Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake type rear

frankie406

Hi, my 2010 1.33 auris has failed the MOT/NCT again! And have another 2 month waiting time, can anyone help me with the problem of rear brake imbalance? What type of braking system in this car!? I always had bought Bosch system pads and discs and mechanics just put in ,

Brake SystemAkebono type. Parts place have always given me Bosch but mechanic says no its Akebono. Help please

You can use the car vin number to locate what brake system and buy new parts if needed 

https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota.

Very important is proper clean and lube of the callipers slider pins and make sure pistons move freely and return. New brake fluid also a good idea, once all that done and system bleed should not e a problem. 
Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got 3 apps on my tablet which are all very good for locating parts.

1. QH part finder. Just put your reg number in. 

2. Mintex.  Search by make and model.

3. Ate.   Search by make and model.

• Thanks 1

Akebono is the 'brake system', i.e. the original manufacturer of the brake system, but that doesn't mean you have to use their parts; Even Toyota don't use their parts for replacement (The one and only time I let my local Toyota garage do the brakes on any of the cars I owned they used Textar pads - I could have gotten those from euro car parts and fitted for a third the cost of what they charged me!). It's quite common to use e.g. mintex, ebc, ferodo, Bosch, blueprint, pagid, textar, 

Brake imbalance has a lot of potential causes, but TonyHSD's advice is the best place to start; Assuming all the pads have worn evenly and there isn't any grease or other contamination on the brake pads or discs, the things to check are that there aren't any pinched hoses, the pistons and slider pins all move freely and the calipers aren't covered with crap, and then have the brake fluid changed to make sure it hasn't gone off, and the hydraulic lines all bled to make sure there's no air bubbles in them that might be causing this.

• Like 2

Good advice given. 👍

Here it is one more thing: if you replace the brake discs make sure the hubs are cleaned to bare metal and no rust is left or any grease used, only grease should be used on slider pins small amount of silicone paste and that’s it, alloy wheels should be also cleaned prior to mounting them onto the hub, and again no grease just clean metal surfaces. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Akebono is the 'brake system', i.e. the original manufacturer of the brake system, but that doesn't mean you have to use their parts; Even Toyota don't use their parts for replacement (The one and only time I let my local Toyota garage do the brakes on any of the cars I owned they used Textar pads - I could have gotten those from euro car parts and fitted for a third the cost of what they charged me!). It's quite common to use e.g. mintex, ebc, ferodo, bosch, blueprint, pagid, textar, 

Brake imbalance has a lot of potential causes, but TonyHSD's advice is the best place to start; Assuming all the pads have worn evenly and there isn't any grease or other contamination on the brake pads or discs, the things to check are that there aren't any pinched hoses, the pistons and slider pins all move freely and the calipers aren't covered with crap, and then have the brake fluid changed to make sure it hasn't gone off, and the hydraulic lines all bled to make sure there's no air bubbles in them that might be causing this.

Hi thanks for your replies. I don't know where my posts went as I replied to all of you.... 

The question is which is my braking system how come I have bought and used Bosch system parts but mechanic had to buy Akebono handbrake cable he was told this is a jap made car. While on the sites the the other guys have provided the JT in the vin is jap and SB  is for UK (bosch)? I'm really confused now!

Oh, you're saying you think the car has a Bosch brake system but you're being told it has an Akebono brake system?

Not sure then - If the parts fit it's probably okay tho; Typically, at least back when I had my Mk1 Yaris, ones made in japan used Akebono brakes and ones made in france used Bosch ones.

The only way to know for sure is to contact a Toyota dealer with your VIN/reg - They should be able to advise what brake system it uses, and give part numbers for the brakes and such so you/your mechanic can match them properly.

I am not sure what type of callipers and pads are fitted to that particular car, but when I searched for images for the parts, some were similar in design to my Avensis rear brakes. The piston had a cut out and the back of the brake pad has a nipple/pin, just like my Avensis. I mention this many times, that the piston has to wound back with the piston cut out ending horizontal, to accommodate the nipple on the rear of the inner brake pad. If not aligned, it can be more difficult fit the calliper over the brake pad during assembly. Some mechanics will force the calliper on! This will cause either the inner brake pad to work on one part or the piston forced at an angle, jamming it within the calliper bore. This can cause the brake imbalance. 
So everything could be fine, but badly or incorrectly fitted parts can cause issues. Just check everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It finally passed mot, mechanic took it apart and roughed up the pads a bit and cleaned caliper and passed no problem... thanks guys appreciate it all

• Thanks 1

How MOT failed your brake? Do they test drive it or just the failed parking brake?  Auris 2 use Bosch supplier on the back, that's why it uses 13mm bolts. The original OEM calipers, disc, and pads are made by Bosch. The replacement from Toyota dealers have 2 parts, the original is still Bosch pads  but Toyota also sell cheaper version made by Textar with YZZ part number. The front one is made by Advics/Aisin subsidiary.