Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy….

Flatcoat

Having driven various hybrids in recent weeks and currently driving a diesel PHEV I found the RAV4 AWD I drove on Saturday noisy. I noted the boot is very plasticky (every other car has a fully carpet lined boot). Has anyone felt it necessary to do some mods to reduce noise? Predominately road (tyres?) and engine. 

Engine can be noisy when you are in full pwr mode as it is running full blast.  It should then quieten right down once you are cruising, and even switch off to EV mode.  

There's no real way around this apart from more gentle acceleration.

The test drive car you had might not have had much charge in the hybrid Battery so would run the engine more than normal.  

My boot has a carpet floor tray but plastic sides.  I've never been in a car with carpet on the sides?

• Like 1

As above, the engine isn't the quietest in the world - this is probably due to it's being a 2.5 litre, 4 cylinder, Atkinson cycle motor. There's nothing much we can do about that.

Stock tyres are chosen for fuel economy rather than quietness. Tyre noise can be reduced by fitting 'quieter' tyres - in my case Michelin Cross Climates but other premium brands are available.

Toyotas are mass produced to a budget so have a reasonable amount of sound deadening but err on the side of practicality rather than plushness. For an better quality of trim one needs to look to the more premium brands.

What one does get with a Toyota hybrid is a best in class hybrid motor, backed with many years of hybrid experience that other marques simply cannot match.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

The tyres can make a huge difference.

On my last 2 cars (sorry!) I switched to Dunlop Sport BluResponse as soon as I could which were noise rated at 68 dB.  Although the ratings aren't necessarily reliable, I did find they made a very noticeable improvement, all the more evident when I switched to Nokian tyres for  the winter.

Owners of 4.5 RAVs have reported a number of different brands of tyre being fitted from the factory.  Mine came on Bridgestone Alenza H/L which are ok for noise but not fantastic.  For the winter I switch to Vredestein Quatrac 5 SUV All Season XL which surprisingly are actually very slightly quieter.

I rarely floor the throttle and find the car very relaxed and reasonably quiet up to around 50 mph, not too bad but not the best above that.  One thing I have found is that when you want to apply full power, smoothly squeezing the peal to the floor over a second or so still gives a decent shove, but with less of a roar than if you stamp on the pedal.  I think it persuades the Hybrid software that things are not quite so urgent.

Even my wife’s base model SEAT Arona has carpeted boot throughout as did my previous generation Passat, the Tucson and MG we have driven in the last month. Is Hyundai premium?. Accelerating gently is all well in theory but when joining a fast motorway with a caravan in tow you cannot hang around! 

The Atkinson cycle ICE combined with a CVT is a potential noisy combination, many CVT’s are anyway if pushed. I think the Toyota CVT is pretty good and better than my recent Subaru XV. I think the clever implementation of the Atkinson works extremely well for a Hybrid/PHEV but it’s noticeable  ‘growl’ when in HEV mode and pushing up a steep hill (1:8) in EV mode it’s just like driving on the flat, whisper quiet. 
The Atkinson is always going to be noisier than many other options. Me, I’m happy with the combination it’s works.

Personal choice in covering boot space, I’ve always disliked carpeted areas as they show so many marks and I can not always cover the area if I’m carrying a few bags of cement.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

I’ve always disliked carpeted areas as they show so many marks and I can not always cover the area if I’m carrying a few bags of cement.

& plastic is easier to wash. Horses for courses.

Just as well you have driven it then - although it sounds as if you really did want it to suit you.

There is a thread about the new Yaris Cross where some have ordered before being able to see it far less drive it. I visited our local dealer today to assess the suitability regarding access for my wife who has Parkinson's. And I did want to like it.

Big disappointment. The cill has a very sharp line which catches the back of your calf. This was reminiscent of my Yeti where the doors are set within the door frames unlike the RAV4 which wraps over the cill and is unobtrusive on entry and exit. This design is a cheaper way of providing enough torsional rigidity but at the expense of comfort for someone like myself and my wife.

I had thought the Yeti was as a result of its (by now) very old design. But it was noticeable in the new Honda Jazz Crossstar as well but not as sharp as the design of the cill in the Yaris Cross.

Nature's way of saying stick with the RAV4 I suppose 😀.

Yes I do want the RAV to work for me but in the region of £10k less and PHEV the MG is a very close contender. The RAV has 4wd and larger boot, better drivers car, the MG is PHEV, quieter, more powerful and arguably better spec. 

9 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Yes I do want the RAV to work for me but in the region of £10k less and PHEV the MG is a very close contender. The RAV has 4wd and larger boot, better drivers car, the MG is PHEV, quieter, more powerful and arguably better spec. 

Is it too early to rate the overall experience of ownership and reliability of the MG compared to the proven record of Toyota?

I don't know.

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Spelling

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links