Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

OK to use different size tires?

HoganH

I had a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited which was recently totaled by a falling tree. I am holding on to 4 snow tires (low mileage) which I purchased in 2019 and were in storage when the car was totaled - size 235/55R18. I just purchased a new 2021 Rav4 Hybrid XLE Prem with a tire size of 225/60R18. Can I use my existing snow tires on my new vehicle even though the tire size is a little different? Appreciate your thoughts!

Don't know what the situation would be in the US, but in the UK (TOC is UK based) you would need to check with your insurer to see whether the different tyre size is acceptable.

• Like 1

This is a UK forum - I guess that you are from North America? So the folk here may not be aware of the specific legislation applicable where you are.

Do you mean tyres or wheels - if you have kept winter wheels they will fit, no problem, but there will be a 1.4% difference in diameter which will impact the accuracy of the speedometer (which may or may not be within legally acceptable limits where you are).

If you have the tyres only, I would be concerned about the difference in the widths of the tyres and whether they will sit comfortably on the new rims. You should probably check the respective rim sizes ... personally, for the sake of the cost of a set of cold weather tyres, I wouldn't take the risk - but it may be OK.

Edit: the 4.4 was on 7.5" rims; the 4.5 is on 7.0" rims

• Like 1

On the tyre manufacturers website under the tyre specifications it lists the approved rim width range. For example with the Toyo Proxes fitted to my RAV they quote rims of 6-8 inches so a difference of 1/2 should not be a problem.

From a technical point of view, according to https://tiresize.com/comparison/ you're probably okay.

The old tyres are wider but shorter, so your speedo will overread by a tiny amount but within legal tolerance (Assuming it was accurate to begin with, at 20mph indicated you'd be doing 19.7mph, and at 90mph indicated you'd be doing 88.7mph). There's only a 1cm width difference so they should fit on the existing rims.

Legalities aside I used a pair of studded winter tyres for many years and on successive cars.  I eventually stopped when the normal size had increased from 155 to 205 (AFAIR). They did the job. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links