Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What features would you like to see?

Bozz

2 hours ago, AJones said:

Depends on battery location and whether the larger battery is added to an existing design as something of an after-thought, or whether it is designed in from the start and located in a less obtrusive area, like under the rear seats or under the floor.

Presumably Toyota thought long and hard about where they put the Battery for the Prius and concluded that 'in the boot' was the only possibility. PHEVs need large batteries and I doubt there's anywhere else on a typical ICE they can be put.

• Like 3

It would be nice wireless phone charger, 2 usb-c ports for the rear seats, remote car start with climate control 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Presumably Toyota thought long and hard about where they put the battery for the Prius and concluded that 'in the boot' was the only possibility. PHEVs need large batteries and I doubt there's anywhere else on a typical ICE they can be put.

If you look at other PHEVs, for example the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV or the Kia Optima PHEV these still have a spacious boot even with the bigger PHEV Battery, so other manufacturers have solved the problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AJones said:

If you look at other PHEVs, for example the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV or the Kia Optima PHEV these still have a spacious boot even with the bigger PHEV battery, so other manufacturers have solved the problem.

Does the Ionic and Optima have a spare wheel or picture gunge?        
The spare wheel in my Prius takes up some room, Shea’s if it had ginge there could be a larger boot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

The spare wheel in my Prius takes up some room, Shea’s if it had ginge there could be a larger boot.

Ioniq ev or phev hasn’t got spare tyre, the Battery is in the boot and under the rear seat, similar layout to Prius. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catlover said:

The Prius PHEV doesn't have a spare wheel, it uses the space (and some more) for the Battery, same with the Ioniq PHEV and Optima PHEV. But going back to AndrueC's original comment, the point is that with good design it is possible to have PHEVs with a reasonable sized boot, with other models achieving 50% more boot space.

Ioniq PHEV boot = 341 litres

Optima PHEV boot = 307 litres

Prius PHEV boot = 191 litres

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, Nick Strange said:

I now have a Corolla TS GR

Heated front screen.

Matrix Headlights

European cars have this in higher spec models. Look at toyota.de

• Like 3

Auto locking door 

Offside mirror auto dip on reverse

Show tyre pressure for each wheel

LED rear number plate bulbs

Brighter LED headlights with washers

Ability to display both odometer and current trip at same time

Larger screen 

Larger batteries 

Wireless Charging (although I believe this could be an option on newer Corollas)

• Like 4

Quite a novel feature .. the new vehicle arriving at the dealers when it's supposed to.🤬

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, 50p said:

Quite a novel feature .. the new vehicle arriving at the dealers when it's supposed to.🤬

And in a much shorter time span 👏👏

• Like 3

On 1/8/2023 at 8:00 PM, JayCee88 said:

Auto locking door 

Offside mirror auto dip on reverse

Show tyre pressure for each wheel

LED rear number plate bulbs

Brighter LED headlights with washers

Ability to display both odometer and current trip at same time

Larger screen 

Larger batteries 

Wireless Charging (although I believe this could be an option on newer Corollas)

Regarding showing tyre pressure, apparently there is a plug and play mod that will display pressure in the central gauge (only in kPa) for individual wheels. 
My mate got one for his RAV4. It plugs into the TPMS unit in the rear offside panel. 
Might order it and see. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 10:49 PM, FiestaRed said:

Being new to Toyota, for me it would be something very simple, cheap and pretty easy to do.

My only 'niggle' so far with my Corolla is that the seat belt buckles do not stop where you put them when you've taken them off. When I come to put them on again, I always seem to have feel around at ground level looking for the buckle as they slide down the belt so easily. The buckles could also do with some soft touch material around them to stop the passengers side buckle from rattling against the door pillar when there's only me in the car.

I have this issue too - i have to keep reaching over once a passenger has got out to straighten the belt!

• Like 1

The Corolla is pretty decent TBH... but a few extras like most already mentioned i agree with - especially:-

1. Blind Spot Monitoring

2. Heated front screen (this should be on all car models and trims for safety reasons)
[on this - why has nobody even done a rear window heat wires thin like the modern front screens - they always use the thick plating?]  Yes I know it is all about cost... but...

3. Auto-lock on doors at 5mph

4. 2 x Reverse lamps and 2 x rear fog lamps instead of one each (come on... we are in the modern age and this should not be an issue now)

5. Front fog lamps to come on independently when turning in that direction

6. Auto rear wiper on when front wipers on when reversing

7. tyre monitoring to actually show each tyre pressure (it is on the Yaris so why not the Corolla???)

8. Auto-dip on passenger mirror when reversing

9. Gearbox sport mode for manual changing (GR Sport and up as standard)
[it ought to be GR then GR Sport for the turbo version as I feel the nomenclature of GR Sport and GR are the wrong way round]

10. better capacity batteries for hybrids - they can do it they just can't be bothered (even Scotty in Star Trek claimed he needed 2 hours to fix something and then did it in 1 hour)

11. for Corolla only - a little bit more leg space in the rear on the hatch (it would not make the overall length that much longer)

Some other things (like auto-window open and shut when depressing key fob on opening and closing) are software-based and it would not take the Earth or huge cost for Toyota to do an update for these.  Even point 6 is already on the car but hidden and you have to get a dealer to enable it - unless you have a coder you can plug in with your Laptop.

Also i understand the 12v Battery going into the boot on the 2ltr Hybrid... but again we are in modern times and Toyota really should have the space issue down pat know.  Peugeot. always for years. built engines that never fitted their engine bays unless it was fitted on an angle (I used to service cars in the 90s so i know)... and they've managed to fit all on a better way.  Even Honda managed to fit the Type R 2ltr engine into a very small engine bay - albeit no room to move 😆

Toyota would be doing themselves a huge favour in their popularity stakes if they did fit most safety things as standard and most of these everyday essential options.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Swanthecat said:

Heated windscreen. Ridiculous to have to wait close to 10 minutes with fan on full before driving in cold weather

Apparently put both sun visors down fully... turn up full warm and on full demist setting on full blower whilst engine on and it does actually clear within 4 to 5 minutes.  This might be depending on model - but mine seems to work as it is quick to warm up.

But yes a heated windscreen in modern times ought to be a standard feature.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:22 PM, Devon Aygo said:

All Corolla have follow me home headlamps, just pull the headlamp stalk towards you after switching off the ignition.

Is that right?

Must check this as soon as possible if i remember.

But really this should be an automatic thing once you get out and lock the doors instead of a manual actuation thing?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

Peugeot. always for years. built engines that never fitted their engine bays unless it was fitted on an angle (I used to service cars in the 90s so i know)

Peugeot used to do that to get as much weight behind the front axle line to help with handling. 

Also tilting the top of the engine towards the bulkhead helped lower the centre of gravity which again helps with handling. 

Look at a late 1980s built 405 with a large engine bay, the XU9 was still tilted backwards towards the bulkhead. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Peugeot used to do that to get as much weight behind the front axle line to help with handling. 

Also tilting the top of the engine towards the bulkhead helped lower the centre of gravity which again helps with handling. 

Look at a late 1980s built 405 with a large engine bay, the XU9 was still tilted backwards towards the bulkhead. 

The handling wasn't all that TBH 😁

But it wasn't really about handling as all their engines were tall so would never have fitted anyhow if upright.

• Like 1

The engines are tilted because they are tall.  Tilting keeps the bonnet line low.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stivino said:

The engines are tilted because they are tall.  Tilting keeps the bonnet line low.

Indeed, this is partly done for pedestrian crash safety.

Let me clarify: Most serious pedestrian head injuries come from hitting engine components under the bonnet. Therefore, manufacturers increase the distance between the bonnet and the engine by tilting it. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, APS said:

Let me clarify: Most serious pedestrian head injuries come from hitting engine components under the bonnet. Therefore, manufacturers increase the distance between the bonnet and the engine by tilting it. 

The Citroen C6 had an active bonnet, in the event of a front accident the bonnet popped up to move it away from the engine. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:37 PM, APS said:

That's my point - Peugeot engines were all tall compared to other makes.  Peugeot engines never fitted correctly like others did.  Just a design flaw IMHO.
That is why i was making a point regarding the 1.8ltr and 2ltr hybrid engines (2ltr Battery in boot which takes up boot space) - surely Toyota can do better and just make the engine bay slightly bigger to accommodate and not take up boot space.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:20 AM, Bernard Foy said:

Are they legal??

I changed mine to a pair of hella's and it sound better and louder

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 1:49 PM, Tech429 said:

The Corolla is pretty decent TBH... but a few extras like most already mentioned i agree with - especially:-

1. Blind Spot Monitoring

2. Heated front screen (this should be on all car models and trims for safety reasons)
[on this - why has nobody even done a rear window heat wires thin like the modern front screens - they always use the thick plating?]  Yes I know it is all about cost... but...

3. Auto-lock on doors at 5mph

4. 2 x Reverse lamps and 2 x rear fog lamps instead of one each (come on... we are in the modern age and this should not be an issue now)

5. Front fog lamps to come on independently when turning in that direction

6. Auto rear wiper on when front wipers on when reversing

7. tyre monitoring to actually show each tyre pressure (it is on the Yaris so why not the Corolla???)

8. Auto-dip on passenger mirror when reversing

9. Gearbox sport mode for manual changing (GR Sport and up as standard)
[it ought to be GR then GR Sport for the turbo version as I feel the nomenclature of GR Sport and GR are the wrong way round]

10. better capacity batteries for hybrids - they can do it they just can't be bothered (even Scotty in Star Trek claimed he needed 2 hours to fix something and then did it in 1 hour)

11. for Corolla only - a little bit more leg space in the rear on the hatch (it would not make the overall length that much longer)

Some other things (like auto-window open and shut when depressing key fob on opening and closing) are software-based and it would not take the Earth or huge cost for Toyota to do an update for these.  Even point 6 is already on the car but hidden and you have to get a dealer to enable it - unless you have a coder you can plug in with your Laptop.

Also i understand the 12v battery going into the boot on the 2ltr Hybrid... but again we are in modern times and Toyota really should have the space issue down pat know.  Peugeot. always for years. built engines that never fitted their engine bays unless it was fitted on an angle (I used to service cars in the 90s so i know)... and they've managed to fit all on a better way.  Even Honda managed to fit the Type R 2ltr engine into a very small engine bay - albeit no room to move 😆

Toyota would be doing themselves a huge favour in their popularity stakes if they did fit most safety things as standard and most of these everyday essential options.

I've gone through  the obd port and accessed any window that is open to close when locking vehicle with fob and to open all windows with fob.

Also done the auto rear wiper when fronts is on when reverse is engaged. My partner had a 2004 corsa auto and that had auto rear wiper back then. I don't know why they can't enable stuff like this from new.

I looked into a new gr in the show room and it now has manual + and - gear shift. Looks like they might of changed the gb to auto's

Edited by tfc

Of all the suggestions I think a better 12volt Battery would be the most appreciated and most useful.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links