Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2014 1.6VVTi Headlights & main beam problem.

Mike467

Hello everyone. I am a newbie on this Forum and have had Toyota's for many years now, but have not needed to ask for advice…...until now.

I bought a 2014 Auris 1.6 VVTi about a year ago, but due to lockdown, literally didn’t use it at night, but when I did, the headlight issue with this era of Auris was obvious. They are truly like glow-worms in a jam jar. I have found many items on this forum about it and, yes, it is incredible that Toyota could get away with selling cars with lethal headlights. My wife refuses to drive it at night. I have been driving for 50 years and have never seen anything like this.

As with others, Toyota refuse point blank to address this issue, or offer any remedy. The first owner should really have rejected the car.

My attempts to improve things have involved me fitting Phillips X-tremeVision Pro150 HIR2 bulbs. These are said to be 150% brighter, but that was £56.00 down the drain, it made little difference.

Now I come to my current problem, I’m resigned to the lights being useless. I attempted to clean the inside of the lens with some long IPA swabs I have, but when I tested it, the main beam has stopped working. The fuse is okay, but I’m worried that I might have damaged or jammed the shutter, as I believe these are projector lights? I’m assuming the shutter is triggered by a solenoid?

Has anyone had this sort of problem with the main beam and does it mean a very costly replacement or can I take the light out and strip it?

Many Thanks

My commiserations about your headlamps.

The headlamp shutter is indeed operated by a solenoid.  Unfortunately, you can only get to it after you have split the headlamp outer Shell open, which it is not designed to do (clips, mastic type sealant).  Removing the headlamp is a bumper off job, by the way.  As it the headlamp tucks into the bumper void, a bit.

If all else is lost, then there are some things you could try.  I have to rush out now for a while - I could elaborate on this a little later.

Which side is it on, btw?

This thread has some photos of the back of the headlamp, but this headlamp has been in an accident, so was already broken open.  The solenoid is at the bottom of the last picture. and attaches to the shutter via a couple of spring steel loops.

If more pictures of the mechanism would be of use, then I have plenty!

• Like 1

Thanks for your response Gerg. It is the near side one.  I’m thinking the shutter is always up, but pulled down when the solenoid energises?

Thanks

I am not sure what you complain about without pictures. Send us picture low and high beam. It is projector light, not as brigth as reflector but more homogenous.  Mine is fine, better than any H7 FROM VAG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AisinW said:

I am not sure what you complain about without pictures. Send us picture low and high beam. It is projector light, not as brigth as reflector but more homogenous.  Mine is fine, better than any H7 FROM VAG

Funny but true 😂👍

The modified headlamps, which are what would come by default if you had new ones for some reason, widen the beam close to the car.

There is also a different, known problem, with these original, (factory fitted) headlamps - the polished coating on the reflector can start to peel off.  This is much rarer.

To the OP, you've probably seen this thread, if not, it's worth reading from the beginning, but page 2 is relevant about reflector peeling.

In addition, have you had your headlamp beams checked recently?  The MoT will flag the car if the headlamp beams are too high, but if they are too low, nothing is reported.  We had a pair of headlamps changed at our Toyota dealer in Hertfordshire (the TSB related replacement), amongst the many badly reassembled and broken bits the technician caused on other parts of the car, the headlamps were set up really ridiculously low!   (I'm not referring to the dash thumbwheel adjustment, btw.) 

You could consider going to a friendly MoT centre and asking them if the headlamps could be adjusted as high as they can be legally set, it is a very quick job - it only requires the MoT headlamp alignment tool and a No.2 point Philips screwdriver.

13 hours ago, AisinW said:

Mine is fine, better than any H7 FROM VAG

If your car is a 2016 model, as per your profile, you have the facelifted version with different headlamps.

My car is a 2014 (64 plate) model, is that non-facelift?  Just had full service and the shutter problem means a new light is required.  Just awaiting Toyota authorisation, but should be covered under extended warranty.

I'm advised that it should be covered with no problem, but need confimation from Toyota.  If all is well, my next issue might be whether it will match the original offside headlight in terms of output and beam?

Just had full service done and the faulty headlight will be replaced under my extended warranty.  I just need to see how vastly different the two beam patterns are between the two, they wouldn't change as a pair.

The two year extended warranty has paid for itself so far and I've still got 13 months to go on it.  I'll keep this issue updated when new light fitted with photos if possible.

Thanks for all help so far.

• Thanks 1