Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Beep

Andy Kay

Yesterday I had cause to use my horn for the first time in years and it made no noise. I'm gessing it must have been working for its MOT in July. Does anybody have any suggestions where I should start looking for the fault? Ta.

The harder you hit it the less it is likely to work, give it a push in all locations - then check the horn fuse

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The harder you hit it the less it is likely to work, give it a push in all locations - then check the horn fuse

Pushed on all edges (engine running) no beep. I had thought to check the fuses but I can't find anything resembling a fusebox in the engine compartment or in and around the centre console.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Found the box, found the 10A fuse, it meters out okay. So I removed the horn and put it across a car Battery and it sounds clearly. I guess the next suspect is the contact set behind the centre-push on the steering wheel. Do you know if the cover just pops off?

I would check the horn relay, control and power are fed by that 10 amp fuse the horn switch is a ground side switch

you can do a simple test by bypassing the relay if that is ok the likely culprit is the clockspring aka spiral cable the horn is the first thing to fail as it's on the outer edge of the ribbon cable you may find the horn works if you turn the wheel left or right while holding the horn button

• Like 1

The simplest thing to check was whether I could use the horn on full lock, and still no horn. Without a wiring diagram I'd be working blind, so probably better to use an auto electrician than to spend days getting up to speed on a problem I probably won't encounter ever again. Thanks again Bob.

On 9/9/2021 at 6:20 PM, Andy Kay said:

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Found the box, found the 10A fuse, it meters out okay. So I removed the horn and put it across a car Battery and it sounds clearly. I guess the next suspect is the contact set behind the centre-push on the steering wheel. Do you know if the cover just pops off?

HI Andy,you say you removed the horn,there are two in the iq3 ,one is in the left engine compartement which is  the key warning sounder and the main horn is behind the front bumper on the right side,The easiest way to check the main horn is to poke a test probe into the horn cable from the front to see if there is voltage.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,there are two horns on the iq3 one is a warning sounder on the left side in the engine compartement and the main horn is behind the front bumper on the right hand side,the best way to check if you have power to the main horn is to poke a test probe into the horn connector whilst an assistant pushes the horn button.

Ive recently fitted 2 fiamm snail horns in the front of my engine bay by t-tapping from the main horn wire to a new relay circuit,without the need to remove the front bumper(I now have 3 horns a massive difference from the origional peep!!!!!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jikky said:

Hi Andy,there are two horns on the iq3 one is a warning sounder on the left side in the engine compartement and the main horn is behind the front bumper on the right hand side,the best way to check if you have power to the main horn is to poke a test probe into the horn connector whilst an assistant pushes the horn button.

Ive recently fitted 2 fiamm snail horns in the front of my engine bay by t-tapping from the main horn wire to a new relay circuit,without the need to remove the front bumper(I now have 3 horns a massive difference from the origional peep!!!!!)

Thanks Jikky this is informative... I tested the warning sounder then. I'll take a look at the real horn tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be a broken wire or a corroded connector.