Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bp fuel

Bitch1001

My local garage is BP 

i don’t want to use the new e10 as I only use the car approx 40 miles a week and it doesn’t move for 3 full days as I use our other car as more  boot space etc  , and I’m worried about the water intake In tank  with low consumption 

the other fuel  On offer was a premium ultimate i think  it said E97  ...15 p  a litre more than e10 ...I Always used their 95 

question , is it ok to use ?.. or should I just use e10 .....? And I’m worried for nothing 

Hi, 

not to worry too much unless you leave your car for over a month without use and even so you can add some fuel stabilisers to prevent water separating from the fuel. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucas-Oil-40576-Safeguard-Conditioner-473ml/dp/B08KY8Q1NJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2F7PBOKBVYQLK&dchild=1&keywords=lucas+ethanol+fuel+conditioner&qid=1631294083&sr=8-2
You can also fill up from Tesco premium 99 E5 for the same price as bp 95 E10 if you really worry about the fuel goes bad in your tank. 
Regards 

• Like 1

TBH your Aygo should be new enough that a little water ingress wouldn't cause issues anyway - I'm pretty sure it has a plastic tank so nothing to corrode there, and it uses fuel injection, not a carb, so at worst you'll get a little sputter/cough occasionally if you leave it for ages.

How long does a tank of fuel normally last you? 

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

TBH your Aygo should be new enough that a little water ingress wouldn't cause issues anyway - I'm pretty sure it has a plastic tank so nothing to corrode there, and it uses fuel injection, not a carb, so at worst you'll get a little sputter/cough occasionally if you leave it for ages.

How long does a tank of fuel normally last you? 

I fill up once a month , and I’ve usually got about half left come pay day 

• Like 1

If you want to get really technical, put "E10 phase separation" into your search box !

The ethanol element can absorb water from the atmosphere, but as the petrol in the tank is only exposed to the air in the free space of your tank, there won't be much moisture in that.

@Bitch1001, with that sort of use you'll be absolutely fine using E10 and do not forget, much of the rest of the world have been using E10 for many years without issue.

• Like 2

Few days ago, I went to a BP garage, all the normal unleaded 95 were out of order.  (Perhaps preparing for E10?)  The only one left were Super.  When I looked at the price:  E10 = £1.359, Super = £1.559.  I immediately jumped back into the car and drove away.

Back to the scenario.

I think a number of people have over-reacted to the additional 5% ethanol.  If water did not build up when there were 5% ethanol in the tank, then suddenly 5 more percent will make a world difference?

Furthermore, what a number of people do not know is:  The petrol tank is actually SEALED.  By sealed I mean, no air / water can enter the tank once you screw that cap on.  If the tank were not sealed, you'll "Probably" get a "Checked Engine Light" with EVAP related engine code.

So in effect, the only water that can be in the tank were the water introduced while filling.  But again, while filling, it creates a back pressure forces air / vapour out of the tank.  So the amount of water introduced by air is almost none.