Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Black Outside door /window trim losing colour

pezz

Has anyone had these rubbers changed, only to have them fade again?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 50p said:

Has anyone had these rubbers changed, only to have them fade again?

Only had mine changed in September, so I'd say it's too short of a time to tell if these new ones will fade.
Maybe when the summer sun arrives again it will be different, but I shall be keeping an eye on them in the meantime.

• Like 1

Mine is doing the same. I will show the dealer the rubber trims when I go for my service next month. It's clearly obvious that it's a manufacture fault going by the number of reports on this forum. Interesting that it's onlly the bottom trims that run under the windows. The  rest of the vehicle is fine.

• Like 1

Yep, mine too. Also a bit of rubber out of place on the pan roof.

Would any dealer be able to deal as I bought my vehicle from a dealership 83 miles away! I'm guessing yes as a warranty issue although several have commented that they weren't covered under warranty and the dealer did it as a 'goodwill jesture.'

On 12/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, 50p said:

Yep, mine too. Also a bit of rubber out of place on the pan roof.

Would any dealer be able to deal as I bought my vehicle from a dealership 83 miles away! I'm guessing yes as a warranty issue although several have commented that they weren't covered under warranty and the dealer did it as a 'goodwill jesture.'

Hi regarding window trims ,I got the same ,they checked with toyota and got refused but replaced them at there own cost but lots of people on this forum have had toyota except the claim .it needs pushing. 

Regarding any other warranty claim, any toyota dealer should do it. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Same problem on 2021 Corolla GR. Dealer has had warranty claims rejected. 

Think there must be a problem.

• Like 1

Can these be polished with paint polish, I do mine on Auris and they turn nice and shiny like new car. They are rubber material if that matters. If yours painted or different material might not work but worth trying. 👍

Mine still look like new and I also have the Gen 3 ceramic coating.  I was a bit disappointed with the finish at first as it wasn't that shinny.  After a couple of months I gave the car a polish and it brought the paintwork up to what I was expecting.  Since then after every other  wash I give it a spray with Turtle Wax Wet Wax Ceramic spray then dry it with a drying cloth.  I spray everything,  paintwork, windows, but not windscreen, lights, chrome and all plastic and rubber trim.  The shine is good, water beading is good and the black plastic trim is as black as the day it was made.  Unfortunately I am unable to say if it would restore already faded trim.

• Like 1

Autoglym vinyl and rubber care makes them look nice but sadly it does not last long 🙄

my 2nd service is due. I will mention the fading rubbers but not too hopeful of a remedy as I purchase my vehicle from a different dealer. Worth a try though .... 😏

Just spotted this - Our 70 plate Toring had the window trims replaced under warranty - same thing happened

• Like 1

Mine go grey too. I use Einszett gummi pflege on them, though that doesn't last forever.

I might have a moan at the end of the year when a service is due, see where that gets me.

• Like 2

Following this topic as I noticed on my Corolla TS when cleaning it the trims were grey rather than black. I rubbed a section of around 2-3 inches with my nail and it came up black underneath, taken around 10 minutes to do so! I'll maybe try a toothbrush or something similar so as not to scratch the trim. Car not due a service until around March.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got the same problem on my 21 Corrola but it’s only the trim on the doors where they meet the window, all the other trim is still black.

it has been 2 weeks since my service and pictures were taken of the fading issue. Called the dealer yesterday, still no response from head office i was told. Has this sort of time delay been experienced by others or is my dealer stringing me along?

I asked this a while ago but was too early. Has anyone who has had the rubbers changed had the issue return with the replacements?

well, good news! The dealer has agreed to change my faded window rubbers / scrapers and the damaged rubbers on the pan roof under warranty.

Bad news, they have never taken a pan roof out before!

Parts have been ordered and it's booked in for 10th Nov.

On my 2021 TS both rear door lower window rubbers fading to grey. Took it to local dealers last week and they are submitting a warranty claim. Still waiting to hear. Strange that it's both rear doors but front lower door rubbers all good. Interesting to know if all lower window rubbers made in same factory or its just a bad batch.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether the door cards have to be removed to replace the faded window scrapers or not?

I'm guessing that to remove the pan roof to replace some rubbers, most of the upper internal trim will have to be removed. The dealer tells me that they have never done one before 😮

• 5 weeks later...

Mine is going in next week to hopefully have the door seals changed!

When they've replaced the door seals They're going to have to look at the sat nav again!

Apparently I'm in S$%&^(*)Ihorpe  when I'm actually in work's carpark 40 miles away!!

Let’s just see how long the new trims will last, if they turn grey as well means all trim parts are the same, if not means existing issues and Toyota has fixed, which also means each and every Corolla owner with this issue should get replaced trims under warranty. 👍 Dealers should not reject claims. 

On 12/19/2022 at 6:25 PM, DC_Ms said:

Doesn’t help to have a good quality dressing on them with UV protection ?!

I found using snow-foam pre wash makes all black plastics trims and parts look like new , not super shiny but kind of new plastic appearance, very deep colour. Door trims particularly can come back to live with body work hand polish. I do that sometimes and they look good, not all of these likes wax or polish therefore if anyone try best to try first at small area in case things goes other way around. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links