Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

LED

c90

If you mean current production then the Toyota GB website says "LED Adaptive Front light System (AFS)"

Just looked up the AFS system so I guess they could be LEDs. cheers H.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:37 PM, Heidfirst said:

Interesting comment on there from a Kiwi driver who says they should be banned! Personally I prefer the Honda CR-V adapted foglight approach which is really useful when turning into tight spaces at night. 

you can switch them off on your own car but of course you can't on other people's cars ...

I'm not a fan of LEDs anywhere, I find them cold, harsh and blinding.

I've always preferred HIDs as the best type of lighting.

5 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Interesting comment on there from a Kiwi driver who says they should be banned! Personally I prefer the Honda CR-V adapted foglight approach which is really useful when turning into tight spaces at night. 

I don’t understand the problem that NZ driver had. The lights are not driving the car. More then likely he was going too fast for the road. That’s how I saw it.

I read it as the lights from other drivers with AFS were blinding him/making him think that they were coming at him?

Yeah, I assume it's because they were aiming at him around the corner as the car turned, but that seems a bit disingenuous to me - It's like complaining that people blind you when they come over a hill, and even normal headlights can blind you round a corner if it's a left turn (In RHD countries anyway).

IMHO it's just one of those things you have to deal with in night driving - Given how many people I come across in the country who don't dip their high-beams against oncoming traffic I don't see how he can even drive at night :laugh: 

My bug bear is still DRLs - They make it much harder to spot bikers and things not equipped with DRLs (scooters, cyclists, pedestrians etc.) out the corner of your eye, esp. when the light is dim but not yet dark, and I also find them painfully bright at dusk. I wish they'd auto-dim or switch to sidelights as it gets darker, but it seems no auto-light system will switch to sidelights - Mine goes straight from blinding DRLs to dipped beams! I've also discovered my car has no Off for the lights, so I've no way to stop it flicking between dipped beams and DRLs repeatedly as I'm going through shaded areas. A guy in front of me thought I was flashing him and started swearing at me last week! :sad:

As far as I know flashing is not in the Highway Code and thus should be ignored or at best proceed with extreme caution.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

As far as I know flashing is not in the Highway Code and thus should be ignored or at best proceed with extreme caution.

Rule 110

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

"A guy in front of me thought I was flashing him and started swearing at me last week" 

Well he saw you then so you were in full compliance with Rule 110 and he was unaware of Rule 111.

Rule 111

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

While on light signals, a left turn signal may indicate the car will turn left before it reaches you.  It may also indicate it will turn left after it has passed you, or stop, or go straight ahead, or even turn right.  Even when you see the car begin to turn left do assume it will turn left, it might even do a U turn. 

Rule 104

You should also

• watch out for signals given by other road users and proceed only when you are satisfied that it is safe
  • be aware that an indicator on another vehicle may not have been cancelled.

• Thanks 1

Well, I got the first part wrong, and second part ok.

• Haha 1

It's not a case of whether it complies with some law, it's more courtesy to other road users - I'd be annoyed if someone behind me kept turning their beams on and off at me, esp. these super bright LED ones! I already found it annoying when I was on the receiving end but it's even worse that I've become the thing I previously despised!

This is the thing I hate about automatic systems, especially ones that can't be overridden - There's always an edge case the automatic system can't handle properly so having overrides is essential!

The only thing I can do to stop it (Assuming I notice that it's doing it!) is turn the sidelights on manually, but that's not a great solution either; I really don't know why the stalk doesn't have an Off position...

It's all a bit moot tho' - Judging by what I see I'm sure I'm the only driver among millions that even pays attention to this sort of thing, so the poor git will just have to get used to an army of cars turning their dipped beams on and off unbeknownst to the driver as they pass through shade!

I guess I should be thankful the auto-wipers has an Off.

28 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Well, I got the first part wrong, and second part ok.

Only because I read Honest John yesterday about the new Highway Code. 😊

I was told a long time ago that the only thing a a flashing indicator means for sure ,is that the bulb (or nowadays LED) works.

It has saved me more than once when pulling out onto a main road from a side street and a car is approaching with indicator flashing merrily away only for the car to carry straight on .

Probably the same drivers who leave you sat waiting to join a roundabout and do not indicate that they are leaving at your junction.

🙄

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The only thing I can do to stop it (Assuming I notice that it's doing it!) is turn the sidelights on manually, but that's not a great solution either; I really don't know why the stalk doesn't have an Off position...

I have a strong suspicion that it is EU/UNECE mandated ...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's all a bit moot tho' - Judging by what I see I'm sure I'm the only driver among millions that even pays attention to this sort of thing, so the poor git will just have to get used to an army of cars turning their dipped beams on and off unbeknownst to the driver as they pass through shade!

I guess I should be thankful the auto-wipers has an Off.

I've had three close calls when my lights have come on and been misunderstood.  There are two local locations where the lights can come on and off several times even in bright daylight, so I'm on my guard and do sometimes switch on the side lights (and try to remember to turn them off again after!).

It's also annoying to sit in the car in READY Mode when parked and be forced to have the lights on, often without me being aware unless I check the indicator on the dash (or it's really dark!).  They will even come on in "Ignition" Mode (after Accessory, where all the warning lights come on but the car isn't 'READY'), so it's a big hit on the 12V Battery - another reason for only using READY Mode when stationary!  At the very least, they could have made it so that auto headlights don't come on until the first time the parking  brake is released, as is the case for DRLs.

I'm pleased that, at least, I can (and do!) elect not to activate the Auto Main Beam feature.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links