Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has your Aygo been broken into? Ours has!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys, I am heart broken to say the least, we recently moved into our new home a few weeks ago, we have a driveway for 2 cars but park the Avensis on the drive and my Aygo on the road, its a slip road in a very quiet suburb, according to the neighbours its never happened before! But I woke up to find my passenger side door lock broken into, they took my genuine Aygo ashtray which I really liked and contained a few pound coins, few receipts and my alloy wheel lock nut, interesting how they left my stereo face and camera etc!

My issue now is how do I repair the lock, is there a way of blanking it? Masking the damage etc?

And finally how should I go about sorting my lock nuts, I'm thinking of having them removed and replacing with a new set, is there a way of removing the old ones myself?

Amy help and advice is appreciated Guys.

IMG-20210911-WA0002.jpg

• Sad 2

Sorry to hear tha Sam.

They got your locking wheel nut. What are your tyres like..... could they come back and take the wheels? rgars what I thinking.

From Toyota dealer with the vin number and they can eventually supply with a new wheel nut tool to take the Nuts off and replace with new ones, you need to think about these guys return to steal the wheels if they have the lock,. sorry for that bad experience. 

Makes you want to connect your wheels to the mains electricity.

• Like 2

Looks like they forced the lock, so i doubt there's any use in changing the key.

Maybe try to find some plastic cover that can fit around the lock, to mask the damage.

31 minutes ago, furtula said:

Looks like they forced the lock, so i doubt there's any use in changing the key.

Maybe try to find some plastic cover that can fit around the lock, to mask the damage.

The locks broken but I don't use it anyway 

A cover would make me happy but I doubt they exist ?

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Sorry to hear tha Sam.

They got your locking wheel nut. What are your tyres like..... could they come back and take the wheels? rgars what I thinking.

Hi, I recon they must have thrown the key along with the ashtray and kept the change, I found an Amazon return receipt of ours further up the Road, I'd love to go on a hunt but there's bush on the other side of the road, I'd need a forensics team to even stand a chance!

The tyres and alloys are standard, infact the tyres could do with a change very soon, I doubt very much they'd want them

• Like 1

Sam, the lock damage could be repairable, always worth getting a quote. 

On the ashtray, do a jack from Silent Witness.  Which way was the wind blowing? Which side of the road are the bushes? Were they walking or driving? 

If walking probably no chance.  If driving possibly not thrown far from the car. A quick look upwind, you might get lucky. 

8 hours ago, Mikw said:

That sucks Sam, i'm so sorry to hear that the scotes have done this

Cheers Mikw, it sucks like hell, especially considering that we've only been in this new house for 3weeks, the area we moved from was way more, how do I put it, rough than this quiet suburb, infact my insurance company reimbursed me a sum of 60.00 because in their words it is a low risk area and you have a driveway!

I'd like to get my lock fixed, or atleast mask it because I don't use that lock, I'm thinking if I can remove the lock, I hope it's an easy job, try to straighten the metal surrounding, and maybe place a decal, a plate would be ideal but I guess that's a custom job, and replace the lock.

The locking wheel nuts I managed to order a set via eBay last night at 15.00, so it's just a case of getting the old ones off, had a look last night, thought I'd get away with putting a slightly smaller socket over them but realised they have spinning collars!

I'll see how today goes

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Sam, the lock damage could be repairable, always worth getting a quote. 

On the ashtray, do a Jack from Silent Witness.  Which way was the wind blowing? Which side of the road are the bushes? Were they walking or driving? 

If walking probably no chance.  If driving possibly not thrown far from the car. A quick look upwind, you might get lucky. 

I might get a quote, cheers, no point running it through insurance! Do they even need to know?

I did plan to walk up the road and comb the grassland verges, but embarrassing if people watch you, it's a busy main road on the other side, with mansions over looking

Btw, how much do you think a basic car alarm would cost? Thar may make me feel safer, I know it won't prevent lock picking because the alarm will sound once the doors open, but atleast the alarm will go off and deter them hopefully.

Finally, how do they pick these locks, why put a screwdriver on the outer of the lock and one through the key hole, such an evil thing to do guys!

8 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Finally, how do they pick these locks, why put a screwdriver on the outer of the lock and one through the key hole, such an evil thing to do guys!

Thinking of taking up the trade Sam!

44 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

As a member of the Metropolitan Police Stolen Vehicle Squad once told me (at a closed vehicle security conference) - they do whatever is quickest without regard to the damage it causes and using a screwdriver is quicker than trying to pick the lock.

• Like 1

Why not go to a breakers yard and get a “new” lock?  As you don’t use it, you won’t need the key.  You could get a new ashtray too.

Door locks are not difficult to change and you don’t need a lot of tools to do it.

Sorry to hear about this, it always annoying and a hassle when things like this happen. Years ago I had my old car broken in to, they used the smashed window technique. Like you was expecting no stereo etc., but they only stole my tax disc! For the cost of replacement tax disc I would happily opened the door and given it too them. 

You mention lock covers, I got some on our similar 107, got them years ago, only cost a few quid, but there is a few mil gap round the lock, but maybe you could remove lock and tidy up, touch-up paint and it wouldn't be as noticeable. 

Take the lock out and straighten the metal then sand/paint to stop it rusting, you need at least 1 lock to get in to the car in the event of a flat Battery

the torn metal is from the lock its self being forced

I had a car broken into for an empty cigarette packet that was on the dash. Some desperate, petty minded scum around these days.

• Like 1

You can get those spinning collars off the nuts by using a sharp cold chisel and split it.

Very sorry to hear about your car.

B****ds!! I'm so angry for you!!

At least they didn't nick anything of major value I suppose...

re. the locking wheel nut, they're not fantastically secure -  the old 'Gatorgrip'-type universal socket with the round pins can undo most locking wheelnuts, and I suspect most Toyota dealers have tools to get them off too (I forgot to give them my key once when booked in for a brake job, but they never brought it up and still managed to get the wheels off...!)

56 minutes ago, Cyker said:

B****ds!! I'm so angry for you!!

At least they didn't nick anything of major value I suppose...

re. the locking wheel nut, they're not fantastically secure -  the old 'Gatorgrip'-type universal socket with the round pins can undo most locking wheelnuts, and I suspect most Toyota dealers have tools to get them off too (I forgot to give them my key once when booked in for a brake job, but they never brought it up and still managed to get the wheels off...!)

Lol. You made me laugh re toyota removing your wheels without asking for the lock nut so thank you, feels good to smile.

But good news...I took a walk down our new road and found my lock nut!!! Yay!!! And my receipts etc, it was all lying next to a bush. Lol, yes I carried on walking further down hoping to find my ashtray but no luck. So that's a positive.

Otherwise I removed my door lock, simple job, managed to secure it much better by reversing the rear retaining clip, I managed to push the metal of the door out but couldn't get it flush sadly, it looks 25% better, didn't bother taking a pic for obvious reasons, now I'm on a mission to decal around it OR find a cover, decided not to body shop it incase it happens again...now that I know it takes 3 seconds to break into our aygos I'd rather not fork out on that repair bill.

I will however find out how much a basic car alarm is though first thing tomorrow!

Cheers for the support guys

Not much you can do with these things. An alarm isn't the deterrent as it may have once been. By the time you've heard it, come running out, Mr.Smackhead has ran off with the ashtray thinking he's got £100's in 10p pieces.

Maybe the best deterrent going forward is to keep nothing in the car, as in nothing that could look like it could contain something. Or keep the car in a perpetual state of being a pig sty. 

It's crap, sorry for the loss of your ashtray and the effort you're having to go through to fix the damage some scumbag did. 

Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but tend to agree with Mick in that is an Alarm much of a deterrent these days ? most folk just ignore them and the tea-leafs are usually so quick they are gone in seconds.

Possibly putting up a visible camera might act as a better deterrent, though you have to be careful where you point it in case you may invade a neighbours privacy, always best to ask first.

What we would say, if you see or hear them, just stand inside by the window so they can see you phoning the police. 

Whatever you or anyone else in the house,  do not go out and tackle them, as sadly too many big strong young guys have been killed trying to do just that !

2 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Not much you can do with these things. An alarm isn't the deterrent as it may have once been. By the time you've heard it, come running out, Mr.Smackhead has ran off with the ashtray thinking he's got £100's in 10p pieces.

Maybe the best deterrent going forward is to keep nothing in the car, as in nothing that could look like it could contain something. Or keep the car in a perpetual state of being a pig sty. 

It's crap, sorry for the loss of your ashtray and the effort you're having to go through to fix the damage some scumbag did. 

I agree with all your comments, had a quote of 150 all in for a scorpion alarm, intending to have it installed next week, I think I'll feel better, eventhough it may not deter them, I love my car but hand on heart, its going to be 14 yrs old shortly.

41 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but tend to agree with Mick in that is an Alarm much of a deterrent these days ? most folk just ignore them and the tea-leafs are usually so quick they are gone in seconds.

Possibly putting up a visible camera might act as a better deterrent, though you have to be careful where you point it in case you may invade a neighbours privacy, always best to ask first.

What we would say, if you see or hear them, just stand inside by the window so they can see you phoning the police. 

Whatever you or anyone else in the house,  do not go out and tackle them, as sadly too many big strong young guys have been killed trying to do just that !

Hi oldcodger my friend, I feel as if we've already sipped a tea together years back, gosh the years fly by us.

I agree,people are ignorant these days but as you say maybe because criminal's have become so darn violent eventhough normal people simply wish to protect their property let alone their lives! What has society come to. 

We will be having cctv installed shortly but having an alarm on my aygo just gives me that tiny bit of comfort knowing that they've attempted it again or attempting it if that makes sense.

How's the old rolla getting on these days?

• Like 1