Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help choosing T27 (2009-2011) petrol/diesel automatic

ktauto

Hi all,

First time poster and hope you guys can help me pick out my first Toyota -- I am after a used T27.  The year range I am shooting for is 2009 to 2011.  I would be driving this mostly city and some longer trips 1-2 times a month during weekends.  My requirements are:

• reliability
  • horsepower 140-150
  • strongly prefer automatic
  • prefer petrol, but diesels are more widely available locally so willing to compromise
  • prefer the sedan, but willing to compromise with the estate form factor

Need to narrow down my search to specific engines, can you help me answer these questions:

Question 1: are automatic transmissions reliable in the 2009-2011 range and would they still last?

Question 2: is the petrol Multidrive CVT (is it a 5 speed?) automatic more/less reliable than the diesel 6 speed automatic?

Question 3: If I encouter problems with the automatic is the repair too expensive so better not to go that route?

I know the diesel versions will be more expensive to maintain but there is more of them to choose from thus I am considering them.

In my opinion the estate looks much better then the saloon and of course more practicality. 

• Like 1

You say that you will mostly be driving in your city. Here in the UK some cities (including London) charge for entry of older cars. This is stricter for Diesel (2015 or older) that petrol (2005 or older). You may want to check if your city and country are planning something similar before choosing a Diesel.

That's a good point.  It is my inderstanding that diesels prior to 2009 will be forrbidden to enter the city.  So should be fine with the T27 I thnk.

1 hour ago, ktauto said:

Need to narrow down my search to specific engines, can you help me answer these questions:

Question 1: are automatic transmissions reliable in the 2009-2011 range and would they still last?

Question 2: is the petrol Multidrive CVT (is it a 5 speed?) automatic more/less reliable than the diesel 6 speed automatic?

Question 3: If I encouter problems with the automatic is the repair too expensive so better not to go that route?

I know the diesel versions will be more expensive to maintain but there is more of them to choose from thus I am considering them.

Hi Kurt, welcome to TOC.

The 2 petrols likely to be available to you that fit your requirements will be the 1.8 & 2.0 Valvematics.

Q1. yes

Q2 no, it's a CVT so stepless but iirc if manually selected can imitate a 7 speed. probably similar reliability

Q3 if it does go wrong the CVT is likely to be much more expensive to repair than the TC on the diesels. Far fewer outlets can handle them & typically they get replaced anyway rather than fixed which would be uneconomic on a 2009-2011 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Q1. yes

Q2 no, it's a CVT so stepless but iirc if manually selected can imitate a 7 speed. probably similar reliability

Q3 if it does go wrong the CVT is likely to be much more expensive to repair than the TC on the diesels. Far fewer outlets can handle them & typically they get replaced anyway rather than fixed which would be uneconomic on a 2009-2011 

Thanks!  So a 1.8 or 2.0 petrol automatic is a good way to go, decent reliability.  It sounds like there is a small chance to go bad and is similar to the diesel automatic reliability.  I ran some stats on the calssifieds locally to show you what's available as the cheapest listing (not choosing what is decent and well maintained).

• Cheapest petrol manual - Eur 5k-6k (16 listings)
  • Cheapest petrol automatic - Eur 6k-7k (5 listings)
  • Cheapest diesel manual - Eur 3k-4k (71 listings)
  • Cheapest diesel automatic - Eur 4.5k-5.5k (24 listings)

Looking at the data, the ratio of petrol to diesel listings is 1:5.  I am wondering isn't it justifiable to go with a diesel automatic given the fact that there are more to choose from and seem to be about 2k cheaper as a starting price.

1 hour ago, ktauto said:

I am wondering isn't it justifiable to go with a diesel automatic given the fact that there are more to choose from and seem to be about 2k cheaper as a starting price.

As long as you go into it knowing the potential costs on a diesel if it goes wrong (turbo, intercooler, injectors, DMF, DPF if fitted) & check that it won't be prevented from entering local cities due to low emissions zones. A 2009 Avensis T27 diesel will probably be Euro V.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktauto said:

Hi all,

First time poster and hope you guys can help me pick out my first Toyota -- I am after a used T27.  The year range I am shooting for is 2009 to 2011.  I would be driving this mostly city and some longer trips 1-2 times a month during weekends.  My requirements are:

• reliability
  • horsepower 140-150
  • strongly prefer automatic
  • prefer petrol, but diesels are more widely available locally so willing to compromise
  • prefer the sedan, but willing to compromise with the estate form factor

if going for diesel go for a 2014 2.0d4d one as the newer ones come with a bmw n47 diesel engine and well we all know how bmw engines last .the only thing that could go wrong is the dpf only if not many miles covered but i have one and well mine is a 2014 and got 44k genuine on clock now was 38k when i got it so well if dpf goes its going to happen but if give it a good thrashing when get it out on weekends r whenever should be ok. i know a few taxi guys had one the same and well they said never had any bother with them even the dpf .so not sure the engine u looking if going for diesel is a 2.0 d4d 1ADFTV engine code one 

don't think that he will find a 1AD-FTV with an auto transmission though (at least you would not in the UK).

Most likely  2.2 D-CAT/AUTO & the combo is quite thirsty.

The only improvement of the N47-derived (Toyota did have mods) diesels imo is that they are Euro VI. 

I recently moved to Finland from the UK and bought a T27 Avensis Estate 1.8 petrol auto, in Finland they are trying to phase out Diesel Cars and the road tax is over 3 times as high on a diesel than a Petrol and diesel residual prices falling hard.

The 1.8 Petrol has over the first 4,000 miles returned 7.1 ltr per 100km (or 42mpg in real money) I am reasonably happy with that consumption

Also to add, I would suggest 1.8 or higher. I have a 1.6 d4d and it's good for around town. But for longer journeys I would have preferred a bigger engine.