you will find the date code

https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre

No on third set of Dunlop SP Sport at 90k miles which it come with when we bought the car new. Will have to sort out getting the inner rims cleaned and resealed as others have suggested.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links