Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross wireless Apple CarPlay

RodgeF

I am going to order a Yaris Cross premier edition. One of the features I like is wireless Apple CarPlay. I know I can connect the phone via cable.  My question is if I select city & advanced pack will I lose wireless Apple CarPlay feature? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, RodgeF said:

I am going to order a Yaris Cross premier edition. One of the features I like is wireless Apple CarPlay. I know I can connect the phone via cable.  My question is if I select city & advanced pack will I lose wireless Apple CarPlay feature? 

Thanks 

I believe I'm right in saying that the Toyota Head Units only work with a cable connection for AC/AA... (wifi/wireless doesn't work at all at the moment)

1 hour ago, CPN said:

I believe I'm right in saying that the Toyota Head Units only work with a cable connection for AC/AA... (wifi/wireless doesn't work at all at the moment)

The Yaris Cross is the first Toyota with the availability of wireless Apple Carplay & Android Auto ( on certain specifications ) 

2 hours ago, RodgeF said:

Thanks 

You need to ask this question ( & get the answer preferably in writing ) from your Toyota dealer OR Toyota UK.

The Yaris Cross is such a new model I doubt anyone on here could answer your question - unless they work for Toyota UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excel, Dynamic & Premier edition come with an all new MM21 9" Toyota smart connect headunit with wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play & Connected Toyota navigation, Icon & design carry over the same MM19 8" headunit installed in current Toyota models which only supports wired AA/ACP.

Design models can option a Tech pack which upgrades to the new MM21 setup

Excel can option a City pack which adds 360 degree panoramic camera, advanced park assist, wifi & voice recognition this does however downgrade the MM21 headunit to the earlier MM19 setup

Dynamic & Premier can option a City & advanced safety pack which adds the 360 degree camera, advanced park assist, wifi & voice recognition, Front & rear parking sensors with intelligent clearance sonar & auto braking, rear cross traffic alert & blind spot monitor this does however downgrade the MM21 headunit to the earlier MM19 setup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Excel, Dynamic & Premier edition come with an all new MM21 9" Toyota smart connect headunit with wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play & Connected Toyota navigation, Icon & design carry over the same MM19 8" headunit installed in current Toyota models which only supports wired AA/ACP.

Excel can option a City pack which adds 360 degree panoramic camera, advanced park assist, wifi & voice recognition this does however downgrade the MM21 headunit to the earlier MM19 setup

Dynamic & Premier can option a City & advanced safety pack which adds the 360 degree camera, advanced park assist, wifi & voice recognition, Front & rear parking sensors with intelligent clearance sonar & auto braking, rear cross traffic alert & blind spot monitor this does however downgrade the MM21 headunit to the earlier MM19 setup

I wish I could understand the mindset of the boffins in Toyota GB?! Why on earth would you add an option and then downgrade something else??!!! Never ceases to amaze me... they must be on some weird drugs or something!!😵

• Haha 1

it's probably not the boffins but the marketing dept. ... no doubt citing price points, market segmentation etc.  🙄

I've given up trying to understand Toyota UK reasoning of standard & available optional extras on there product offerings.

• Like 1

Yeah, me too - There's no consistency so you just have wait and see if the car is acceptable when it comes out and if not move on or wait and hope the spec randomizer will come up trumps in some future facelift version. It's like a discussion that was had in an older thread - I don't know why there is so much resistance to a Just Put Everything We Have On It top-spec model instead of having some features on one spec and some on another (Like why can't I have a Blue Excel Mk4 Yaris?! Also the GR Yaris is a perfect example of this - Why force people to have a decent sound system, satnav, parking sensors etc. OR limited slip diffs?! I can see no technical or financial reason for this - These systems don't interfere with each other and a significant number of people would gladly pay a couple grand more for such a setup!). I really want to know who the people they are surveying to make these decisions are, as they clearly aren't people like us, and we are the ones buying these cars!!

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't know why there is so much resistance to a Just Put Everything We Have On It top-spec model

I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat and to hell with the cost!

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

(Like why can't I have a Blue Excel Mk4 Yaris?!

...or why can't I have a completely Black Excel Mk4 Yaris (my favourite absence of colour) with a dark interior trim instead of easily marked white?!

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Also the GR Yaris is a perfect example of this - Why force people to have a decent sound system, satnav, parking sensors etc. OR limited slip diffs?! I can see no technical or financial reason for this - These systems don't interfere with each other and a significant number of people would gladly pay a couple grand more for such a setup!). I really want to know who the people they are surveying to make these decisions are, as they clearly aren't people like us, and we are the ones buying these cars!!

Exacta Mundo!!

• Like 1

If the part of Toyota I work for took the same approach to specs & options on a product as the automotive side does - we wouldn't have many customers left.

6 hours ago, forkingabout said:

If the part of Toyota I work for took the same approach to specs & options on a product as the automotive side does - we wouldn't have many customers left.

Wow! That's a pretty damming inditement from an insider! 😮

22 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

That’s a useful bit of information on the city pack. I was looking at that as a add on option. But now realise it will result in the head unit being downgraded. Not a clever combination and probably one that some sales staff will not be aware of.

23 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

1) By "Connected Toyota Navigation", does that mean built-in SatNav (additional to AA/AC) as in the way it is on the continent?

2) Does that magic word "wifi" mean that even though it reverts to the MM19, you can connect wirelessly to AA/AC then? (as opposed to cable)

3) as in (2) above?

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, me too - There's no consistency so you just have wait and see if the car is acceptable when it comes out and if not move on or wait and hope the spec randomizer will come up trumps in some future facelift version. It's like a discussion that was had in an older thread - I don't know why there is so much resistance to a Just Put Everything We Have On It top-spec model instead of having some features on one spec and some on another (Like why can't I have a Blue Excel Mk4 Yaris?! Also the GR Yaris is a perfect example of this - Why force people to have a decent sound system, satnav, parking sensors etc. OR limited slip diffs?! I can see no technical or financial reason for this - These systems don't interfere with each other and a significant number of people would gladly pay a couple grand more for such a setup!). I really want to know who the people they are surveying to make these decisions are, as they clearly aren't people like us, and we are the ones buying these cars!!

I've mentioned it before, we are an awkward market demanding/legislating the same high safety, fuel and green credentials as the rest of Europe but all packaged into a RHD car adding developments costs into what is by overall EU sales a small market.

All models require homologation which with the new WLTP regulations adds massive cost which in turn means Toyota have to guarantee sufficient sales to recover such huge outlays something the GB market struggles with. At present there is only one homologated Yaris and one Yaris GR the homologation allows a % variation either side of the tested model so Toyota GB will homologate one mid spec model such as a Design then they can spec other trims that fit within the allowed variation and leaving a small margin for accessories* added by you at purchase, it becomes a massive juggling act working out what can be added to each car to suit the market buying, the allowed weight variation & cost, factor in the way options are allow from the factory where some options can be added individually but others only in packs it is a massive headache and it will not always be possible to please everyone.

The GR Yaris as an example cannot be ordered with both circuit pack & convenience pack as in combination they would put the car outside of the allowed homologation, to do so would require homologation of another model type at huge expense which on a model that is already a loss leader is just not financially viable and to be fair to Toyota they didn't get it all that wrong order books are full ( & closed ) through to 2023 the lack of both circuit & convenience pack combined has not hampered he sales at all. Conventional Yaris is a similar story it has been the biggest seller in market across the EU as a whole the factory is flat out with no unsold capacity and there a very little unsold Yaris in stock in the UK 

(* WLTP regulations require any permanent accessory that either weighs more than 1kg or affects aerodynamics fitted by Toyota or its dealers are noted and included into the certificate of conformity issued by Toyota at point of sale, this is done after the car has been built and any POE ( port of entry ) accessories are installed and once certified if we as a dealer add more accessories that meet the WLTP requirements we would have to reapply for certification ensuring we stay within the allowed weight limits otherwise the certification will be rejected and registration cancelled or denied, As owners you are now also required to consider any alterations or modifications and notify them as well now, otherwise the taxman may decide you are underpaying tax on a car declared cleaner & more fuel efficient then it now is, the likelihood as owners of being caught is slim but as a brand or dealer the taxman only has to look at a sales invoice ( which they do ) to ensure we are complying with regulations )

An example of the new WLTP regs having an effect would be a Hilux 2.8 Double cab manual, as mentioned earlier there is only one GB homologation for this model which covers all the trims from Base active up to top of the line Invincible-X there is nearly a 100 kg difference in weight between the two trims but the upper weight allowance to meet WLTP regs is the same for both models therefore an active model can add approx. 130 kg of WLTP counting accessories whereas an Invincible-X can only add approx. 30kg consider a tow bar with electrics is 28kg legally you couldn't add 3kg rubber mats with homologating an all new model variant at massive expense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPN said:

1) By "Connected Toyota Navigation", does that mean built-in SatNav (additional to AA/AC) as in the way it is on the continent?

2) Does that magic word "wifi" mean that even though it reverts to the MM19, you can connect wirelessly to AA/AC then? (as opposed to cable)

3) as in (2) above?

1. No the New Connected navigation is a Toyota equivalent to Google maps etc and is cloud based

2&3 If you spec the option pack and get the "downgraded" head unit with WIFI it includes factory navigation module just like Corolla , C-HR (which Yaris does not get) the WIFI is to connect the navigation module for map downloads it does not include wireless AA/ACP again like current setup.

• Thanks 1

I hear what you're saying Devon, but I tell you if they sold only one GR Yaris with everything on it instead of 3 different variations I bet the sales would have been just as good, Toyota would make more money, and the people buying it would be happier! I honestly think Toyota GB do not understand their target markets.

I suspect that the fact that the sales figures are so good is in spite of the decisions made, not because of them; In the case of the GR4, Hot hatch enthusiasts have been starving for something like the GR Yaris for years - Every other performance car is either just a lightly riced version of the normal car, or a giant land boat. The GR4 is truly something special, there is nothing this nippy and bred for purpose out there in this segment. Literally no manufacturer has had the cajones to make something like this since the golden age of WRC. I think even Toyota were utterly shocked and blindsided at how hungry people were for something like it.

Same with the normal Mk4 - It is a really good car and what all hybrids should have been from the start - Economical AND powerful. If early hybrids were like this the whole "hybrids are slow and boring" hate that the Prius engendered would never have existed. It's flying off the shelves in spite of its deficiencies, not because of them. For instance, this thing with the 17" wheels on the higher-spec models: 16" rims would have been fine and they would have more 'homologation margin'. Literally everyone, even the press, say the 17" rims make the car worse, and even the mpg and CO2 are worse - This is supposed to be an eco-friendly car! Yet they choose to fit those but not let you have e.g. a pano roof with a spare wheel, or wireless charging or heated seats etc. It makes no sense! It annoyed me so much I actually had 15" steel rims fitted instead and they make the car so much better! And how does different colour paint or interior come into the homologation margin anyway??

In my case, a perfect storm of events came together which led to me getting a Mk4, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one, not this early at least - After e-mailing Toyota GB with my reasons for not getting one and what I thought they should do, I was fully prepared to wait several years to see if they'd listen. It's lucky current and near-future EV's suck so much or I might not have gotten one!

(I am glad I did tho' - The Mk4 is a !Removed! good car! :biggrin: )

I must confess I don't understand how all this homologation margin thing works - Is it just the WLTP emissions mainly? If so, can they not just homologate the highest spec/emissions one? Then all the lower-spec versions would surely be under that rating so it'd be fine? There must be a trick they're missing - Most Euro manufacturers like VW have many times more options and base trims than Toyota and if homologation was that much of a barrier surely they wouldn't be able to do that...?!

Sorry if it feels like I'm having a go - Don't mean it to sound that way and it's not directed at you; I have always been a fan of the products, the cars - They are so well laid out and I can really appreciate the attention to detail and thoughtfulness that goes into most of them, but I find the UK arm of the company really frustratingly obtuse sometimes!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I must confess I don't understand how all this homologation margin thing works - Is it just the WLTP emissions mainly? If so, can they not just homologate the highest spec/emissions one? Then all the lower-spec versions would surely be under that rating so it'd be fine? There must be a trick they're missing - Most Euro manufacturers like VW have many times more options and base trims than Toyota and if homologation was that much of a barrier surely they wouldn't be able to do that...?!

Sorry if it feels like I'm having a go - Don't mean it to sound that way and it's not directed at you; I have always been a fan of the products, the cars - They are so well laid out and I can really appreciate the attention to detail and thoughtfulness that goes into most of them, but I find the UK arm of the company really frustratingly obtuse sometimes!

Its honestly massively complicated but in short the EU ( which we still agree to comply with ) have average emission targets which all the manufacturers have to comply with, in 2021 a manufacturers entire range should have a average co2 output of 95g/km the fines are 95 euro per gram per car sold over the average and could total hundreds of millions in fines so manufacturers are pairing their ranges and adding electric models, Toyota is ahead of all the mainstream brands and one of the few likely to avoid fines, see HERE

Creating a high end model with everything on it would be contrary to the above hence why they pick a lower range model which with a % variance allowed give a lower average co2 for the whole model 

Cost is also a huge factor homologating additional models costs millions, now for a relatively small market such as the UK if Toyota can cover the majority of sales with just one RHD model homologated they will as the potential extra sales of an additional higher spec model are highly unlikely to recover the additional cost of homologating an extra model type whereas the EU has a comparatively huge market which can justify the additional costs, sales potential on the continent means they can have 5 models homologated to our 1

1 x 1.0 Conventional Manual

1 x 1.5 Conventional Manual

1x 1.5 Conventional CVT

2x 1.5 Hybrid allowing a greater model range

Now the additional conventional an hybrid models available on the continent negatively affect the fleetwide average CO2 but the additional sales volume offsets the cost implication whereas if we had all the extra models in the UK we would have the same negative CO2 affect in addition to the EU models but without the offsetting sales volume.

• Thanks 1

Well, all I can say to all that Lee is (a bit early...) Bah! Humbug!!☹️😉

16 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

All models require homologation which with the new WLTP regulations adds massive cost which in turn means Toyota have to guarantee sufficient sales to recover such huge outlays something the GB market struggles with. At present there is only one homologated Yaris and one Yaris GR the homologation allows a % variation either side of the tested model so Toyota GB will homologate one mid spec model such as a Design then they can spec other trims that fit within the allowed variation and leaving a small margin for accessories* added by you at purchase, it becomes a massive juggling act working out what can be added to each car to suit the market buying, the allowed weight variation & cost, factor in the way options are allow from the factory where some options can be added individually but others only in packs it is a massive headache and it will not always be possible to please everyone.

Interesting post. I had no idea of all that. As I mentioned in my newbie post, I was frustrated because I couldn't get the HUD as a pac option without buying, either a leather trim model (called "Iconic" in France), or the fully loaded "Collection" (+/-= "Launch"), which only has panoramic roof and the luxury sound system as options. At the end of the day, that meant 3k€ +/- extra.

Edit: It looks like the HUD is available as an option on the Excel trim, not available on the Dynamic trim (which is the close to the French "Collection" trim, except the paint choices are much wider in the UK), and is standard on the Launch edition. The "Dynamic" moniker designates the basic trim level in France (across all model ranges).

As to the WTLP/Homologation thing. If you order a panoramic roof on the French "Collection" trim (+/-= Launch edition), then you can't order the spare wheel, which is probably not a big deal for most people. 

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Cost is also a huge factor homologating additional models costs millions, now for a relatively small market such as the UK if Toyota can cover the majority of sales with just one RHD model homologated they will as the potential extra sales of an additional higher spec model are highly unlikely to recover the additional cost of homologating an extra model type

As a former Sales Manager/Sales Director (but not in the automotive market) I am always interested in hearing how other markets work & once watched a whole presentation on car marketing - 1 of the interesting takeaways from that was that whilst mainstream mass market manufacturers will have base & top models of a model what they are really aiming (& expecting ) to sell is/are the middle model(s). Occasionally, they get it wrong & e.g have a far higher take-up of the top model than expected/planned for which can cause them problems in terms of production.