Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premium fuels in a hybrid?

Flatcoat

This topic may already exist on here so apologies however does anyone use Vpower type fuels in their hybrid with discernible benefits? I use them in my current diesel (have done for 15 years) and am convinced of the benefits. I know some will say all fuels are to BS blah blah and all the same however I would appreciate feedback on premium petrol. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

fuels are actually as important as engine oil or transmission oil, get the wrong type or poor quality and you can easily cause damage to your car. I drive old gen 3 hybrid exclusively on motorways and I found that different petrol makes noticeable difference in engine noise and performance, consumption wise not a significant difference. Before the new 95 E10 arrived last week I experienced best performance with BP 95 E5, after the change I tried Tesco momentum 99 E5 and was as good as BP 95 E5 or even better, then I did two tanks of BP 95 E10 the new standard for regular petrol in Uk and I am disappointed, the engine is noisier than before and not as responsive, building up speed to join the A roads and motorways require a lot more push than with previous E5 or premium 99 therefore I am sticking to 99 petrol as I believe is better for the car. Prices are same or similar since I will use Tesco instead of bp or Shell garages. That’s my experience for now. 👍

• Like 1

It does seem very engine dependent - Used to use V-Power diesel on my old Yaris 1.4 D4Ds every 4th/5th fillup - Every time, very noticeable difference; Engine clatter was much smoother, engine felt more willing to rev, slight loss of torque at lower RPMs but you got it back at the higher end.

Tried it in my dad's old Corolla Verso 2.0 D4D - No noticeable difference.

Have also tried the V-Power petrol on my old Mk2 1.33 and my current Mk4 Hybrid but neither of those showed any noticeable performance difference either.

I think the biggest benefit of V-Power is to give the engine a good clean out now and then; It has a lot more detergents in it and regular petrol/diesel so will help remove any deposits/scale in the fuel lines, injectors etc.

• Like 2

I've started putting Tesco Momentum in my Mk 4 Yaris Hybrid.  All seems well and smooth with it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have never been overly keen on 3 cylinder engines, having owned two, they are just not as quiet and smooth as a 4 cylinder.  However having recently had a couple of fills with Tesco 99 my Corolla it is now so smooth and nice to drive the only way I can tell if the engine is running in normal circumstances is by looking at the energy flow monitor so I was wondering if any Yaris owners had made the switch to 99 octane and whether the engine has benefited from the change.   I ask because I like the size of the Yaris Cross, I think it would suit me perfectly but it is only available with the 3 cylinder engine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

I have never been overly keen on 3 cylinder engines, having owned two, they are just not as quiet and smooth as a 4 cylinder.  However having recently had a couple of fills with Tesco 99 my Corolla it is now so smooth and nice to drive the only way I can tell if the engine is running in normal circumstances is by looking at the energy flow monitor so I was wondering if any Yaris owners had made the switch to 99 octane and whether the engine has benefited from the change.   I ask because I like the size of the Yaris Cross, I think it would suit me perfectly but it is only available with the 3 cylinder engine. 

Due to the fuel crisis i had to put some E10 BP in today, nothing else available. But i usually run my MK4 Yaris on Tesco Momentum. Get brilliant fuel exonomy on it and it's nice and smooth. I've owned a few 3 cylinder cars before and the Yaris is lovely and smooth

• Like 3

Yeah it is a bit rough if you're used to the buttery smoothness of modern 4-cylinder petrols. Thankfully I'm a diesel person and find the 3 cylinder rumble very pleasant! :biggrin: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I only fill up every two months, so I only use higher grade fuel

• Like 1

A similar discussion on a US RAV4 Facebook page seems very against premium fuels and suggest no benefits. I used 2SO as an additive in my 3cyl diesel Audi A2 and premium diesel. Made a very noticeable difference and did no harm in well over 100k miles. One of my top 5 cars in 45 years of driving/owning over 50 cars.