Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris models with DAB/which antenna?

Electronic Battle

Hello All

I have just bought my first Yaris - the 2014 model but a 59 plate. it's the "Icon" model and I aim to find and fit a secondhand Yaris DAB head unit in place of the existing one (which on the Icon is AM/FM only, no satnav).  I have quite a few questions and as I learn, I might think of a few more too!

1- my car's VIN decodes to show that the vehicle is a KSP130R-CGMGKW frame number. Searching on a couple of websites (not actually Toyota because that frame no. doesn't seem to show up) *might* be suggesting that the standard vehicle antenna is suited to FM and DAB and is an active antenna with a low noise amplifier integrated into it and two flying leads.  It looks like it might be fitted to all models and hence, if I find a DAB head unit, the antenna should simply plug in and present DAB signal multiplexes on one SMB terminated cable, as well as FM and AM on the ordinary FM (Belling Lee?) connector.  Does anyone know if this assumption is correct?  The fiche system isn't easy for a beginner like me to interpret. 

2- I have failed to find or generate a definitive list of models which come with the DAB variant of head unit. The form factor in my  Icon is the Touch2 Gen1 as per this post

but can anyone point me to a list of which model variants/which years are fitted with DAB ?

3- If it has DAB, does it mean it also has satnav? I don't need the latter. 

4- I don't want to fit an aftermarket DAB unit, rather get a Touch2 and get it "coded" to work in my car ... is this something that is easy to do - what's the general process? Do I ask Toyota to do it ?

5- There are a range of Touch2 head unit numbers (of the form "86140-0D280")and there seems to be a range of additional numbers (e.g. "type: FT0053B") from which to determine whether a particular one is DAB or not ... can anyone show me how to work out which radio is which please?  Please see the attached eBay shot for an example.

6- Finally, which "marque"  of Yaris is mine? I see references to gen1,  MkII or Mk3 etc. 

Any "DAB" fitting advice will be gratefully received - thanks!

EB

s-l1600.jpg

There are lots of versions with and without dab, NAV (GO) is its own module (see the pic below), the only number to worry  about is 86140- eg. 86140-0D280 what is the toyota part number

DAB models have a black socket next to the fm aerial the connectors are made by Sumitomo for Toyota and other JAP brands Aerial connectors are based on the SMB style connectors

What can be seen in the thread above or here...................... (click to enlarge)

_MG_1446.JPG.18c6128b69356a23b49af772ad8

If its a base car and doesn't have DAB you need a DAB aerial either by changing the base and wiring or fitting an aftermarket DAB aerial - the DAB plug is a Toyota specific plug, but you can use a standard DAB aerial With an SMB connector but it will not lock in place

KSP130R-CGMGKW is the Model code, only early Jap cars use a frame number the rest of the world uses a VIN

See my sig below my post

The touch 2 doesn't need any type of "coding" it's plug and play, its worth checking the firmware version and updating the firmware for improved compatibility and bug fixes please pm me or post in the touch2 firmware thread

Parts are listed on a system called an EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) the last fiche catalogues got phased out in the mid to late 90's

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, flash22 said:

the only number to worry  about is 86140- eg. 86140-0D280 

If its a base car and doesn't have DAB you need a DAB aerial either by changing the base and wiring or fitting an aftermarket DAB aerial

KSP130R-CGMGKW is the Model code, only early Jap cars use a frame number the rest of the world uses a VIN

The touch 2 doesn't need any type of "coding" it's plug and play

Parts are listed on a system called an EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) the last fiche catalogues got phased out in the mid to late 90's

This all makes sense now, especially when I read it in conjunction with your original post which I cited.   Thanks for helping with the additional information too - I shall look out for some online EPCs now that I understand VINs/frames and a bit of history. Nice!  I'll look into the right head units and I will think about what to do regarding the antenna. Not so keen on an aftermarket one whereas the original one on the roof - good performance especially with an integrated LNA - is the best technical solution but a pain to fit what with headlinings to be removed, looming etc.

Thanks for your help - good stuff!

1 hour ago, Electronic Battle said:

Finally, which "marque"  of Yaris is mine? I see references to gen1,  MkII or Mk3 etc.

A 2014 Yaris is third generation or mk3 (2011-2020).

• Like 1

Perfect! That adds the context so I can understand some of the variants (to do with wiring looms etc. and general comments about the Yaris).  It's my first Toyota (although my wife was driving a Yaris when I first met her twenty+ years ago  so not entirely unfamiliar).  Thanks for the information. 

cable routing is across the dash and up the drivers side A pillar across the roof to the active base - you may get away with replacing the dash part and the base - i can pull the part numbers

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/yaris-echo-vios-limo-42478/ksp130-56729/ksp130r-cgmgkw-927927/antenna-17947300

I can dig up some other diagrams if required

Ahh yes - I see the idea now.  The length in-between the dash and the rear roof section might (ought?)  just  be a length of coaxial cable with appropriate mating connectors.  I see similar diagrams at http://europe.toylexparts.com/yaris/116540/nlp130l-cgfgxw/595w/005/4/8604 

Most of the "genuine Yaris" antennas I have seen on eBay show a "double" Fakra-type plastic housing populated with a pair of SMBs, presumably because the antenna is dual-band VHF for FM  and MF/LF for AM broadcast). I imagine the correct  antenna (with DAB added) is supplied with an additional connector to mate with the socket as per your diagram.   Here's something which I think is non-DAB even though it says DAB in the advert:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165051607249?

you can see the double Fakra (Sumitomo etc.) SMB pair but no separate feed for the 225 MHz DAB signal.

I shall look through the diagrams and select some part numbers and then, please may I post them here for you to double-check for me to make sure I get them right?

i will get some numbers for you shortly as i have access to the full epc

edit. that model code you posted above is incorrect, that is a 1.0 3 door

Base

Without dab

86300-0D220 (for comparison only)

With DAB

863CO-0D010

Cord, sub Assy main cable

without dab

86101-0D400 (for comparison only)

With DAB

86101-0D390

Cord Sub Assy (radio end)

Without DAB

86101-0D420 (for comparison only)

With DAB

86101-0D660

ps. with Toyota part numbers you can usually find the part by removing the hyphen, eg.  86101-0D660 becomes 861010D660

you could just change the base and run a coax with SMB connectors to the radio eg. CT27AA128 (3M) or CT27AA129 (5M) about £12

xp130 ant.pdf

• Like 1

This is an immensely useful post - thank you *very* much for taking the time to find the part nos.

I shall have to spend a little while digesting the information and finding out how to remove the headlining. The "electronics" side of things is not going to present a problem for me, more the idea of disassembling a new (to me) without ruining the trim.

This ought to be quite good fun!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links