Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle from moon roof when tilted

Oldgustav

We have 2019 RAV4 Excel with 'moon roof' (Toyota's name for it, not ours). When it's tilted it rattles when travelling over rough ground or bumpy road. The car has just had it's second service and we'd ask the dealership to have a look at the roof noise. They've come back with 'it's for ventilation when stationery - not meant to be driven when roof is tilted'.

They're having us on surely???

• Confused 1

Load of cobblers.  Suggest you contact Toyota Customer Services.

• Like 2

Someone else on this forum complained of a rattling pan roof on tilt was on a corolla I think can’t remember what the cure was though.

1 hour ago, Oldgustav said:

We have 2019 RAV4 Excel with 'moon roof' (Toyota's name for it, not ours). When it's tilted it rattles when travelling over rough ground or bumpy road. The car has just had it's second service and we'd ask the dealership to have a look at the roof noise. They've come back with 'it's for ventilation when stationery - not meant to be driven when roof is tilted'.

I’ve had this feature on a number of previous cars and never had a problem as you’ve reported. The dealers reaction is pure BS to me.

48 minutes ago, IanML said:

Is it actually possible to do this?

14 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I’ve had this feature on a number of previous cars and never had a problem as you’ve reported. The dealers reaction is pure BS to me.

What I thought. Shame though, the dealership has always been really good. Previous car was Avensis Tourer (brilliant car - and in some ways superior to the RAV).

14 minutes ago, Oldgustav said:

What I thought. Shame though, the dealership has always been really good. Previous car was Avensis Tourer (brilliant car - and in some ways superior to the RAV).

It’s a crying shame when the hard work over the years of that’s gone into providing a good service to you as a customer is undone in a moment of craziness.

Hi

Got the same problem but told the dealer that I will wait till it goes in for service to let them look at it.They had better not tell me the tilt is for ventilation when parked only or they will get all four barrels.

Terry

• Like 1

Well when my pan roof is in ‘ventilation mode’ on my Corolla it does not rattle lol

6 hours ago, IanML said:

5 hours ago, Oldgustav said:

Is it actually possible to do this?

You can do so via the Toyota website.

7 hours ago, Oldgustav said:

Really annoys me when dealers don't use the information available to them:

BO-00447T-TME

Subject: PANORAMIC ROOF NOISE coming from side rail when opening (link X guide)

Area of Application: All Markets

Models – Model Codes: RAV4 - AXAA52, AXAA54, AXAH52, AXAH54, AXAL52, AXAL54, MXAA52, MXAA54

Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report when the vehicle is driven with the panoramic roof partially opened or tilt a “clack” noise can be heard.

Production change: The following has been changed:
  • Remove clearance during side rail component.

Repair procedure: Replace [RAIL SUB-ASSY, SLIDE ROOF] according to the repair manual.

Fix was implemented from 17/08/2020 production.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Had this repair done once to my 2021 dynamic, but now the noise has returned. 

Hi

Had this repair carried out on my 2020 excel end of last year including the replacement side rail. The dealer was excellent in wanting to get this right first time for me. Not had a problem since.

As above the information is all there for the dealer if they take the trouble to look.

regards Terry

Following Devon Argo’s advice previously I reported the fault to my dealer who test drove the car and found the “click” when the roof was on tilt. New parts ordered and fitted and so far (touch wood) a nice quiet RAV4 when the roof is on tilt.

Many thanks to Devon Aygo for his advice and my apologies for not thanking him earlier.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, Devon Aygo said:

BO-00447T-TME

Models – Model Codes: RAV4 - AXAA52, AXAA54, AXAH52, AXAH54, AXAL52, AXAL54, MXAA52, MXAA54

Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report when the vehicle is driven with the panoramic roof partially opened or tilt a “clack” noise can be heard.

Repair procedure: Replace [RAIL SUB-ASSY, SLIDE ROOF] according to the repair manual.

What a nice piece of information to take back to the dealership, which puts the ball firmly back in their court.  Looks as though the person that came up with the BS answer should have a bit more training on searching for known faults. 

Does however show one of the advantages of being a member of the Toyota Owners Club and there are many more.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, Devon Aygo said:

BO-00447T-TME

Hi there.  I have a 2022 Corolla Hatch with moon roof.  It creaks like hell when open, and bangs and knocks when open plus creaking as well.  Is there such a dealer fix also for the Corolla?

• 1 month later...

Car is now back in the dealers for its third attempt with guidance from Toyota technical team, let’s see what happens ?? 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, Oldgustav said:

I’d ask to see where this is actually stated.

• 4 months later...

Just had my 2020 Rav 4 Excel in for its 20k service. Once again I've raised the issue about the sunroof rattling when I put it on tilt. Last year I supposedly had the sun roof replaced? This year the engineer ' tightened ' a few things. Current position. It keeps rattling. We really like this car but this issue and the lack of ability of Toyota and their representatives to sort this out has put us right off buying a Toyota vehicle again. I get lots of people have no issues, but for those that do, this is really annoying. We specifically chose this car as we wanted light in the car. Appreciate someone posting a possible fix. I'll take this back into the dealership. Surely they would have had this though????

10 minutes ago, David Rattle said:

Just had my 2020 Rav 4 Excel in for its 20k service. Once again I've raised the issue about the sunroof rattling when I put it on tilt. Last year I supposedly had the sun roof replaced? This year the engineer ' tightened ' a few things. Current position. It keeps rattling. We really like this car but this issue and the lack of ability of Toyota and their representatives to sort this out has put us right off buying a Toyota vehicle again. I get lots of people have no issues, but for those that do, this is really annoying. We specifically chose this car as we wanted light in the car. Appreciate someone posting a possible fix. I'll take this back into the dealership. Surely they would have had this though????

Funnily enough I have the exact same problem BUT I’ve found that with the sunroof on tilt, if I touch the rear edge of it, there is something a bit loose. Holding this edge makes the rattle disappear. Visit to the dealer is on the cards.

43 minutes ago, David Rattle said:

Take it back to the dealer, ask to go out with a technician and demonstrate the rattle, then have them deal with it. Take it back out with the technician again when completed to ensure it is fixed 

• Like 1