Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faraday wallet recommendation

PAISLEY1903

Purchased a Faraday wallet from Halfords yesterday at £9.99 here :- https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/halfords-rfid-key-and-phone-blocker-832334.html 

works great and came with a 2 year guarantee on it as well. 

Double the cost of other ones on Halfords site but it had 5/5 reviews v mixed ones on the cheaper type.

It is big, it can take my key, tile tracker and Toyota keyring.  Not something would walk about with - too big but great to put in once home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Purchased a faraday wallet from Halfords yesterday at £9.99 here :- https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/halfords-rfid-key-and-phone-blocker-832334.html 

works great and came with a 2 year guarantee on it as well. 

Double the cost of other ones on Halfords site but it had 5/5 reviews v mixed ones on the cheaper type.

It is big, it can take my key, tile tracker and Toyota keyring.  Not something would walk about with - too big but great to put in once home. 

We got a Faraday box. Looks like an antique book. Both my keys and the wife's mini keys go in it. We've both had cars broken into using the transponder hijacking approach. In the last 2 years. So enough was enough. Quiet little cul de sac in the middle of nowhere and we are almost at the end.

I’ve got a Faraday box that was for my wife’s merc that I use at home but the new keys have a “motion sensor” that puts the key in sleep mode if no motion is detected. This stops it transmitting a signal that thieves can pick up and amplify.

Nothing wrong with a bit of “belt and braces” and using the box as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rigsby said:

I’ve got a faraday box that was for my wife’s merc that I use at home but the new keys have a “motion sensor” that puts the key in sleep mode if no motion is detected. This stops it transmitting a signal that thieves can pick up and amplify.

Nothing wrong with a bit of “belt and braces” and using the box as well.

Agreed.

Recent cars should also have a degree of protection from the key automatically going to sleep if it's not moved for a while (mine's too early a model).  However this is not fool proof as if the key is in a pocket or handbag and gets moved, it wakes up giving a window of opportunity if a thief is trying to get your car during he period before it goes to sleep again.

I take some comfort from the fact that thieves using relay equipment tend to look for more exotic kit than Prius and RAV4, but that can't be completely relied upon.

So, when I get home, or if I'm in a restaurant or somewhere where I might be observed leaving my car and staying fairly near, I put the key to sleep manually (this works on keys that do have or don't have the new auto-sleep facility).  While pressing and holding the lock key, I give two quick presses of the unlock key.  Two double flashes of the little red light confirm it's worked.  Pressing any key wakes it up, so I usually just press the unlock key to open the car as I approach it.

I also use a Faraday pouch overnight or if I'm not using the car during the day.  The spare key lives in a metal key safe, and should go to sleep after a week or two anyway.

Edited by PeteB
I was writing this when the previous post was added!
  • Thanks 3

At least you should always know where your keys are 😂😂

Just read that by pressing the lock button on keys down whilst pressing open button twice (whilst lock is held down) key fob flashes 4 times and stops signal.

I just tried it there, went out to car and it didn't open.  Pressed a button and it then worked again.  Have just done that with the spare key and might do it with my car every time I get out it away from home!

EDIT - @PeteB beat me to it. well done, will be doing exactly what you do.

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Recent cars should also have a degree of protection from the key automatically going to sleep if it's not moved for a while (mine's too early a model).  However this is not fool proof as if the key is in a pocket or handbag and gets moved, it wakes up giving a window of opportunity if a thief is trying to get your car during he period before it goes to sleep again.

I take some comfort from the fact that thieves using relay equipment tend to look for more exotic kit than Prius and RAV4, but that can't be completely relied upon.

So, when I get home, or if I'm in a restaurant or somewhere where I might be observed leaving my car and staying fairly near, I put the key to sleep manually (this works on keys that do have or don't have the new auto-sleep facility).  While pressing and holding the lock key, I give two quick presses of the unlock key.  Two double flashes of the little red light confirm it's worked.  Pressing any key wakes it up, so I usually just press the unlock key to open the car as I approach it.

I also use a Faraday pouch overnight or if I'm not using the car during the day.  The spare key lives in a metal key safe, and should go to sleep after a week or two anyway.

Whoa. Didn't know this. 

Some of the clothes I wear when walking have a lined pocket to put credit cards in to stop them from being cloned, works as a Faraday cage. Simple but effective. I've got a couple of leather faced flap over cases that are great as these can take the key fob and ring plus a few tags i use as discount cards at certain shops. (e.g.. Screwfix, Go Outdoors) My keys go to sleep but as has been said better safe than sorry.  If all else fails I have used an old toffee tin box from my youth, decorative and practical.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use the Defender pouch which is Best Buy in a number of UK surveys, I use the smaller version as it fits, just, in pocket. Cant even detect when in car. Good price at Amazon with two for under £6

• Like 1

I ended up with a great box and use the pouch when staying over in hotels etc.  saying that every time I leave car I disable the key immediately.

• Like 1