Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Oil filter wrench ?

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Hi Folks,

I’m a bit confused. I have a 59 plate Rav 4 XTR 2L Valvematic ( Petrol ) and it has a cartridge type filter. I want to do the oil change myself like I did on my older Mk2 and apparently it’s best to have the proper filter cap wrench so the cap, which is apparently plastic (?),  doesn’t get damaged.

The trouble is, looking on Amazon and eBay there seem to be different sizes with different numbers of flutes ? 
Does anyone know which one I’d want for mine please 🤔

cheers,

Norm

Anyone ?

Hi Norm,

I’ve not done mine, but I have a universal one which has three legs which tighten up when used to grip, may damage it though but more than welcome to borrow, if not why don’t you call Ian at Roy’s motor company in Norwich and just ask him the question he may be able to tell you the correct size normally really helpful .

all best

phil.

52 minutes ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

Hi Norm,

I’ve not done mine, but I have a universal one which has three legs which tighten up when used to grip, may damage it though but more than welcome to borrow, if not why don’t you call Ian at Roy’s motor company in Norwich and just ask him the question he may be able to tell you the correct size normally really helpful .

all best

phil.

Hi Phil, thanks for the offer, I’ve actually got one of those three leg ones which work well on the canister type filter but from various YouTube videos I’ve watched don’t recommend using them on the cartridge type as the screw in holder is apparently partly plastic !

I’ll give Ian a call. Having looked at loads of info I think the tool is the 65mm diameter one with 14 ‘flutes’ but just want to make sure before I rush onto Amazon or eBay 😂

It’s a shame Toyota changed the position and design of the oil filter on the Mk3 as it was a real doddle to change the canister one on my Mk2. I believe on late Rav’s they’ve gone back to the canister type ?

how are you getting on with your Mk3 ?

Norm🙂

Mk3 great mate, only gripe is the lack of spare wheel but I bought a space saver which lays in the back, don’t use mine much , just done 40k now , full leather , auto . Use my Hilux double cab 3.0 auto for every day use which is superb too . Ian knows me well at Roy’s like I say very helpful .

Nice to hear from you again mate.

All best.

That’s good 🙂

I got mine in May this year with 64,040 on the clock and it’s now at 65,800 ! I’m really loving it, I thought my Mk2 was really nice but this is way ahead of it. Auto, full leather, heated front seats, reversing camera and sensors, cruise control and flappy paddles as well 😱

With 3 different ways to drive it, ( full auto, up and down shift on the stick or flappy paddles ) plus sport mode it’s got all the bases covered !

I put the refurbished spoked 18” wheels on it off the Mk2 which I’d had chrome powder coated at aero coat last year and re-shod them with 235/55 x 18 Toyo Proxes Sports.  It drives really nicely on those and those tyres are really quiet, quieter even than the Falken ZX eco runs I had on before.

AAD0A329-6F10-4AC5-BA7D-BB8C002522C6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 2:36 PM, Grumpy stumpy said:

Mk3 great mate, only gripe is the lack of spare wheel but I bought a space saver which lays in the back, don’t use mine much , just done 40k now , full leather , auto . Use my Hilux double cab 3.0 auto for every day use which is superb too . Ian knows me well at Roy’s like I say very helpful .

Nice to hear from you again mate.

All best.

Hi Phil, finally got round to phoning Ian at Roy’s last week. Nice helpful chap, he gave me the product code for the correct cap from a local company ( MPD in Beccles ) but they didn’t list it anymore but had a substitute Sealey one listed. I called in at EU Carparts in Lowestoft as they’re close to me and they got one in next day for £15 all in ( £3 cheaper than MPD 😉).

So all sorted, just need to get round to changing the oil now. If you need to borrow it to do yours just let me know 🙂

Norm

That’s good glad you got sorted. And thanks for offer. 

Hi Norman, one video I saw on You Tube showed a little trick that ensure the filter tool you now have fits nice and snug. He used an ordinary paper tissue, wrapped it over the end of the plastic canister and the filter tool fitted nice and snug. Might be helpful.

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Norman, one video I saw on You Tube showed a little trick that ensure the filter tool you now have fits nice and snug. He used an ordinary paper tissue, wrapped it over the end of the plastic canister and the filter tool fitted nice and snug. Might be helpful.

Thanks for that tip, I shall store that away for my first oil change 👍