Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV... what's the score with the cargo light? And where did the puddle lights go?

Nick72

I'm sure there were supposed to be puddle lights on the car but there aren't any on mine or they aren't working or need setting somewhere? 

Why does the cargo space light not come on automatically when you open the boot? Fumbling around earlier after a 17 hour work day, couldn't see a thing, eventually found the switch, turned it on and it was light a kids torch bulb from 1976 attached to a single AAA Battery. Still couldn't see a thing. 

Any solutions appreciated. 

Thinking I might need to put a rechargeable stick on PIR activated light in there.

6 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'm sure there were supposed to be puddle lights on the car but there aren't any on mine or they aren't working or need setting somewhere? 

Why does the cargo space light not come on automatically when you open the boot? Fumbling around earlier after a 17 hour work day, couldn't see a thing, eventually found the switch, turned it on and it was light a kids torch bulb from 1976 attached to a single AAA battery. Still couldn't see a thing. 

Any solutions appreciated. 

Thinking I might need to put a rechargeable stick on PIR activated light in there.

My puddle lights are present but they are not supper bright.  The boot light is I think a standard bulb, I'm looking to change mine to an LED (with an internal resistor to fool the fault system) its on my jobs to do list.  There are plenty of options to change this for something that will give light that will reach the other side of the boot. 

• Thanks 1

On You Tube you will find videos for fitting LED cabin bulbs for RAV4 from previous models all the way to 2021. I done it recently to my Prius, makes a big difference.

• Thanks 1

I've changed to an LED light, which is better but still not brilliant. I've also ordered this: Tailgate camping light For TOYOTA RAV4 2019 2020 reading light in the car LED rear door lighting 10W 6000K|Signal Lamp| - AliExpress which looks excellent. But will require a bit of disassembly on the boot door panel to install I think, so not sure when I'm going to get round to fitting it!

• Like 1

If it's the same a the RAV4 Ordinaire the puddle lights under in the bottom of the door mirrors.  They only seem to come on when you unlock the car from the outside.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ernieb said:

My puddle lights are present but they are not supper bright.  The boot light is I think a standard bulb, I'm looking to change mine to an LED (with an internal resistor to fool the fault system) its on my jobs to do list.  There are plenty of options to change this for something that will give light that will reach the other side of the boot. 

Thanks. I need to check again. Maybe they weren't bright enough for me to see them. Unless there are settings missing? 

I just ordered a rechargeable PIR activated light. I'll put velcro tape on it. Can't be bothered trying to find the light switch every time i open the boot at night. That's too ridiculous. I'll put velcro tape on the back and stick it to the back of the seats. 

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

If it's the same a the RAV4 Ordinaire the puddle lights under in the bottom of the door mirrors.  They only seem to come on when you unlock the car from the outside.

Maybe that could be it. I'll recheck the sequence. 

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Maybe that could be it. I'll recheck the sequence. 

It does seem odd.  On previous cars they've been on the inside of the door trim and come on whenever the door is open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

It does seem odd.  On previous cars they've been on the inside of the door trim and come on whenever the door is open.

Last couple of cars have had the light under the wing mirror but we're quite powerful lights. They came on whether you were unlocking on approach or getting out. Either way you want to see and avoid the puddle or dog !Removed! I think. 

My puddles come on when I come near the car with the key on me, perhaps I setting somewhere, I think there is one for courtesy services or something like that.

• Like 1

Thanks each. Puddle lights definitely not coming on when I approach or unlock. But I haven't had a look through the settings yet. Will try this week.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, PeteB said:

In fact, I went and checked and on mine they do also come on when I approach the car with a key in my pocket, I'd just forgotten that.

• Like 1

@Nick72,

I can confirm that the 'piddle' lights come on if you have the key with you, they are so weak.

I've changed the halogen bulb in the boot for a LED, big difference I can now see across the boot. I've also changed the vanity light bulbs, The internal door operated bulbs and the reversing lights.  The later is amazing in comparison, whiter for sure but also lets you see the area on either side of the car much more clearly.

I've ordered LED's for the rear internal, I thought it was 31mm but it's 28mm. It does measure 31mm but the real part of the bulb, not the spikes which sit though the contact holes, is only 28mm.

Removing the roof centre console is not fun but once I'd worked out what was going on was easy enough. For anyone trying to remove this the trick I found was to ensure once you'd started the process of levering from the roof lining to get a plastic trim tool behind and onto the main body of the console. It them snapped out with little drama.

I'd love to change the wing mirror turn repeater lights to a LED sequential version and also the puddle lights. The non OEM repeater lights apart from being brighter can more importantly be seen from a much wider angle of view. So far I'm struggling to find ones that include the holes for the puddle lights and those I have found are of stock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

@Nick72,

I can confirm that the 'piddle' lights come on if you have the key with you, they are so weak.

I've changed the halogen bulb in the boot for a LED, big difference I can now see across the boot. I've also changed the vanity light bulbs, The internal door operated bulbs and the reversing lights.  The later is amazing in comparison, whiter for sure but also lets you see the area on either side of the car much more clearly.

I've ordered LED's for the rear internal, I thought it was 31mm but it's 28mm. It does measure 31mm but the real part of the bulb, not the spikes which sit though the contact holes, is only 28mm.

Removing the roof centre console is not fun but once I'd worked out what was going on was easy enough. For anyone trying to remove this the trick I found was to ensure once you'd started the process of levering from the roof lining to get a plastic trim tool behind and onto the main body of the console. It them snapped out with little drama.

I'd love to change the wing mirror turn repeater lights to a LED sequential version and also the puddle lights. The non OEM repeater lights apart from being brighter can more importantly be seen from a much wider angle of view. So far I'm struggling to find ones that include the holes for the puddle lights and those I have found are of stock.

Think I need to look at this. Particularly the reversing lights. Not too fussed about the cabin lights. They're ok enough.

On the boot front I bought a bright 6mth lasting rechargeable LED panel light with PIR sensor. Think it was about 15 quid. I put velcro hook tape on the back of it and stuck it to the back seat. Very bright white light and no faffing looking for a switch in the dark to turn on the boot light. As soon as I open the boot it detects thermal motion and stays on for 20s unless it picks up further motion when it adds another 20s. Works great and gives me a removable torch as it also has a permant on mode.

Puddle lights, I can't see any light at all unless they are either, amazingly weak and drowned out by street lighting, not working, the dealer hasn't enabled the option in the manual.

How big is the boot light?  It's the one place I'd have a brighter led.

There's some good vids on youtube on removing the internal light fittings, which end to prise first and that.  Worth buying a cheap set of plastic trim tools, to avoid damage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Think I need to look at this. Particularly the reversing lights. Not too fussed about the cabin lights. They're ok enough.

On the boot front I bought a bright 6mth lasting rechargeable LED panel light with PIR sensor. Think it was about 15 quid. I put velcro hook tape on the back of it and stuck it to the back seat. Very bright white light and no faffing looking for a switch in the dark to turn on the boot light. As soon as I open the boot it detects thermal motion and stays on for 20s unless it picks up further motion when it adds another 20s. Works great and gives me a removable torch as it also has a permant on mode.

Puddle lights, I can't see any light at all unless they are either, amazingly weak and drowned out by street lighting, not working, the dealer hasn't enabled the option in the manual.

The boot light sounds goodI might invest in one of those.

The reversing bulb change is an easy one.  On the boot lid are two square panels these can be released and inside is a white/grey holder with the cables in a small clip. A turn of the holder and the cable extended out of the clip and the old push in bulb is ready to be changed. Interestingly one of mine just fell out never connected. This is what I used, it's W16W LED. No flicker or errors as far as I can see.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CMYK2D9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

...no faffing looking for a switch in the dark to turn on the boot light...

If you leave the bo0ok light switch on all the time, it only comes on when the boot is open.  For some reason Toyota think you might want to stop that from happening.

If you're worried it might stay on and flatten the Battery, just try it with the load cover open and check it goes out when the boot is shut.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

How big is the boot light?  It's the one place I'd have a brighter led.

There's some good vids on youtube on removing the internal light fittings, which end to prise first and that.  Worth buying a cheap set of plastic trim tools, to avoid damage.

That's what I bought a set of plastic trim tools, brilliant and really helps.  The boot light is easy enough and is a W5W LED push fit.  Small indent on lens to release and the cover then you need to take off the grey plastic cover. two small push clips just be careful as this cam dislodge the rocker switch but if that happens its a simple push back into place. Test before refitting if it does not work then the rocker switch is the wrong way around, reverse, let there be light. These are the LED's I used no problems so far. Mind you there are bucket loads of these from all sorts of places.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CMYK2D9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

The reversing bulb change is an easy one.  On the boot lid are two square panels these can be released and inside is a white/grey holder with the cables in a small clip. A turn of the holder and the cable extended out of the clip and the old push in bulb is ready to be changed. Interestingly one of mine just fell out never connected. This is what I used, it's W16W LED. No flicker or errors as far as I can see.

Awesome. Ordering.

Here's the PIR light. I just stuck velcro hot tape on the back. Slapped it on the back seat. Very bright.

Missun Motion Sensor Light... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08V1KZDFN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

If you leave the bo0ok light switch on all the time, it only comes on when the boot is open.  For some reason Toyota think you might want to stop that from happening.

If you're worried it might stay on and flatten the battery, just try it with the load cover open and check it goes out when the boot is shut.

Thanks, which is the book light switch? You mean the switch on the light itself? Just leave it on? And it will just come on when the boot is open?

Just now, Nick72 said:

Thanks, which is the book light switch? You mean the switch on the light itself? Just leave it on? And it will just come on when the boot is open?

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

If you leave the bo0ok light switch on all the time...

Sorry, finger trouble.  I meant boot light - yes, just leave it on and it comes on whenever the boot is open.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, ernieb said:

Hi Ernie, ordered Saturday evening and arrived this morning (in the Highlands!!).

Fitted easily (as you describe) no errors and very bright - well pleased.

Just a point for the unwary (or dumb like me 😂) if you order 2 you get 4!!!!!!!! So unless you want 4 just order 1.😀

The efficiency of Am@zon never fails to amaze.

• Like 1

I will need to upgrade my interior lighting when it arrives however PIR no good for me, will be on whenever the dog is in the car. Would rather invest time/effort in the bulb upgrades. Does seem a strange set up for Toyota not to use LED’s. 

• Like 2

I’ve done all the internal, boot, side mirror repeaters and puddle lights, all still functioning as expected.  The puddle lights are amazing and really worth considering especially if you change the side mirror repeaters as the access is open when the old ones are removed, it’s a fiddle but worth while.  I’m looking at the turn signal lights, it looks like you can do the front or back without a ballast resistor but if you do front and rear, which makes sense, you need a 50 ohm ballast.  Maybe a warmer weather job.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links