Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long lead time on Prius

MyOpinionIsWorthless

Quoted 10 months lead time on ordering a new Prius. 
wow

What spec was you after?  Was there nothing in the uk?

• Like 1

Excel in Phantom Blue. 
nothing available in UK

“Chipageddon” blamed

Chipaggedon…. I like it.  Just been reading Toyota are cutting production due to chip shortage. It’s ongoing and won’t be fixed anytime soon apparently.

If it was for you, just keep what what you got a bit longer, they are a nice car. Mine just passed it’s MOT today, 5 years old at end of month. I had it three and a bit years and I still love it as day 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Chipaggedon…. I like it.  Just been reading Toyota are cutting production due to chip shortage. It’s ongoing and won’t be fixed anytime soon apparently.

That is certainly true. I work in the industry and intel are quoting “no return to normality until 2023” so it doesn’t surprise

35 minutes ago, Catlover said:

If it was for you, just keep what what you got a bit longer, they are a nice car. Mine just passed it’s MOT today, 5 years old at end of month. I had it three and a bit years and I still love it as day 1.

Hi Joe, yes I’m of the same mind as you. My Prius was 5 years old this month & as you know I wished I had the 15” wheels like you. Nevertheless, my car whistled through the MOT & is running as smooth as silk. If I was to order a new Prius, it wouldn’t bother me to wait 10 months but with my car running so well I just don’t think I’m ready to do that. I’ve only done about 40,500 miles & the Toyota garage I use for services said they had a Prius customer that has done over 300,000 miles. One of the mechanics I was talking to referred to the Prius as being indestructible. I personally don’t quite agree with that, but I’ve never had a serious problem with any of my Prius cars. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, yes I’m of the same mind as you. My Prius was 5 years old this month & as you know I wished I had the 15” wheels like you. Nevertheless, my car whistled through the MOT & is running as smooth as silk. If I was to order a new Prius, it wouldn’t bother me to wait 10 months but with my car running so well I just don’t think I’m ready to do that. I’ve only done about 40,500 miles & the Toyota garage I use for services said they had a Prius customer that has done over 300,000 miles. One of the mechanics I was talking to referred to the Prius as being indestructible. I personally don’t quite agree with that, but I’ve never had a serious problem with any of my Prius cars. 

So I’m guessing this thread doesn’t apply to you as you are not in the market for a new car

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

So I’m guessing this thread doesn’t apply to you as you are not in the market for a new car

I might not be in the market for a new car at the moment but I was just giving my personal opinion about waiting 10 months for a replacement. I will not be making any further comments on this thread. Many thanks for pointing out I had no rights commenting!

23 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

17 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

I might not be in the market for a new car at the moment but I was just giving my personal opinion about waiting 10 months for a replacement. I will not be making any further comments on this thread. Many thanks for pointing out I had no rights commenting!

Members are welcome to comment on any topic within the Club as long as Club rules are not infringed. Just because a member may not currently be in the market for a new car, doesn't mean that comments they make are not relevant.

It also isn't down to individual members to say that access to any topic is restricted to any particular group. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Members are welcome to comment on any topic within the Club as long as Club rules are not infringed. Just because a member may not currently be in the market for a new car, doesn't mean that comments they make are not relevant.

It also isn't down to individual members to say that access to any topic is restricted to any particular group. 

Mike, I was quite concerned about PaulHD’s comment directed at me. I try to give advice from my own experience & I have also received a lot of help as well as good advice from members like yourself & others that I’ve been very appreciative of. I felt that PaulHD’s comment was rude & have therefore put him as the only member in my ignore list. I don’t think this forum has any place for anybody who puts forward negative comments especially when directed at a particular member. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

New Prius gen 5 around the corner 10 months waiting time for current generation does not sound as best option., I hope I won’t need a car replacement in the next 2 years, the market seems completely off. 

I think the point that Trev and Joe were making is that the Prius should be reliable enough to either wait the 10 months or keep a little longer until supply gets back to normal.

For people on PCP the issue will be in working out what the monthlies will be and how they might change after almost a year of waiting for delivery.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 5:16 AM, TonyHSD said:

New Prius gen 5 around the corner 10 months waiting time for current generation does not sound as best option., I hope I won’t need a car replacement in the next 2 years, the market seems completely off. 

Not seen any info about a mk5 only conjecture and guesswork  

Toyota needs to get its finger out as there is very little time left for a UK hybrid launch. 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, Yugguy1970 said:

I think the point that Trev and Joe were making is that the Prius should be reliable enough to either wait the 10 months or keep a little longer until supply gets back to normal.

For people on PCP the issue will be in working out what the monthlies will be and how they might change after almost a year of waiting for delivery.

Buy now at today’s prices as your car appreciates in those months. The second hand market is crazy atm 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MyOpinionnotrespected said:

Not seen any info about a mk5 only conjecture and guesswork  

Toyota needs to get its finger out as there is very little time left for a UK hybrid launch. 

I don’t think Toyota are going to ditch hybrid technology anytime soon. Not everyone wants or can change over to pure EV, but will take advantage of fuel efficient hybrids that don’t pollute the atmosphere like a wholly petrol or diesel does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I don’t think Toyota are going to ditch hybrid technology anytime soon. Not everyone wants or can change over to pure EV, but will take advantage of fuel efficient hybrids that don’t pollute the atmosphere like a wholly petrol or diesel does. 

Absolutely 👍 

Toyota self charging hybrids are the best alternative to all other types of cars including ice, bev and phev and here it is why. 
First - they have one plug only - all you need is to fill up with petrol which doesn’t weight so much as the Battery does and can take you on a good 500+ miles drive

Second- Toyota sch previously known as (HSD) can stay in ev mode for a long percentage of overall time and this will depend where and how the car been used ( people report 60-80% ev time) it’s amazing achievement without need to plug in 

Third- when ice is used the e motor helps most of the time reducing engine load and emissions 

Now let’s think about., Toyota is working on ice powered by hydrogen, can you imagine they have Prius gen 5 self charging hybrid that has a flex engine- an ice that can work on either petrol or hydrogen or 85% ethanol, consume only around 2ltr/100km 140+mpg and can do 1000+km 600+ miles with one full tank that only cost half of what cost now and pollution almost as bev, no range anxiety, no heavy Battery to carry around, fill up as much as you need and enjoy your drive. 👌 These are my rumours only and I believe it’s the reason why Toyota push American government to hold on full transition into bev. If I have a 2019 Prius now myself I will keep it until I see the next gen if that is possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely 👍 

Toyota self charging hybrids are the best alternative to all other types of cars including ice, bev and phev and here it is why. 
First - they have one plug only - all you need is to fill up with petrol which doesn’t weight so much as the battery does and can take you on a good 500+ miles drive

Second- Toyota sch previously known as (HSD) can stay in ev mode for a long percentage of overall time and this will depend where and how the car been used ( people report 60-80% ev time) it’s amazing achievement without need to plug in 

Third- when ice is used the e motor helps most of the time reducing engine load and emissions 

Now let’s think about., Toyota is working on ice powered by hydrogen, can you imagine they have Prius gen 5 self charging hybrid that has a flex engine- an ice that can work on either petrol or hydrogen or 85% ethanol, consume only around 2ltr/100km 140+mpg and can do 1000+km 600+ miles with one full tank that only cost half of what cost now and pollution almost as bev, no range anxiety, no heavy battery to carry around, fill up as much as you need and enjoy your drive. 👌 These are my rumours only and I believe it’s the reason why Toyota push American government to hold on full transition into bev. If I have a 2019 Prius now myself I will keep it until I see the next gen if that is possible. 

Congrats on your 2019 Prius. 

• Thanks 1

Yes I wish I had a 2019 Prius, could hypermile more then I do now.  Today done a return journey of 16 miles, stopped twice (garden centres) and it did 78mpg. Pretty normal mpg in this weather (22degC)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Yes I wish I had a 2019 Prius, could hypermile more then I do now.  Today done a return journey of 16 miles, stopped twice (garden centres) and it did 78mpg. Pretty normal mpg in this weather (22degC)

Joe, yours and 2019 have the same drive train and battery the only difference is purely cosmetic, unless there is a difference in software how the system works or extra 1-2 mpg from the thinner oil 0w16. 👍

I thought the 2019 had something different with the Battery that gave more mpg.  Mr T recommended 0w-16 pill at the service in June, that was in the engine when we did the holiday trip to Norfolk, only 80.4 on that 700+ mile trip 🙂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Joe, yours and 2019 have the same drive train and battery the only difference is purely cosmetic, unless there is a difference in software how the system works or extra 1-2 mpg from the thinner oil 0w16. 👍

I found there was a difference between 2016and 2019. I think it’s down to a change in the transaxel

18 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I thought the 2019 had something different with the battery that gave more mpg.  Mr T recommended 0w-16 pill at the service in June, that was in the engine when we did the holiday trip to Norfolk, only 80.4 on that 700+ mile trip 🙂

I have found a real world increase between my 2016 and 2019

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MyOpinionnotrespected said:

I have found a real world increase between my 2016 and 2019

What difference?

Just now, Catlover said:

What difference?

2019 easily gets 5-8 more mpg

my normal journey into London is 26 miles in heavy traffic which takes 90mins a mix of 70mph on dual carriageway and 20mph in the city. 
I regularly get 78 and sometimes peak at 86

That’s a fair increase, but even if I could afford to switch it wouldn’t make sense.