Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I believe that the Toyota dealership have sold me the wrong Ah battery for my aygo.

jahel

My petrol Toyota Aygo 2010 1.0 VVT-iM/M according to online sources should not take anything higher than 42Ah, yet when I was able to check the Battery it shows a 12V 52Ah BCI 480A EN 470A label. Am I right in thinking the Ah on this Battery would destroy the alternator? + I have no transport! 

34 minutes ago, jahel said:

My petrol Toyota Aygo 2010 1.0 VVT-iM/M according to online sources should not take anything higher than 42Ah, yet when I was able to check the battery it shows a 12V 52Ah BCI 480A EN 470A label. Am I right in thinking the Ah on this battery would destroy the alternator? + I have no transport! 

Nope.

In fact, you are MUCH better off with a Battery that exceeds it's recommended capacity.

That's because a Battery with a bigger capacity "Typically" have a longer useful life than a smaller one.

The very reason why people prefer to fit a 063 Battery over the standard 202 on a Gen 1 Aygo.

(Higher Capacity, Stronger Cold Cranking Amp (CCA).  It takes much longer time for CCA degrades to a point that can no longer start the car.)

As for Question: Will larger battery wears down Alternator faster?

Some people say yes, some people say no.  Some even came up with a theory that it might extend the life of the alternator.  However, the consensus is that: it has very little to no effect to the life of the Alternator.

• Like 3

will be fine , sinse the beginning of driving folk have fitted bigger or better batterys to their cars for the improved performance 

what did they charge you?  i wouldnt be buying from a main dealer when you can get a nice 063 varta for £50 odd 

10 hours ago, Vandals01 said:

As for Question: Will larger battery wears down Alternator faster?

Some people say yes, some people say no.  Some even came up with a theory that it might extend the life of the alternator.  However, the consensus is that: it has very little to no effect to the life of the Alternator.

The alternator will only supply the current needed to recharge the Battery, up to the alternators maximum output, a larger Battery cannot cause the alternator to output more than it is specified to.

On my previous petrol C1 (Citroen badged version of Aygo) I had a cold climate diesel Battery fitted (physically almost twice the size and twice the Ah rating) for 10 YEARS and it was still on he original alternator when I part-ex'd it in 2020.

if you think about it...the use will be the same to start the car or use the headlamps etc , so the alternator will work just the same to replace whats used

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the replies. I feel much less nervous now. This battery on a shopping site is identical to the one that I carried home; Genuine Toyota CHR hybrid 12V battery ZVW50 ZVW52 4th generation 2016 onwards. It is extremely heavy. I still haven't recovered from carrying it 1/2 mile in 30+ heat!

I had read that the Ah must not be more than 10% over, & my original Battery would have been 40Ah. 3 years ago I had trouble finding someone to come out to sort dead car, & the only garage that were willing to come charged the 8 year old Battery, then said it would need an overnight charge, so they drove the car away. Next day they brought it back saying it needed a new Battery after all, then added that they replaced indicators break pads & both wipers. Fait accompli. The battery they installed appeared to be old & has a Renault sticker on it. They then charged me over £390.The car had only done 8000 miles. 0 had changed but the battery. This time the car is totally dead no electrics - same as before.

I now have a garage phobia... The other day I walked to several garages & they all told me only Aygo could supply me with a battery, so I had no choice but to head for toyota & buy it for £60. I suspect it was the only battery they had in stock. They supplied me with the number of a mechanic that comes out too. I don't trust Toyota dealership as they ripped me off when I bought the car. If anyone suggests that the car needs to go in, or if indi mechanic won't fit the new battery I would have to have it dumped - as my health is very poor & cortisol levels very low, so cannot afford the stress or expense. I would fit the battery myself but even if I had the socket extender needed - I doubt I would have the strength to loosen rusty nut. BTW there are no guarentees on anything where I live.(no consumer rights). I'll phone mechanic tomorrow. Will report back soon I hope. Once again thanks.🥰

£60 Battery from the dealership sounds about right.  I think my dealership is around the same price, if not, a bit lower (say £50)

The thing about Battery is:  It needs to be fresh, I.e manufactured not long ago.  There is usually a manufactured date stamped on the Battery where the last 2 number "Usually" corresponds to the year of manufactured.

Why it has to be fresh?  Lead-Acid battery loses its capacity the second it was filled with acid.  So you'll want to buy it from a place where people usually gets their batteries.

Then, when a battery is fully drained.  Unless it is a fairly new battery, otherwise that battery is well on its way to the junk yard / recycle centre.   I've seen too many cases where battery were drained, few weeks / few months later, they needed a new one. 

Thanks again Vandals 01. The 'needs to be fresh' Battery is the main reason I went on foot to the garages. The aygo has only done around 9000 miles.The MOTRiO LBI 45Ah 400A Battery that the ripoff garage installed 3 years ago is the cheapest one could buy at only 25 euros according to online sources, but I would prefer a Battery that lasts more than 3 years, & importing battery direct or through internet is not possible here, so I did well at only £60 including tax. The date on new battery is JULY 21. 😁

11 hours ago, jahel said:

I had read that the Ah must not be more than 10% over🥰

Don't trust where you read that, it's 100% NOT true.

There is a LOT of misinformation on the internet (I would go so far as to say that most of what is on social media sites is wrong) and even some apparently trustworthy sites are often wrong (I gave up trying to correct some misinformation on Wikipedia on a subject I had actually worked on when someone with no first hand knowledge kept "un-correcting" it!).

• Thanks 1

AH is the capacity (max theoretical) a higher AH means it will store more as you have the overhead the Battery should last longer

• Thanks 1