Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris Hybrid Active vs Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid

priusnoob

So,

Dad might need my car given he works in taxi, and it's easier to just pay me given I can easily use public transport and already am using public transport a lot, and anyway it got me thinking that tbh I don't "need" a Prius. The insurance for one costs a lot more on a Prius than it does on a Yaris or a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid (both having similar insurance groups) I needed it when I was at a place, where I had no place for my (folding) bike, and had to put it in the boot, but that's no longer an issue

Given that the insurance for the Yaris and the Ioniq hybrids are similar, what's actually the better car? I don't necessarily need the boot space of a Prius too tbh

I guess one thing with the Yaris, is you can enter ULEV zones for free, but I rarely go to London tbh. Northern cities may implement similar in the future, but by that time, I'd probably have an EV

Yaris is a small car , it’s like Hyundai i20, nowhere near ionic hybrid which is the size of a Prius or Corolla saloon. In general Hyundai are very good cars but Toyota hybrid drivetrain is way better than Hyundai, actually Toyota are the best hybrids on the market. 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Yaris is a small car , it’s like Hyundai i20, nowhere near ionic hybrid which is the size of a Prius or Corolla saloon. In general Hyundai are very good cars but Toyota hybrid drivetrain is way better than Hyundai, actually Toyota are the best hybrids on the market. 👍

That too, is one reason why I was looking at the Yaris given Toyota may be well behind, when it comes to EVs, but they're certainly not when it comes to hybrids.

• Like 1

Just now, priusnoob said:

That too, is one reason why I was looking at the Yaris given Toyota may be well behind, when it comes to EVs, but they're certainly not when it comes to hybrids.

Prius proof to be the best for that purpose and tbh it’s still the most popular ph car in London for a good reason. 👍 Yaris may be ok for taxi too since has as much space as Corolla hatchback on the rear seats but lack of boot space may cause airport runs cancellations., you need to think about that too. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Prius proof to be the best for that purpose and tbh it’s still the most popular ph car in London for a good reason. 👍 Yaris may be ok for taxi too since has as much space as Corolla hatchback on the rear seats but lack of boot space may cause airport runs cancellations., you need to think about that too. 

I don't do taxi myself. I just happen to have a Prius , that my dad wants 😄 It's essentially a lot easier for me to shop around for a car, as I don't "need" a car for my job, and I really don't like driving in city centres. It's manic

My dad wanted something with a big boot space given he drops people off at the airport a lot (ie: my car is a possible one he wants). That's why I was looking at either the Yaris OR the Ioniq (for myself, after selling it to my dad) . It's not a necessity for my job, especially when I can do it at home.

2 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

I don't do taxi myself. I just happen to have a Prius , that my dad wants 😄 It's essentially a lot easier for me to shop around for a car, as I don't "need" a car for my job, and I really don't like driving in city centres. It's manic

My dad wanted something with a big boot space given he drops people off at the airport a lot

In that case Prius or Corolla estate are good choice. 👍

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

In that case Prius or Corolla estate are good choice. 👍

Sure, for my dad anyway. I was more wondering about myself , looking at either the Yaris or the Ioniq (given that the insurance on these is way cheaper, and I need an A to B car) I've done 10K miles in 18 months for reference, and now that's slashed right down, due to where my new job is.

If you only doing low miles per year have you though about a Yaris petrol?

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Can you still buy a new one in the UK?

6 minutes ago, CPN said:

Can you still buy a new one in the UK?

Definitely wouldn't be buying a new one rbh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think the biggy is that they're 1 litre engines for the most part? A 1 litre engine isn't enough tbh, given when I do drive it'll be on the motorway for the most part. The hybrids are 1.5l I believe. That, and it's got a Battery to get some "oomph" too

The reasons for not considering the Aygo for example, even though insurance is incredibly cheap on those is due to barely any boot space and only having a piddly engine

The Yaris Active was the base model of the previous generation. 

19 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

it'll be on the motorway for the most part. The hybrids are 1.5l I believe. That, and it's got a battery to get some "oomph" too

There is another recent thread that discussed this (Yaris Hybrid - Buying question) and the general opinion was that if you want motorway 'oomph' the Mk3 1.5 Hybrid probably won't make you smile. (Personally I have no problem with it ... mine seems fine and SWMBO hasn't complained either.)

As @catlover suggests, if you don't do a lot of miles a non-hybrid might be better for you. The hybrids are more expensive, even used, and so you need to do enough miles to recoup that in better mpg numbers.

• Like 2

The Ioniq hybrid is also a popular taxi car so if you get one your dad can nick that off you if he bins the Prius :laugh: 

re. the Mk3 Yaris, they did do non-hybrid versions with a 1.33 petrol engine and, later, a 1.5 (The 1.5 is atkinson/miller cycle tho' so it doesn't feel much more powerful than the 1.33)

You mention the primary use will be motorways; If you don't need to go into city centres or places that are anti-diesel then a Mk1 or Mk2 diesel Yaris might be worth a look. The 1.4 D4D diesel engine is one of the best engines Toyota have made (IMHO) - They are far more powerful than any of the petrol engines and have better mpg than all but the Mk4 Yaris hybrid. The cars also have vastly better interior storage than the Mk3 and Mk4, with the Mk2 in particular having way more rear leg room than the Mk3 or Mk4 if you slide the rear seats back.

If it wasn't for this stupid London ULEZ I'd still have my Mk1 diesel!

With people selling their diesels in droves ahead of all these diesel-penalizing ULEZes popping up everywhere they should be pretty cheap too!

Not good long-termers for that reason, but if you're saving for an EV (Like I was before circumstances beyond my control ended up with me blowing all the money I'd saved so far on the Mk4 Yaris!), then you probably just want something cheap to buy and run that will last until you can get the EV, and those could fit the bill!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Yaris Active was the base model of the previous generation. 

Thanks. I've had a look on autotrader, and there isn't a huge cost difference between petrol and petrol hybrid once you consider the age difference. It's looking like a 1K difference but 2013 vs 2017

8 hours ago, MikeSh said:

There is another recent thread that discussed this (Yaris Hybrid - Buying question) and the general opinion was that if you want motorway 'oomph' the Mk3 1.5 Hybrid probably won't make you smile. (Personally I have no problem with it ... mine seems fine and SWMBO hasn't complained either.)

As @catlover suggests, if you don't do a lot of miles a non-hybrid might be better for you. The hybrids are more expensive, even used, and so you need to do enough miles to recoup that in better mpg numbers.

Could you retrofit a reversing camera and a stereo in older Yaris'? Once I up the mileage on auto trader to about 90K miles, the older Yaris' are really quite cheap 

A reverse camera does make for easier parking 

5 hours ago, priusnoob said:

Could you retrofit a reversing camera and a stereo in older Yaris'?

yes

• Like 1