Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021 Yaris EV mode.

Hadrian1

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Thank you so much for that app👍 I just downloaded and used with Carista obd adapter and works great. Will play more later when I go out with the car. 👌🚘

You're very welcome! 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPN said:

No, it won't. Going into EV mode is actively prevented when in "B" mode (which gives a measure of engine braking when the battery has reached Max SoC - it also has the effect of "dumping" the excess juice when the battery can't usefully use it anymore for charging) and is why I asked the question...

Then it can't be in B...OP stated it goes into EV Mode if pressing the EV button

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, in which country are you located and what is the air temperature when you are driving ?

In very hot or very cold weather the ice can be running more than in a moderate temperatures.

Have you got any warning lights on the dashboard? If you believe that there is a fault with the car and dealer says there isn’t, better to take it to another dealer without telling them that you have already been with other garage and see what they will tell you. Not sure about your Yaris but most of the Toyota hybrids has a high pressure oil pump connected directly to the engine crankshaft and since the oil not only lubricates but also is used as extra cooling in certain temperatures the engine may kicks in to rotate this pump to add extra cooling to the transmission, motors bearing etc. Perhaps you can try to drive the car as usual during the night when it’s not so hot and see if you have the same problem, if the car still drives with running ice than it’s not that and technicians should look into it. 
Good luck 

I'm in Finland, temperature in past few weeks has been around 12-18 celcius. Like I said, I have been driving 8 different Yarises during summer and winter. Actually, this situation brings my mind hybrid winter behavior, but temperature is well beyond +10.

And Im driving with D, not B 🙂

Anyways, local dealership told me that they will lend me replacement car free of cost. I should try it and if that car will behave differently, they will investigate. Trying to pick the replacement tomorrow before eveningshift. We'll see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikelius said:

I'm in Finland, temperature in past few weeks has been around 12-18 celcius. Like I said, I have been driving 8 different Yarises during summer and winter. Actually, this situation brings my mind hybrid winter behavior, but temperature is well beyond +10.

Anyways, local dealership told me that they will lend me replacement car free of cost. I should try it and if that car will behave differently, they will investigate. Trying to pick the replacement tomorrow before eveningshift. We'll see. 

Cool, please keep us informed what happens. Wish you Good luck 👍

2 hours ago, Mikelius said:

Touché lol! 😉

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, Mikelius said:

Anyone else had problems with EV-Mode? My New Yaris started acting strange less than a month ago. 

Hybrid battery charges full,seems to use ev, but fuel consuption seems to be about 1 litre per 100km and ev light wont light up. 

I contacted local dealership and they insist that this is normal behavior. Yet, I have driven 8 different Yarises 2016-2018 because of my work, and this is first time I encounter this. 

Forced ev still works but car wont switch to ev by itself. 

Mikko, when you "force ev" as you put it (presumably by pressing the button), is that at low speed and does the ICE cut out or does it beep at you and keep the ICE running? I guess I'm not completely understanding how you are describing it... for example, if you are going faster than, say, 45-50kph then the system won't permit you to switch into EV mode normally because the system wants to decide on its own depending on how the car is being driven at the time?

Another example, you cannot be cruising along at say 90-100kph and expect to be able to manually switch to EV mode at that speed? By the same token, it is quite possible that the car may itself switch into pure EV mode at those kind of speeds if you are on a flat road or downward incline and a gentle throttle position... Perhaps I am not getting it...

10 hours ago, CPN said:

Mikko, when you "force ev" as you put it (presumably by pressing the button), is that at low speed and does the ICE cut out or does it beep at you and keep the ICE running? I guess I'm not completely understanding how you are describing it... for example, if you are going faster than, say, 45-50kph then the system won't permit you to switch into EV mode normally because the system wants to decide on its own depending on how the car is being driven at the time?

Another example, you cannot be cruising along at say 90-100kph and expect to be able to manually switch to EV mode at that speed? By the same token, it is quite possible that the car may itself switch into pure EV mode at those kind of speeds if you are on a flat road or downward incline and a gentle throttle position... Perhaps I am not getting it...

Yep, It cant be "forced" if Im going over 40. And the problem is that car wont chance from petrol No matter the speed. 

I got the replacement car few hours ago. I left home, my own car did chance itself to ev AFTER 7,3km drive. Speed was about 60km/h. The replacement went ev by itself after 400meters. So it would seem Im not completly mad😃

Well, I'll keep trying with new car for few days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably your car has a dirty GPF filter and needs some time to warmup it to burn particulate.

To burn particulate the filter must be hot and receive exaust gas with an high quantity of oxigen.  Usually gasoline car produce a gas very poor of oxigen when running and pump fresh air during release when engine works as a brake.  Due to the regenerative braking the braking effect of ICE is lower on a Toyota Hybrid car than a conventional gasoline car without an electric motor that converts cinetic energy in electricity.  Moreover due to he discontinuos use of ICE the GPF filter can cool down more easily on a hybrid car so the ECU forces ICE to stay on more than normal.  

If your trips are short and with frequent stops ( like city use ) or with a costant speed without decelerations ( like highway ) the cleanup is more difficult and until the cleanup cycle is incomplete the car shows a lower use of EV.  

Usually forcing some release with quick acceleration and deceleation can quicken the cleanup phase.

In Italy some user has complained with dealers and on at least two cars of volountaries, Toyota technicians has installed for some week an data logger to get more detailed information on what was happening under the hood.  But after data capture nobody had news on the analsys results. 

The issue seem to be more evident when climate is rainy and temperature is not too hot and not too cold ( around 10 Celsius ) probably because ICE still warms-up quicky but air is sufficiently cold to cool down GPF.  

Probably the issue is still present with colder air but it's more difficulto to note due ICE normally stays on longer with cold air temperature.

Thanks for all of the info regarding getting into EV mode.  I have now achieved what I wanted to do.

I don't understand what a couple of car reviewers have stated, when they say you can get up to 80mph in EV mode  ?

17 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Thanks for all of the info regarding getting into EV mode.  I have now achieved what I wanted to do.

I don't understand what a couple of car reviewers have stated, when they say you can get up to 80mph in EV mode  ?

Most of these reviews word it badly and lead you to believe that what they have done is press the button for "EV mode" and then slowly crawled up to 80 mph in Battery only; which is impossible in Toyota's Hybrids of any Mk. I don't know why they bothered with an EV button in the first place. It is a complete waste of space.

What they are actually describing is what used to be referred to jokingly as "Super Milk Float" mode in the Mk3 (if you ever managed it) but in the Mk4 it is easier to make happen. The car has to fully warmed up in "S4" mode and the HV Battery needs to be at least above 60% SoC. If you are then on a flat level or on a slight downward slope on a motorway (say) for elongated stretches of a mile or more that don't require much throttle input to maintain speed, then you may just experience the ICE going to idle (or even going off completely) and the Battery providing the lion's share of the power at speeds of 70-80mph. With a very gentle right foot, it is much easier to do that in the Mk4 but in the Mk3, it was almost impossible above 50 mph.

Note: whilst actually moving and at any speed above about 30 mph, you cannot use the "EV button" to try and force it. The system simply won't let you because "it" thinks it knows best.

• Like 4

Fun fact: It was physically impossible for the earlier hybrids to go above something like 30-50mph on MG2 power alone because MG1 would have needed to counter-spin at like a zillion rpm to allow that to happen while keeping the ICE stationary.

The newer ones have a reduction gear which allows MG1 to spin slower for the same speed, so it can hold the ICE stationary at much higher MG2 speeds.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, Cyker said:

Depends what you mean by EV mode - If you mean the EV button, yeah I've never gotten that to work ever; It always says unavailable for a variety of reasons (Insufficient battery charge, going to fast, wrong phase of the moon etc.). Gave up with it TBH since I can't think of a good use for it anyway. Even if it worked, the battery in the Mk4 Yaris is tiny and I doubt it would be able to do more than half a mile in EV mode so it wouldn't even be useful to drive in a future zero emission zone that I'm sure our idiot leaders will be introducing into cities in the future.

If you mean, the car switching to the electric motor only while driving, mine does it all the time - On the way home yesterday I was doing 70 on the motorway overtaking a truck, just holding it at 70, and after I finished accelerating it switched off the engine and carried on pushing the car at 70 on battery power alone! Very cool, and something the hybrids couldn't do before, which is what put me off them originally.

It's more usual around town tho', often uses the engine when accelerating and falls back to the battery for steady cruising, but all depends on how much charge is in the battery - I find above 50% it tries to use the electric motor more and more, and below 50% it uses the engine more. It reaaalllly tries to keep the battery around 50%.

I've done four miles in mine once in ev mode. Coming home from Alton Towers. 2 miles to get to the main road at slow speed, then another couple of miles down hill.

• Haha 1

for me in total per year:

average time in EV mode: 58%  (summer 65%)

average distance in EV mode: 50% (summer 58%)

average consumption: 1.4848 gallons / mile (summer - 1.3449 gallons / mile, winter - 1.5573 gallons / mile)

100 octane gasoline

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dala said:

for me in total per year:

average time in EV mode: 58%  (summer 65%)

average distance in EV mode: 50% (summer 58%)

average consumption: 1.4848 gallons / mile (summer - 1.3449 gallons / mile, winter - 1.5573 gallons / mile)

100 octane gasoline

Methinks you've got something the wrong way around in your calculations there?!! You seem to be saying that it will travel just 5.333 miles on a WHOLE tankful of fuel?!! Perhaps not?😉

(btw, I don't think that anyone in the UK thinks in gallons anymore for fuel/petrol/gasoline. It is sold to us in Litres over here and all of our tank capacities are quoted in Litres also. For fuel consumption, ironically, we still seem to doggedly stick to miles-per-gallon and that's probably because our road distances are still measured in miles and so "litres-per-100km" is too hard to convert! )

15 minutes ago, CPN said:

(btw, I don't think that anyone in the UK thinks in gallons anymore for fuel/petrol/gasoline. 

you are wrong then 😜

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

you are wrong then 😜

Point taken! 😁 However, I wonder how many people could immediately quote their Yaris tank capacity in UK gallons? (Without working it out first! 😉) ...and of course, when working out how many mpg your last tankful produced, some mental gymnastics would still be needed to convert the litres of petrol you just bought into gallons, yes? 😉

• Like 1

I only know because all my previous cars had 40 litre tanks and that's a nice round number of gallons (i.e. 10!)

Never dealt with imperial at school, it was all metric during my education time!

For some reason I find imperial good for rough measurements ("It's a few inches/feet!"), but for precise measurement metric is so much better (None of that 12 inches to a foot or 8th of an inch nonsense!)

I do wonder what I'm doing differently in my Mk4 to you lot tho - My average time in EV mode is usually 70-80%!! :eek: 

(Ha, probably being stuck in traffic now that i think about it :laugh: )

56 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I only know because all my previous cars had 40 litre tanks and that's a nice round number of gallons (i.e. 10!)

Never dealt with imperial at school, it was all metric during my education time!

For some reason I find imperial good for rough measurements ("It's a few inches/feet!"), but for precise measurement metric is so much better (None of that 12 inches to a foot or 8th of an inch nonsense!)

I do wonder what I'm doing differently in my Mk4 to you lot tho - My average time in EV mode is usually 70-80%!! :eek: 

(Ha, probably being stuck in traffic now that i think about it :laugh: )

Yeah, i get that too, about 78-80 percent EV mode on most of my journeys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Except that it's not 10, it's about 8.8. More like a rugby ball number 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

(pedant's hat on) Err... no, its not! 40 litres = 8.8 gallons (UK) The only place in the world that uses US Gallons is in the US itself! (where 40 litres = 10.57 US gallons) In every other place in the world that uses gallons for fluid volume, they are imperial gallons.

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

Yeah, i get that too, about 78-80 percent EV mode on most of my journeys.

How do you know ?
Is this the sort of information that is displayed as you switch off in the new Yaris ?

9 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

How do you know ?
Is this the sort of information that is displayed as you switch off in the new Yaris ?

It's in amongst all the info you get from the "MyT" app on your smartphone...

Screenshot_20210916-101725.thumb.png.3cf89ad90110120ed96f7a96d7721ef9.png

Many thanks, Colin.

I’m pretty sure my (Sept 2018) spec is too early to have those MyT services active.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links