Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Swapping wheels front to rear

Saxmaniac

I noticed on PC the Americans swap wheels round regularly, I believe it's part of the service schedule. Is it frowned upon here? I'm thinking of doing it to even out tyre wear

It is important to note that this is only recommended for vehicles where all tyres are the same size and are not directional. If you choose to fit two new tyres at any time, put the new ones on the rear axle. 

This is advice from Goodyear.  

Why always put new tyres on the rear?  My guess would be:

New front and part worn rear and you eventually reach the point of 4 poor tyres. New rear and part worn front and you always have more rubber.  

It also means less trauma on you wallet not having to get 4 new tyres.

45 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

put the new ones on the rear axle. 

I was under the impression the a rear tyre losing grip (aquaplaning?) would cause a more serious loss of vehicle stability than the same happening on a front tyre, so the tyres with the best tread should go on the back, so yes, definitely a consideration if the wheels get rotated.

Tyres with best tread should go to the drive axle , FWD to the front and RWD to the rear. Rotation of the car tyres is good for getting best out of them for the longest period of time and have them all 4 equally wearing down. Always best to replace all 4 tyres at the same time, matching tyres on all 4 corners is also important for the car stability and safety, imagine you are walking with two different shoes or one new and one old 🤭🙅🏻‍♂️., why would you like to drive with two new and two old tyres, or any combination of different tyres makes or types. The tyres are most important part of the car together with the brake system, the rubber does age with the time and even having a good tread left on them tyres tend to loose most of their properties. Aquaplaning happens mostly when the car is under acceleration while driving through deep water and this is the reason why you can see many car accidents happen on uphill and not downhill. , and while overtaking fast ., since you need more torque to overcome the hill or accelerate the car.  Tyres with rim protectors, run flat tyres and uhp tyres tend to deliver harsher drive and more noise into the cabin. 👍 

• Like 1

The advice from all the tyre companies is that the best tyres always go on the rear axle, regardless of whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. 

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn/choosing-your-tires/replacing-only-two-tires#:~:text=Installing Tires on the Rear,be moved to the front.

I agree with Tony, change all 4 though two better tyres on the back, under heavy braking, might maintain direction better.  If I overcook a corner with FWD I know where I would want the grip. 

• Like 1

I found Goodyear advice on rotation, there's a particular sequence to follow 

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/rotating-your-tires.html

I want to avoid having virtually unworn tyres on the rear that need chucking just because of being old age. Goodyear recommended rotation every 6000 miles or so

Depends on your annual mileage. The consensus is a life of 5-6 years. Factors such as standing unused, under inflated and exposed hot sun will reduce their life too. 

Suggested typical life is 20,000 for front and 40,000 for rear. On that basis, less than 7,000 miles per year your rear tyres would be lifex before wearing out if you don't rotate. 

• Haha 1

Tyre industry advice for over 20 years, when changing just two tyres, has been to put the tyres with most tread on the rear .

When I had a 1996 Corolla and wanted two new tyres, Costco insisted on following Michelin's guidelines, and if a customer wanted two new tyres, Costco insisted the new ones went on the rear. In fact they were content to lose business if the customer disagreed.

• Like 1

I’ve had the same experience at Costco.  They insist that if they are fitting 2 new tyre on your car, they will only put them on the rear.  If you don’t want that, they won’t fit them.

Definitely, better tread on the rear. There is usually less weight on the back, which makes it prone to aquaplaning.

Here are my 2 cents on this topic (supported by Swedish traffic agency). We always rotate our tyres when we change from summer to winter and back again from winter to summer wheels/tyres here in Sweden. We mark the position of the wheel so that we know exactly where it sat the last time. The pattern of rotation (front to back or criss cross) depends on if the tyres are directional or not. Directional=front to back rotation and non directional= criss cross or back to front rotation. Regular rotation means uniform wear and changing of all four wheels at the same time. Cost wise no difference. Equally worn out wheel means changing all four wheels at eight years vs  un even wear (non rotation) means changing two wheels every 4 years for example. Safety wise, better to change all 4 at the same time. If you are forced to change only two wheels/tyres, then the best/newest/best tread always on the back axle. This is best for stability of the car, no matter what sort of car you have, front wheel drive, back wheel drive, or four wheel drive. This information is hammered in to every Swedes head by the traffic agency every year via news paper article, tv and radio. Winter roads can be treacherous if you have got the wrong wheels here!