Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 2016 wind noise

Avenzouz

Good day all,

recently bought an avensis from December 2015. It has an automatic gearbox and gasoline 

car drives in the city and on highway truly amazing. The only thing that is really annoying me is that once I pass the 90km per hour, it makes a crazy amount of wind noice. As if a window is open for a little bit.

I used to drive a seat Leon wagon gasoline and that car was definitely way more silent.

I have checked the rubbers and they look all in good shape. All windows are from pilkington assuming they are fabric made.

is it normal that an avensis is not that good isolated regards wind noice? 

thank you for the advice!

• Like 1

I bought a 2015 T27 Tourer in July and as soon as I drove it above 50mph (80kph) there was a lot of extra wind noise, which seemed to be coming more from the left side of the car. All the windows were fully closed, and the rubber seals looked to be in good order. Doing a Google search I found that the seals around the quarterlight windows (the small ones at the front of the front door, next to the wing mirrors) can cause this. So I placed insulation tape over the quarterlight seals on the left side and drove fast to test it. Sure enough, the extra wind noise was gone. My car is still under warranty (Toyota Relax) due to always being serviced by them, so they replaced the quarterlight seal for free and the extra wind noise has gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cessna said:

I bought a 2015 T27 Tourer in July and as soon as I drove it above 50mph (80kph) there was a lot of extra wind noise, which seemed to be coming more from the left side of the car. All the windows were fully closed, and the rubber seals looked to be in good order. Doing a Google search I found that the seals around the quarterlight windows (the small ones at the front of the front door, next to the wing mirrors) can cause this. So I placed insulation tape over the quarterlight seals on the left side and drove fast to test it. Sure enough, the extra wind noise was gone. My car is still under warranty (Toyota Relax) due to always being serviced by them, so they replaced the quarterlight seal for free and the extra wind noise has gone.

It seems to be a not-uncommon problem. I had the drivers side quarterlight seal replaced under the original 5 year warranty on our 2012 Avensis a few years ago. It made a really annoying whistling noise at anything above about 60 MPH.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Toyota replaced yours under the Relax warranty though. Having read the T&Cs of Toyota Relax I was quite concerned that it didn't appear to be very comprehensive and wouldn't cover such issues as this. 

It depends where they fit - some (usually the dearer e.g. genuine Toyota & iirc Climair) fit over the fixed quarterlight but some don't ...

Had a call with the garage today. They said that they have heard it multiple times now but they haven’t found a solution. I am going to check whether the isolation at the small mirrors is indeed the reason. Costs me 100,- to purchase only the rubbers.

meantime I found this hanging but not sure if it’s the reason why it sounds so bad

On 9/12/2021 at 1:08 PM, Cessna said:

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, Avenzouz said:

Had a call with the garage today. They said that they have heard it multiple times now but they haven’t found a solution. I am going to check whether the isolation at the small mirrors is indeed the reason. Costs me 100,- to purchase only the rubbers.

meantime I found this hanging but not sure if it’s the reason why it sounds so bad

image.jpg

Oh I see now it’s just a spiderweb hehe 

• 1 year later...

Check to see if there is any cracks on the inside of the door between the hinge's there is a black plastic piece that is attached to body and door to stop it from over opening, on this black strap where it goes into the door look for cracks on the door where it goes in as it’s common for this to crack and cause that noise

• Thanks 1

I tried to cover it all with tape but windnoise is still here. Is it possible that Avensis is just made with poor insulation? I have had mine for 11 years now and it has 340tkm but I do not remember excessive wind noise.