Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Outside door /window trim losing colour

pezz

Hi ,has anyone else got trouble with the door/windows trims faded from mat black to gray 2020 Corolla 

Yup. Mine is the same. Polishing the car seems to make it worse. There must be some magic stuff to bring back the black.

• Like 1

Have you tried one of the various black trim restoring sprays - eg Simoniz Back to Black, Mothers Back to Black, etc.

Cheers mate ,have tried back to black and g3 cutting compound .

My supplying dealer reported it to Toyota and got rejected as a warranty claim but have offered to replace them .

They say they've not seen this before but the loan car I had at service seem to be on the start of the same problem. 

When I purchased mine I had them coat it in gen 3 ceramic coating, I do wander if it was something to do with the pre cleaning process before application. 

56 minutes ago, RabButler said:

Yup. Mine is the same. Polishing the car seems to make it worse. There must be some magic stuff to bring back the black.

Hi ,have you tried taking it back? .

I,d be interested to hear what your agent says.

Sounds like the dealer 'never seen / heard of that before' senario as there are 2 cases of it happening mentioned in this post.

All very well trying to find a remedy, surely finding what the cause is more key to the issue. Obviously should not happen on vehicles only a year old.

I had a similar thing happen to my last two Astra Sports tourers, black trim around the doors. In my case it was caused by the spray on 'shine' used in car washes. The spray left grey spots that gradually got larger on the trims.

The only thing that helped in my case was to wipe 303 Aerospace Protectant on the trims with one of the cheap pads the ladies use to remove make up.

13 hours ago, 50p said:

Sounds like the dealer 'never seen / heard of that before' senario as there are 2 cases of it happening mentioned in this post.

All very well trying to find a remedy, surely finding what the cause is more key to the issue. Obviously should not happen on vehicles only a year old.

Hi 50p .thanks for reply, my though exactly, am awaiting 2 of 4 arriving from Toyota for dealership to replace them ( on back order) 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

I had a similar thing happen to my last two Astra Sports tourers, black trim around the doors. In my case it was caused by the spray on 'shine' used in car washes. The spray left grey spots that gradually got larger on the trims.

The only thing that helped in my case was to wipe 303 Aerospace Protectant on the trims with one of the cheap pads the ladies use to remove make up.

Cheers mate.

I have used Bilt Hamber products since my first Auris in 2015. Black trim always looks fantastic - I use their Quick Detailer and that puts a nice sheen on the black and doesn't discolour.

My other half had a Fiesta before her first Yaris and that was an absolute ball ache with anything "waxy" anywhere near any black trim. I used Bilt Hamber's Cleanser Fluid and that removed traces of wax on her black trim (seemed to be a Ford thing/texture/material used).

Since we are both now Toyota, BH's QD does a fantastic job every time. Be interesting to see how the Corolla shapes up using the same products in a week or so.

Could all that happen from the car wash, especially if been using these cheaper ones? They tend to spray various chemicals before and after the wash, with no other effects other than cause damage to some materials. Often happened, black or chrome trims around windows. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Could all that happen from the car wash, especially if been using these cheaper ones? They tend to spray various chemicals before and after the wash, with no other effects other than cause damage to some materials. Often happened, black or chrome trims around windows. 

Yes I think its something the dealer cleans with as I got it 6 months old ex demo and reported it at pick up. 

But the sales man has left and report slipped through the net. 

Incidentally when reminding them when I booked in for service they had never seen it happen before but the 70 plate courtesy car looked like it was just starting to fade.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pezz said:

Cheers mate ,have tried back to black and g3 cutting compound .

My supplying dealer reported it to Toyota and got rejected as a warranty claim but have offered to replace them .

They say they've not seen this before but the loan car I had at service seem to be on the start of the same problem. 

When I purchased mine I had them coat it in gen 3 ceramic coating, I do wander if it was something to do with the pre cleaning process before application. 

Actually, I think the ceramic coatings are part of the problem. Mine is done in "Listerine", (Diamondbrite by Listers). The main paintwork is mainly OK apart from spots where bird droppings or tree sap weren't polished out before the sealant was applied, but the black panels between the side doors are textured and may not even be paint. I have reapplied the ceramic topcoat from the Listers kit and the surface is smooth to touch, but textured under the gloss so the reflected light has no depth to it and gives a grey sheen rather than deep black. I recommend a good surface coating of road dirt to avoid highlighting the issue.

I have the same issue on the rear doors of my Corolla Saloon. I reported it to my dealer, he took pictures and reported it to head office of Toyota Ireland.

Last week I got a phone call from my dealer saying that they will be replaced under warranty. Hoping to get them fitted next thurday.

• Like 1

Thank you chippy,fingers crossed they are replacing mine soon but they did say Toyota rejected it so they would stand it .makes you wander whats going on with Toyota. Perhaps they don't want a landslide. 

• Like 1

Had those faded trims replaced during the week.

IMG_20210916_084533373_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210916_084542931_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210916_164139496_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210916_164148375_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Glad to see your new trims .

Am on holiday until Monday so will contact my dealer then 

Cheers. 

Hi, 

I have the same issue with my Toyota Corolla 2020 XR - Purchased in November 2020.

Toyota needs to take ownership of this - we are paying quite a sum for these cars and it is ridiculous to be experiencing such issues. 

• Like 1

Hi,yes I think the more people that push them the better .Good luck. 

I will report any success. 

• 2 months later...

Have the same problem with trims going grey. Took the car to my local Toyota Dealer in Grantham 2 months ago, they took photo's and said they would send them to Toyota, heard nothing since, they also said they had not seen it before.  Strange that it is only the ones on the door and not the piece on the rear pillar. Perhaps it is time to chase them up.

• Like 1

Hi maxi9,yes I would.

I did go through all of that and the dealer replaced them at there own cost ,but in the time I was waiting for the order, that's when I posted on forum. And others have had there's replaced by toyota. 

Another interesting thing was,when replaced I was given a curtesy yards and that was starting to go.!!!.

Going back to my original contract it was suggested it was something it had been cleaned with ,I assured them I only used what they supplied, as I had gemcoat ceramic coating on it by them.

Good luck, don't give in.

After a phone call to my local dealer to chase things up, they agreed to contact Toyota UK again. The dealer phoned me back later today to say Toyota UK had agreed to carry out the work under warranty, booked in next week. A decent result.

Brilliant job.shame you have to fight for it, I thought thought toyota were better than the rest .

Sadly not so.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, my 2020 GR Sport has the exact same problem, which I will be highlighting with my local dealer after the Christmas holidays. Not good for a £30K car with less than 4K miles on it!

• Like 1