Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Rav4 arrived today

PAISLEY1903

My Rav4 Excel in Decuma Grey arrived today. What a beautiful beast it is.

If it wasn't for everyone in this forum I probably wouldn't have got to this point where im comfortable with so many things - thank you so much.

Saying "comfortable" this will make you laugh.... Took the wife to the train station tonight, she's off to see Billy ocean in concert... put her overnight bag in boot, closed it, drove to station and parked up. Whilst inside the car I pressed the boot open button. nothing happened....  (not sure if its a long press or short press but multiple attempts nothing happened).  Got out .. seen some people admiring the car, pressed the boot button on the car (not keys)...  nothing.  at this point im laughing to myself WTF have I done... the wifes getting annoyed at me .. so I say I will open the back doors and pull her bag over the back seats... nope.. there locked as well... front two open back doors locked.  despite pressing the button, pressing the key fob button, nothing was working after sitting in car for a minute it worked.  ive honestly no idea what I did wrong but it was funny seeing the wife train come and go hahahaha! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

If it wasn't for everyone in this forum I probably wouldn't have got to this point where im comfortable with so many things - thank you so much.

Saying "comfortable" this will make you laugh.... Took the wife to the train station tonight, she's off to see Billy ocean in concert... put her overnight bag in boot, closed it, drove to station and parked up. Whilst inside the car I pressed the boot open button. nothing happened....  (not sure if its a long press or short press but multiple attempts nothing happened).  Got out .. seen some people admiring the car, pressed the boot button on the car (not keys)...  nothing.  at this point im laughing to myself WTF have I done... the wifes getting annoyed at me .. so I say I will open the back doors and pull her bag over the back seats... nope.. there locked as well... front two open back doors locked.  despite pressing the button, pressing the key fob button, nothing was working after sitting in car for a minute it worked.  ive honestly no idea what I did wrong but it was funny seeing the wife train come and go hahahaha! 

I think you need to find a quiet moment without pressure, a mug of tea out on the drive and do some practice. Before it ends in divorce.

• Haha 1

Had you accidentally activated lock all doors while travelling (to stop anyone opening doors and grabbing bag or anything on seats or in the boot).

37 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Had you accidentally activated lock all doors while travelling (to stop anyone opening doors and grabbing bag or anything on seats or in the boot).

I have no idea !  will need to trawl through handbook tonight to find that setting to see if I was stupid enough to do something!

I went through a similar situation when I first got mine, I was stood in the supermarket car park trying get stuff out the boot, pressed the button on the boot and it just beeped; tried again, just a beep; opened the drivers door tried the boot switch, nothing!!! I felt a right idiot; fortunately, at that point I remembered my daughter having the same issue with her BMW. The car locks all the doors as you drive off; when you get out the car only the drivers door unlocks, all the others remain locked. You need to press the doors unlock button on the inside of drivers door to unlock all the doors and then the boot will open. Pressing the unlock on the key fob should work as well.

Some of the locking options can be changed I think, but I've not bothered as I've just got used to it now.

It's just possible you have a fault, but please be aware of the following:

1. By default, the doors lock automatically when you start driving (I think at about 10-12 mph).  This can be disabled in the menus if desired.

2. For the boot to open, all the doors must be unlocked (and it's a long press).

3. Not enabled by default, but you can go into the menus and activate a feature that unlocks the doors when you shift to "P".

4. By default, unlocking the car with the fob or touching the door handles unlocks all doors.  The car can be set up (via the menus) so that the first press/touch only unlocks the driver's door, second one unlocks the  whole car
  • Like 1

thank you everyone I will try this tomorrow !!! I found the page where it is 🙂

4 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I think you need to find a quiet moment without pressure, a mug of tea out on the drive and do some practice. Before it ends in divorce.

Sounds like excellent advice!  My Excel in Decuma Grey arrives on Friday and I've decided against a planned 300 mile roadtrip that evening in favour of my wife's car.  Will wait until Sunday when I'm back to grab a mug of coffee and work through the instructions (and this forum!) to get up to speed

That boot button has two sides to it. The RH side like a small raised area and LH side more flat. When I first got mine I had issues opening the boot till I found I needed to use the LH side of the button this has worked OK since. Originally I just used two fingers and that just locked the doors.

I did find a long press on the cabin switch brought up a question on the MID, I can not remember exactly what it said but something about the boot opening procedure, I said yes. The cabin switch has worked  but not consistently?

I've found that if I get out of the car after driving and try to open the rear door it remains locked I have to use the unlock symbol on the drivers door to unlock all the doors. That is something that also caught me out especially difficult in a tight parking space when I have inched to the rear door only to have to go back and open the drivers door to unlock the rear door.

Oh, the joys of motoring?

As Pete suggests above, on mine the doors lock automatically once I've reached 20kph, and unlock when I open the driver's door - which works fine for me but sometimes frustrates my impatient passenger! 😉

The rear door will open only when unlocked, and the button in the cabin requires a 'long' press - the boot won't open if you 'knock' the button accidentally.

Again as Pete says, there are various options, such a to unlock the doors when putting the car back into Park, but the bit that seems most 'confusing' to me is that cars appear to be leaving the dealerships with different initial / default settings ...

Edit: Note that you can view and update these settings via My Toyota > Vehicle Settings

8 hours ago, wellfed said:

Sounds like excellent advice!  My Excel in Decuma Grey arrives on Friday and I've decided against a planned 300 mile roadtrip that evening in favour of my wife's car.  Will wait until Sunday when I'm back to grab a mug of coffee and work through the instructions (and this forum!) to get up to speed

Reading all the posts on the forum, you could come away with the view that you need a degree in order to drive the car. In reality, it's just a car - you can just get in and drive it ... 🙂 Honest!

The new features and Toyota quirks may take some getting used to, but you don't need to use any of those for the first week or three.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

Reading all the posts on the forum, you could come away with the view that you need a degree in order to drive the car. In reality, it's just a car - you can just get in and drive it ... 🙂 Honest!

True, but you could make the case for saying it's not a car at all, but a big network of computers in a box with seats and wheels that can also move you from place to place!  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It depends.   You can faff about with energy reports, driving modes, auto hold, auto wipers, auto high beam if you like.  You can watch the eco gauge like a hawk and hypermile.

Or you can just press the accelerator and go.

I am a little more conscious of recovering energy when coasting down but I tried using the gearbox S to increase this and it was just far too much faff.

I'm getting 20mpg more than my old car without really trying.  In a bigger car.  For the win.

All is good after everyones help!  hitting the unlock button first done the trick.

I have however adjusted the car to unlock when shift to P which is exactly what after.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, PAISLEY1903 said:

Glad to hear you’ve got yours and your working it out lol. I’m looking at week beginning 22nd at dealer.

@Teefin im well pleased with it!  still getting to grips with certain buttons but ive spent time working through all the systems etc so all good 🙂. I bet your excited. I got my dealer to update the software / maps before sending me it.

Only recently got mine too (2nd September)

Dynamic in Dacuma Grey, with Moon roof, JBL, protect pack and removable tow bar absolutely love it

.. already playing and upgrading and changing.

So far... 

1. Darkened all windows

2. Blacked out all side and rear badges and recoloured the s on the hybrid logo 

3. Added wind/rain deflectors 

4. Recoded the ECU so can now open and close all windows and moon roof with remote, changed the number of times the flasher goes when lane changing, and now my boot opens and closes with a warning beep.

Lots more to do..

5 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

@Teefin im well pleased with it!  still getting to grips with certain buttons but ive spent time working through all the systems etc so all good 🙂. I bet your excited. I got my dealer to update the software / maps before sending me it.

My maps and software updated by itself when I hooked up the wi-fi.. 

20210916_012318.jpg

20210914_192111.jpg

20210916_012443.jpg

20210916_012509.jpg

20210916_012533.jpg

20210916_012608.jpg

• Like 1

@D0Z3R2K4, I like the colour it fits well with the car, pleased you got yours, now the fun begins to learn how to get the best of the car and set it up to your liking. Enjoy.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

@D0Z3R2K4, I like the colour it fits well with the car, pleased you got yours, now the fun begins to learn how to get the best of the car and set it up to your liking. Enjoy.

Not really had any major issues, couple of niggles, Moon roof wouldn't close when stationary and only when driving about 10 mph, and what is it with this gear box... Always taking its time to get in to gear... 

7 minutes ago, D0Z3R2K4 said:

Not really had any major issues, couple of niggles, Moon roof wouldn't close when stationary and only when driving about 10 mph, and what is it with this gear box... Always taking its time to get in to gear... 

Can you explain please.

It doesn't have gears.

Not being funny but are you aware of how the hybrid works to apply engine and electric drive?

12 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It doesn't have gears.

Not being funny but are you aware of how the hybrid works to apply engine and electric drive?

No not really.. feel all big and high and mighty now.. congratulations have a medal... 

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

Can you explain please.

Hi... So not 100% on how the gearing works on these things. First time owing a hybrid. So I'll try and explain the best I can . 

I was under the impression I had a 7/8 speed automatic. 

So when I drive and I press the acceleration pedal. I don't get that surge in movement it gives the impression it's waiting to move up to the next gear. The engine sounds like if I had a rev counter I would be redlined for a good 3/5 seconds before it starts to pick up.

Does that make sense.

When I took the test drive out and I put my foot to the floor the power was instant and you got pushed to the back of the seat.. I don't get this at all even with Sports mode.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D0Z3R2K4 said:

No not really.. feel all big and high and mighty now.. congratulations have a medal... 

Not at all.. As I said I wasn't being funny or taking the Micky so sorry if it came across that way. They just work in a very different way to a normal engine.   Toyota have some good videos that are worth watching. 

A CVT doesn't have individual gears and the system uses the electric motor and the engine to drive the car or charge the hybrid Battery.  When you accelerate hard both the Battery and the engine are needed so the engine revs high. 

It should then settle to either running low or even off if you are cruising.

The different modes change the throttle response and how much it uses the engine or the Battery to move the car.

If you floor it you should get a good shove of acceleration so something doesn't sound right.

6 hours ago, D0Z3R2K4 said:

Hi... So not 100% on how the gearing works on these things. First time owing a hybrid. So I'll try and explain the best I can . 

I was under the impression I had a 7/8 speed automatic. 

So when I drive and I press the acceleration pedal. I don't get that surge in movement it gives the impression it's waiting to move up to the next gear. The engine sounds like if I had a rev counter I would be redlined for a good 3/5 seconds before it starts to pick up.

Does that make sense.

When I took the test drive out and I put my foot to the floor the power was instant and you got pushed to the back of the seat.. I don't get this at all even with Sports mode.

It has a CVT epicyclic gear box, so no physical gears, there may be a S mode or paddles but these are not real gears.  With the CVT when you hit the right peddle hard the engine will run up, whine, and be louder that a standard gear box especially a DSG auto which has a pre selector system.  You'll get used to that sound but I've found that I get the best out of any CVT is by progressively pressing the throttle rather than stamping it hard.

Apologies but just my opinion, I'm surprised you're hitting the accelerator hard on a new car? It's always best to run them in even a modern car.  The ECU management system also takes time to work out your driving style and once it has learnt that will program the car to give you a better reaction.

• Like 1