Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roof Bar connection

ernieb

So I’m trying to fit a new set of roof bars to the 2021 RAV4 PHEV which has the integrated rails and 4 snap out covers. The fitting I’ve got has a weather boot but it does not completely cover the opening. The suppling company has responded to my enquiry that this is normal on some fittings? I’m a born worrier and I’m concerned that the rain and muck will getting into the opening. That said when I took the cover off it was not water tight, no seal, and there was obvious signs that yesterday’s rain had got into the inner section of the rail.

Question, is this normal, is water allowed to enter the rail, it certainly seems to be?

I had another look at the rail and found there is not much of a seal around the roof anyway. So in for penny..etc., I used a stick to aim a small amount of water into the space in the rail, dribbling the water down the stick (no comments please). I could see nothing at the end of the roof but could hear a drip, drip and there was the water dripping from under the black boot trim by the exhaust pipe. So obviously it does have a drain which having seen the residue inside the rail foot fixing area guessed must exist.

Are they Toyota bars Ernie or 3rd party ?

3rd party, I don’t use them that often only for long pieces of timber. I was going to get some Thule bars but they are a hefty price. I wanted aero bars but that extended over the edge of the roof rails so I can more easily secure the load.

I had Toyota roof bars on my Avensis Tourer and the rubber boot seemed to cover the mounting points quite well, I haven’t checked yet but are they a similar fixing to the Avensis ( remove cover and single bolt into the roof rail)

I had the aero bars on my Jaguar XE, much preferred them for the reason you stated.

If you aren’t going to have them on long term it shouldn’t really be an issue.

Yes, single bolt and a stepped bracket to get over the fixing bolt. If I get really hung up about it I can easily cover the exposed section with some heavy duty black gaffer tape, short term use only. I’d be more concerned with rubbish getting in than water, now I’ve worked out the channel is drained, as I’d not want to block the drainage tube.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:21 PM, ernieb said:

So I’m trying to fit a new set of roof bars to the 2021 RAV4 PHEV which has the integrated rails and 4 snap out covers. The fitting I’ve got has a weather boot but it does not completely cover the opening. The suppling company has responded to my enquiry that this is normal on some fittings? I’m a born worrier and I’m concerned that the rain and muck will getting into the opening. That said when I took the cover off it was not water tight, no seal, and there was obvious signs that yesterday’s rain had got into the inner section of the rail.

Question, is this normal, is water allowed to enter the rail, it certainly seems to be?

Hi I've noticed that on my Cruz areo bars, that the boots don't cover the hole completely. Doesn't seem to cause any issues, so i've just lived with it. In fact having left the roofbars on for over a 1000 miles didn't see any difference in MPG or noise with them on compared to off. So not worried about it.

As you i've just taken it that as there is no seals and weather can get in, it must be by design, so not worried about it.

@BigR1ch, thanks for that reassurance, same bars as I’ve purchased. Frankly there was not a lot of choice even the expensive Thule bars were silver and they did not match the roof on my car so wanted black. For the money the bars themselves look really solid as do the fixing feet. I still might try to effect a better seal, might even try to 3D print something.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, ernieb said:

@BigR1ch, thanks for that reassurance, same bars as I’ve purchased. Frankly there was not a lot of choice even the expensive Thule bars were silver and they did not match the roof on my car so wanted black. For the money the bars themselves look really solid as do the fixing feet. I still might try to effect a better seal, might even try to 3D print something.

I can certainly say that they are solid bars and do not move. I can live with the gap as they are only on the car for a few weeks of the year.  But agree i wanted black and aero, and Cruz have fitted the bill well.

• Like 1