Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spacesaver

c90

We do a fair amount of travelling and looking to buy a C-HR but no spare wheel is a concern and putting us of buying.

Not all situations can be can be resolved by a puncture repair kit.

My question is, if I buy a spare wheel can it be fixed in the boot.

Had a look at that on eBay but from 2010, been some changes since then to the C-HR.

Has anyone bought and fitted a spare wheel, I was told by sales that they are not supplied.

Its putting me off the C-HR.

Having been in need of a wheel change in the Black Forest were a repair kit would have been useless, that's my concern. 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:07 PM, c90 said:

Had a look at that on ebay but from 2010, been some changes since then to the C-HR.

Has anyone bought and fitted a spare wheel, I was told by sales that they are not supplied.

The C-HR only went into production in 2016... 😉

They won't be supplied as new (it's all to do with emissions & effects of that on taxation etc.) but can be ordered as parts. 

I bought the complete spare wheel kit for our C-HR last year. The only downside (other than the cost) is it raises the boot floor slightly so you do lose some boot space. 

Thanks y247, the loss of boot space is not a problem, could I ask what the cost was last year for the spare wheel kit just as a rough guide.

22 minutes ago, c90 said:

Thanks y247, the loss of boot space is not a problem, could I ask what the cost was last year for the spare wheel kit just as a rough guide.

It was around £290 mail order from Fish Brothers Toyota. That was for the full kit including spacesaver wheel & tyre, jack, wheelbrace, modified boot floor panel and modified trim parts to go around the wheel under the boot floor. If you're not bothered about the 'official' Toyota kit though it should be possible to get a suitable wheel, tyre and jack much cheaper from eBay for example. 

Decent price but, modified boot floor panel, is that some welding involved and is that under the car?

Sorry for all the questions, sounds a big job.

22 minutes ago, c90 said:

Decent price but, modified boot floor panel, is that some welding involved and is that under the car?

Sorry for all the questions, sounds a big job.

No it's purely trim, nothing structural at all. When I say 'boot floor' I'm referring to the carpet-covered flat panel that lays over the top of spare wheel to give a flat floor to the boot. It's simply a case of lifting the existing panel and the various pieces of moulded trim out and laying the new pieces in, together with the wheel. No tools required at all to do it as far as I remember. 

• Like 1

Thanks again y247, it's all a bit clearer now. Looking it up seems the tyre is slightly bigger than the space it fits into, that is no problem as far as I can see.

Appreciate you taking the time to explaining the situation to me, cheers.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Anyone ordered a spare wheel kit for a GR Sport?

Local Toyota dealer says because the GR Sport has 19" wheels the space saver kit isn't suitable. 

I'd prefer a spare wheel in the boot when my C-HR eventually turns up even at the loss of some boot space.

The Corolla spare wheel kit raises that boot floor liner which essentially sits on polystyrene formers that hold the jack etc. 

I have not experimented on removing it. 

6 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Anyone ordered a spare wheel kit for a GR Sport?

Local Toyota dealer says because the GR Sport has 19" wheels the space saver kit isn't suitable. 

I'd prefer a spare wheel in the boot when my C-HR eventually turns up even at the loss of some boot space.

It can be done it just needs a bit of work to I.D. the parts without using your vehicle details in the part catalogue which is contrary to the teachings of a parts person, as Toyotas parts catalogue works on a one car one part basis where when your cars details are input the catalogue only shows the correct part as supplied from factory and excludes any "incorrect" parts. As for boot space the 2.0 has a 12v Battery under the boot floor in the boot, the spare will fit in next to the Battery so no boot space above the boot floor is lost in a 1.8 however there is no 12v Battery so the boot floor is much lower, fitting as spare in a 1.8 involves lifting the boot floor up to match the 2.0, you need:

42611-F4210 18X4 Space saver wheel £86.35

145/70 D18 Space saver tyre £ TBC Make sure you get a D18 Space saver tyre not a R18 conventional tyre

09111-F4011 jack £7.25

09113-F4010 jack handle £1.05

09150-F4010 Wrench £5.18

51931-02040 Wheel retainer £13.35

64778-F4050 Foam insert for floor £5.65

64429-F4010 Foam insert Floor support 1 £22.91

64995-F4070 Foam insert Floor support 2 £11.30

64716-F4050-C0 Trunk trim £7.53

42668-0F030 Speed limit sticker £2.82

Kit above is only for C-HR 2.0 Hybrid with 19" factory wheels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

It can be done it just needs a bit of work to I.D. the parts without using your vehicle details in the part catalogue which is contrary to the teachings of a parts person, as Toyotas parts catalogue works on a one car one part basis where when your cars details are input the catalogue only shows the correct part as supplied from factory and excludes any "incorrect" parts. As for boot space the 2.0 has a 12v battery under the boot floor in the boot, the spare will fit in next to the battery so no boot space above the boot floor is lost in a 1.8 however there is no 12v battery so the boot floor is much lower, fitting as spare in a 1.8 involves lifting the boot floor up to match the 2.0, you need:

42611-F4210 18X4 Space saver wheel £86.35

145/70 D18 Space saver tyre £ TBC Make sure you get a D18 Space saver tyre not a R18 conventional tyre

09111-F4011 Jack £7.25

09113-F4010 Jack handle £1.05

09150-F4010 Wrench £5.18

51931-02040 Wheel retainer £13.35

64778-F4050 Foam insert for floor £5.65

64429-F4010 Foam insert Floor support 1 £22.91

64995-F4070 Foam insert Floor support 2 £11.30

64716-F4050-C0 Trunk trim £7.53

42668-0F030 Speed limit sticker £2.82

Kit above is only for C-HR 2.0 Hybrid with 19" factory wheels

Thanks for those part numbers, much appreciated.

Is there any difference if the 2 litre Hybrid C-HR in question has the JBL sound system option fitted?

Devon, shades of the SAAB 99.  I had the Triumph 1,854 engine.  Parts were shipped to Sweden then shipped back to UK.  They cost more than the Triumph part. 

I was told to go to a Triumph garage, park out of sight, and ask for the Triumph part.  

I guess that applies to many makes today. 

11 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Thanks for those part numbers, much appreciated.

Is there any difference if the 2 litre Hybrid C-HR in question has the JBL sound system option fitted?

No issues with JBL

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Devon Aygo said:

No issues with JBL

Excellent, thanks for that helpful information - Ill have to order those parts up nearer the time once my C-HR is on its way to the UK. 

A suitable tyre wont be a problem either as I know someone who can supply / fit that to the rim.

Once again thank you for that help. 

I purchased all the trim bits from Toyota ( £120 ), then bought the wheel off Shpock for £35.

• Like 1

Had a wheel, tyre, jack and wheelbase bought from eBay delivered today. Paid £75.

Can't see that I need the foam inserts or any trim - everything seems to be OK in the boot department.

As long as wheel is secure and floor carpet is supported - otherwise, it will not support weight.

Good point. Wheel seems secure enough under its own weight, but the floor is slightly wobbly. Time to fashion a few wooden blocks.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update - been doing some online enquires with a couple of Toyota part's suppliers, I told them I wanted to retrofit an 18" space saver in to a UK spec 22 MY C-HR GR Sport 2 litre hybrid with JBL option fitted

Both insisted on the VIN before they would even provide an answer - both also replied NO not possible as the vehicle has JBL option pack fitted.

Looks like Ill be ordering the parts via the above part numbers at my local Toyota dealer nearer the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Bit of an update - been doing some online enquires with a couple of Toyota part's suppliers, I told them I wanted to retrofit an 18" space saver in to a UK spec 22 MY C-HR GR Sport 2 litre hybrid with JBL option fitted

Both insisted on the VIN before they would even provide an answer - both also replied NO not possible as the vehicle has JBL option pack fitted.

Looks like Ill be ordering the parts via the above part numbers at my local Toyota dealer nearer the time. 

Gonna keep an eye on this post !!!

On 1/23/2022 at 9:53 AM, O.W.L. said:

Good point. Wheel seems secure enough under its own weight,

And therein lies the problem. Sitting in your boot the wheel is subject to one G.  In the event of a crash the wheel will be subject to very high G forces and in several possible directions. 

Luggage in the boot will be similarly affected and should always be secured with a cargo net though few people do so. 

• Like 1