Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Yaris should I buy?

priusnoob

Assuming my dad buys my current car, I might just get a Yaris with an insurance group that's either group 10 or under and save myself a chunk of change given I barely use the car now. I'm also looking at cars that cost £30 or less each year, on tax, again given I barely use it 

I'd look to hopefully add cruise control, android auto, with bluetooth and a reverse camera. 

I've been told that it's fairly easy to retrofit a new sat nav and a reversing camera but depending on the model, it may not be possible to add cruise control 

I'd like to have cruise control but also I don't want to spend a lot either. I also don't live in London though I will however be in Manchester, which may or may not have similar issues with diesel coming up? I mean unlike London, it's incredibly tempting to park in the centre of Manchester when parking costs are more than reasonable. 

It'd be good to know what model I should get where I can retrofit what I want, without having to pay a lot for it. 

If you're going to go anywhere near one of the major cities it's not even worth considering a diesel - There'll either be a daily 'fine' for driving in them or they'll be banned out right; I'd not even consider a modern one as Euro6 or not, I'm willing to bet they'll ban them outright eventually no matter what their emissions are.

Even if they haven't done it yet it will come eventually - After persuading us all to spend more to get an environmentally and fuel efficient diesel in the past they're now doing the classic U-turn and reaping the harvest. (I'm totally not bitter at all...)

Ahem! Anyway, if you want a car that's £30 or less to tax, that means a car older than 2017, as after that all cars are £145/155 to tax regardless of whether they're 0.6L eco boxes or 8L V8 monsters.

For the Yaris, that means a 1L Mk1 or Mk2, or the later 1.33L Mk2, or a pre-2017 Mk3.

If you really want cruise control, that narrows it down to a later spec Mk3 I believe (I can't remember when the Mk3 got cruise control, but IIRC there were a few specs that got it as standard and some that had it as an option, but only on the 1.33/1.5 and hybrid engines? I don't think the early ones had it at all but I could be wrong!)

• Like 1

The yaris has had CC since the MK2/Gen 2 on most all but the 1.0 and early 1.3

what's your budget, age range, Gearbox type, any colour preference ?

• Like 1

As regards road tax, for vehicles first registered on and after 1st April 2017 only the first year is based on emissions. Subsequent years will be at a standard charge - currently £155 per year.

So if you want a vehicle with no more than £30 road tax per annum, it needs to have been first registered before 1st April 2017.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards road tax, for vehicles first registered on and after 1st April 2017 only the first year is based on emissions. Subsequent years will be at a standard charge - currently £155 per year.

So if you want a vehicle with no more than £30 road tax per annum, it needs to have been first registered before 1st April 2017.

Sure I'm aware about the 2017 ones onward. I probably won't be getting a newish one because well, I rarely use it

@flash22 - Are you sure the Mk2 has cruise control? AFAIK only the US-spec cars with the 1.5L engine had cruise control; I'm pretty sure none of the Mk2s had it here...!

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The yaris has had CC since the MK2/Gen 2 on most all but the 1.0 and early 1.3

what's your budget, age range, Gearbox type, any colour preference ?

Budget - I mean, I have the money but I don't want to spend it on something I barely use 

I have noticed that the 1.33 ones are insurance group 7E which is quite an attractive thing to me tbh. Maybe I'd care less about the insurance group if I actually drove the car a lot more 

After driving an automatic for so long I actually prefer an automatic now but I'm not gonna spend a few thousand more just to have an automatic especially when I passed in a manual. 

Age range. 2007 onwards? No real colour preference tbh. I mean it's not like you get the Yaris in colours like the Vauxhall Adam where it's bright green for instance. The colours on a Yaris are typically a lot more neutral (minus the red one I guess) 

Just now, Cyker said:

Are you sure the Mk2 has cruise control? AFAIK only the US-spec cars with the 1.5L engine had cruise control; I'm pretty sure none of the Mk2s had it here...!

Would it be worth getting a 1.33l engine from say 2011, with the T Spirit model? I'm hoping that would have cruise control? 

I think you'll need to check the adverts for specific mentions of cruise control - There are a lot more variations and refreshes than I realised the for the Mk3!

Apparently on earlier ones the cruise control was only available as part of an options pack on T-Spirit Mk3s; It didn't get fitted as standard until later models where they dropped the sensible and clear T2/T3/T4/T-Spirit grades and started using the nonsensical Icon/Icon+/IconTech/Trend/Design/Dynamic/Excel/ExcelPremium/PremiumBadgers/Ariston/Robocop/Lolwat* etc. grades, but I'm not 100% sure which got it as standard (Definitely the Excel, not sure about the rest....)

I think the Mk3 also had a CVT auto instead of the much reviled MMT so if you wanted an autobox that'd definitely be another plus!

*This list is not 100% accurate

• Like 1