Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How are you routing front and rear dashcam wiring for MK3 Yaris?

v1nny

Hi all, I have a 2012 MK3 Yaris, and I recently was gifted a Viofo A129 Duo Dashcam. Could I please ask (any pics would be appreciated!) how you are wiring the cabling for both the Front-to-12V, and Front-to-Rear? I've not hooked it up yet properly but I did a test run of the cables, and I have some questions:

Front-to-12V

• Looks like it's easily tucked in along under the front headliner, and when it goes past the A-pillar, it's easily tucked in under the glove box/passenger mat, and then into the 12V
  • But when it reaches the top of the A-pillar, should it run down along the left (passenger door side) or right (windscreen), or have the A-pillar removed so that the cable can run straight down, but cable tied to any existing cabling? My main concern is impeding the airbag from fully deploying

Front-to-Rear

• Should it run along the top of the passenger doors under the headliner, across the top of the B-pillar (again, will this impede the airbag?), and across the top of the C-pillar (another airbag?), all the way to the rear window? This would bypass the need for it to go up and down and use up less cable path
  • Or should it run along the bottom of the passenger doors, tucked under weather seals and the carpet? Then either up the C-pillar (again, same questions as earlier for the A-pillar (because of the airbag) to the rear window, so it's not impeding both the B and C-pillar airbag deployment? I tested this and with it being 6m, it barely makes it to the rear window where I can still open and close the boot without the cable tugging

So far with my test runs, tucking the cables in behind trims and weather seals seems pretty straightforward, but again, my main concern is impeding the airbags as I have a partner and infant to be driven around. Any thoughts please? Thanks!

Front cam that's about right, run it along the top edge of the A pillar trim (windscreen edge) on the passenger side it the drops straight under the dash

front to rear, run it at floor level with the main body loom 5M is plenty enough dont tuck cables run them properly by removing trim

2 hours ago, v1nny said:

Should it run along the top of the passenger doors under the headliner, across the top of the B-pillar (again, will this impede the airbag?), and across the top of the C-pillar (another airbag?), all the way to the rear window? This would bypass the need for it to go up and down and use up less cable path

That's exactly how mine is routed. No need to remove any trim. Only required pulling the top parts of the door seal rubber down to conceal the cable behind them.

No airbag(s) impeded whatsoever. Excess cable is hidden under the headlining at the rear. Some use the rubber conduit for the cables into the rear hatch which makes for a neater apperance. I didn't but left enough exposed cable to allow the rear hatch to open fully.

Blackvue 2 channel cameras. Installed about five years ago to replace a single front camera. No issues at all.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to use e.g. a cablers rod to push it through the middle of the headliner all the way from the Dashcam to the rear window without having to weave it around the tops of door pillars or along the floor?

Thanks all for the advice. I managed to take the A pillar cover off, and routed both cables down it. The rear cable, I then routed along the bottom near the passenger doors, by pulling off the black plastic trim covers, before routing it back up along the rear passenger door, through the C-pillar, and then finally to the rear windscreen. Not perfect as I didn't route it through the rubber conduit, so dangling slightly, but not enough to impede my vision.

However, when I was reinstalling the A pillar cover back, I managed to break the white middle plastic clip that holds the A pillar in. The A pillar is still held in via the rotating black plastic clip (a bit fiddly to turn!), so I think it is okay as it is, and after a short drive, it hasn't shifted yet.

Must I replace the white plastic clip? Or can I leave it as I don't want to take the A pillar cover off again and risk breaking anything else! 

It looked like the image below.

s-l300.jpg