Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wind Noise from B Pillar above 60mph (2021 Yaris)

GR Weasel

Does anyone else get a little wind noise from the b pillar area both driver and passenger side at high speeds ? Is it normal?

Sounds like if the window is not completely closed, it's not that loud and is quite faint but just wondering If it's normal.

• Thanks 1

Asked the same question yesterday , i had a test drive no radio on ,car generally very quiet but felt the same at speed ,positives outway the negative ? 

What do you mean with B pillar? The pillar between front and back door.

If so I'm pleased that someone else is noting it.  I've asked to other Yaris owners but they didn't note it.  I've also asked Toyota assistance to check but they didn't find nothing strange.  

I've checked right rear back door gaskets (  you probably are hearing the noise coming from left one due to reversed drive position ) but they seem ok.

Unluckily when I've made test drive, windows had to be open due to Covid rules so it was impossible to note a similar issue.  I think that it's caused by a bad acoustic isolation on back wheel arches.

I notice that the rubber seals around the doors are not glued on, dunno if thats nromal, can just peel them off with ease. Its not a big issue but i can imagine on longer motorway journeys the noise would  get annoying. 

I never noticed it in the previous yaris (y20) but do in this one.

Anyone happy to record the noise on a video and share with others? Wind noises are not something unusual for Toyota cars especially on motorway speeds, although should be some sort of acceptance, if too bad Toyota should look into it. Vw polo for example drives better than Corolla and it’s probably quieter than Camry when you cruise on motorway, but that is typical for German cars. 👍

On 9/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, GR Weasel said:

I notice that the rubber seals around the doors are not glued on, dunno if thats nromal, can just peel them off with ease. Its not a big issue but i can imagine on longer motorway journeys the noise would  get annoying. 

I never noticed it in the previous yaris (y20) but do in this one.

The rubber seal is also not glued on on the driver door of my new Yaris. The wind noise probably came through the gap in the seal when driving at higher speed. Has anyone find a way to fix the seal to the door?

i think the hiss comes from the driver's window. really poor toyota quality

has anyone tried wind deflectors

image.thumb.jpeg.34c668d8a0843d737a8afce7b11788c1.jpeg

I don’t notice any unusual wind noise, I would expect wind noise to increase as speed gets increasingly higher.

• Like 1

If you have an air compressor you can try and replicate the wind noise in the offending area by blowing across the seal with the air gun attachment.  It could/should give an indication of the potential problem area - assuming its the seals of course.

I've been using tape to try and find the source of the noise but had no luck, taped the entire gap between the front and rear door. Taped the gap between window and the door and but some D rubber seals down the b pillar and around the top of the door. 

Might be coming from somewhere else but is just escaping near the b pillar. 

Will be hard to record the noise while driving unless I can get someone do it from the passenger seat as I'm pretty sure it comes from both sides. Or sit behind the driver seat.

1 hour ago, GR Weasel said:

I've been using tape to try and find the source of the noise but had no luck, taped the entire gap between the front and rear door. Taped the gap between window and the door and but some D rubber seals down the b pillar and around the top of the door. 

Might be coming from somewhere else but is just escaping near the b pillar. 

Will be hard to record the noise while driving unless I can get someone do it from the passenger seat as I'm pretty sure it comes from both sides. Or sit behind the driver seat.

Ok, it might not be from the seals as you said. My car is very different but there is something interesting to share.  I have no noises while on motorways thankfully but when it’s windy outside and I am taking a nap in the car with seat down I can feel an air blow coming from the rear door handle , when I put my hand there I can feel a stream of air coming from behind the handle, surprisingly no noises when driving, or at least not so prominent and I can’t notice them. My gf car had her windscreen replaced and ever since there were noises and wind blow bottom left corner where the windshield meets the dashboard, what a poor workmanship done, it was so loud that you can hear loud and clear the generator whine when the car was coming into stop, it was on my list for investigation and repair but she sold the car before I had time to look into it. Maybe you can give someone else to drive and you can seat behind to look for the noise and it comes from. 👍

34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, it might not be from the seals as you said. My car is very different but there is something interesting to share.  I have no noises while on motorways thankfully but when it’s windy outside and I am taking a nap in the car with seat down I can feel an air blow coming from the rear door handle , when I put my hand there I can feel a stream of air coming from behind the handle, surprisingly no noises when driving, or at least not so prominent and I can’t notice them. My gf car had her windscreen replaced and ever since there were noises and wind blow bottom left corner where the windshield meets the dashboard, what a poor workmanship done, it was so loud that you can hear loud and clear the generator whine when the car was coming into stop, it was on my list for investigation and repair but she sold the car before I had time to look into it. Maybe you can give someone else to drive and you can seat behind to look for the noise and it comes from. 👍

Thanks the for advice , going to try windscreen next see if the wind is getting into any gaps between the windshield roof and the headlining. All else fails will ring Toyota dealer and see if they know if it's a common issue. 

• Thanks 1

A you tube video test mentioned wind at B pillar and 'across the windscreen ' ? . On my test drive only noticed the B pillar at around 60 ,felt as though window was slightly open ,which it wasn't . Rest of car was great .

On 9/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, GR Weasel said:

Does anyone else get a little wind noise from the b pillar area both driver and passenger side at high speeds ? Is it normal?

Sounds like if the window is not completely closed, it's not that loud and is quite faint but just wondering If it's normal.

I have noticed a hissing sound at speeds over 55mph but have not identified where it originates from, perhaps it does come from the B pillar. But that is a small issue compared to the road noise in the cabin , even at slow speeds I hear what sounds like a jet aircraft taking off in the distance depending on the road surface, plus the 'nock' sounds that comes through the suspension at every slight imperfection on the road surface. My car is a Yaris Dynamic, so has 17 inch wheels and sports suspension - I guess that's why this is one of the noisiest cars I've ever owned.

• 2 months later...

I did around 100 km yesterday at higher speed ( 107 km/h) and also heard this noise. I checked if all the windows were completely closed, which they were, but it still felt like the driver's window was a bit open. I will probably contact Toyota, because the car isn't even 2 weeks old so that it is probably some factory problem. 

• Like 1

I too have noticed this noise also at lower speeds ( 70-80 Km/h ) since I got the car.  I've asked to other people and only few ones notices noise. 

I've asked Toyota assistance for a check and they didn't notice anything strange.

I've 16" inch wheels

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone found a way to fix this? I have the same issue on my 2021 Yaris Hybrid. Toon it to a dealer but they didn’t do anything about it.

Not quite sure whether the noise comes from the window or the gap between the fron and rear door.

• Like 2