Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I sought advice from this forum last week & was reassured that I had bought the right battery for the Aygo after all.

jahel

After finding no ratchet & socket set I decided to bite the bullet & phone the mobile garage given by the Toyota dealership that gave me the number of a garage that come to car. This I did the other day. Well, they told me they were too busy & to look in the phone book for a mobile mechanic. There was just 1. I phoned & he said he would come out, I waited all day, then he didn't show, but a different man phoned, it was a very bad line - or dropping my phone caused problems with it, so I had to text directions - again. He eventually came round at 6.15 pm, exchanged Battery that I bought, engine worked, he connected a computer thingy, said all good, I gave him cheque for £40.

Whenever I'm stressed I go into some weird naive fugue state! ☹️ also my back goes & I get very forgetful, (PTSD), so I put off checking the car until the next evening. I should have made the effort to get down the stairs & check the car, but I kept forgetting - until around 6pm. He had left the ignition on & Aygo is now totally dead! I don't know what to do now. So far it has cost me £100 - not including corner shop prices & bus fares over the past month. I cannot work & have almost no income. I am tempted to have car towed away as the stress is likely to finish off my dead endocrine system & it's complications. The only alternative is to cut my losses & perhaps walk to the Toyota dealership & ask them to sell me a Battery charger? would that work with an extension lead, as I forgot to move the car into garage/carport? TIA xx

2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

ebay/argos for a battery charger 

Thanks for reply, but I don't live in UK, so no argos here! Also It looks like a charger would not help a completely drained Battery?

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Several battery chargers at Halfords, if you're a site supporter you'll get 15% off.

Thanks, but we don't have Halfords here. The mobile mechanic that killed the Battery works for "Lucas" when I asked him. These mechanics are probably moonlighting, & they are not in phone book. I guess I may have to cut my losses & save up for a garage to come & jump start me, had a lot of expenses this month & need to walk to shop so will pop in to Toyota where I bought battery& ask their advice. I doubt if a charger would revive a Battery that has been left drained for 24 hours?...

Leaving the ignition on for a few hours shouldn’t do anything to a good Battery.  It certainly shouldn’t be dead and if it is, take it back to where you got it.

Janet, that is really bad luck.  A Battery charger might be a good investment however one that might recovery you dead Battery would cost perhaps the same or more than a new Battery!

A jump start seems the best option at the moment but have you tried to contact the 'expert' that didn't switch the ignition off?  If he is a decent sort he should give you that jump start for free.

Can you ask around to see if a neighbour has jump leads?

finally your garage might be sympathetic and not charge too much.

23 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Leaving the ignition on for a few hours shouldn’t do anything to a good battery.  It certainly shouldn’t be dead and if it is, take it back to where you got it.

Thank you Stivino. I am now more confused than ever though. I cannot take it back, it almost killed me carrying it home, There is no guarantee with the Battery + I do no have a ratchet & socket extender. It looks like I will have to have to dump the car after all...

3 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Janet, that is really bad luck.  A battery charger might be a good investment however one that might recovery you dead battery would cost perhaps the same or more than a new battery!

A jump start seems the best option at the moment but have you tried to contact the 'expert' that didn't switch the ignition off?  If he is a decent sort he should give you that jump start for free.

Can you ask around to see if a neighbour has jump leads?

finally your garage might be sympathetic and not charge too much.

I am just about to phone the 'expert' that undid my nut, (pun intended) - to demand a free jump start, though the cynic in me tells me to be on my guard as I have had almost no sleep for a long time, & am in much pain, but I won't stress. Neighbours are  *~#*. I do not have a garage. The Toyota dealer ripped me off in many ways when I bought the car new from them ( over charged me), & did not take my car which is stuck still in my back garden & undrivable now -in part exchange, & the garage would not fix the faults even though it was supposed to be free with 5 year warranty, so I had to use indy garages, but mobile mechanics are few & far between here & I have yet to meet one that I trust,  which is why I am broke & have PTSD & garage phobia 😵

Hi Janet, which country do you live in?   (sorry if it’s been asked before).

I don't think I've heard of anyone dumping a car just because the Battery is flat. Just buy a cheap charger, charge it up and all will be good. I've charged my car from flat several times through not being used much during lockdown without problems.

surley you can order stuff online there, a basic Battery charger isnt too expensive , or maybe find a used one 

or do you have local facebook groups..maybe someone will jumpstart the car , if you do get it jump started take it for a long ride 30+ mins to put some charge into it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

surley you can order stuff online there, a basic battery charger isnt too expensive , or maybe find a used one 

+1

Just Google "car Battery charger near to me"

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Janet, which country do you live in?   (sorry if it’s been asked before).

Hi joe, I live in Jersey, channel islands.

surley you can order stuff online there, a basic battery charger isnt too expensive , or maybe find a used one 

or do you have local facebook groups..maybe someone will jumpstart the car , if you do get it jump started take it for a long ride 30+ mins to put some charge into it 

I will do that, yes, facebook barred me before I could get started! don't ask me why, I asked a question of the administrators , they did not reply & then I could not connect, so I decided to let it go, at least now after a month - I can see the adverts & reviews on there. Anyway texted mobile mechanic who came eventually. He could not get it started at 1st ( he used a universal jumper), so I suggested he did not have a good connection, he moved the connectors & it went well after that.

I took it to the nearby trading estate, & left it running while I loaded a couple of pallets, then I left it running for another 15 minutes back home. 

The brake system warning light is on, & the engine seems very hot. Will check the water tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

+1

Just Google "car battery charger near to me"

I will get a Battery charger- somehow, right now the brake system is warning me! nearly 10,000 miles on clock now. Breaks were 'apparently' changed 3 years ago...

I hope to take it out tomorrow or Sunday, but break warning light is on, so I don't know if I should? maybe just run engine while parked for a couple of days?

4 hours ago, Billyboy81 said:

I don't think I've heard of anyone dumping a car just because the battery is flat. Just buy a cheap charger, charge it up and all will be good. I've charged my car from flat several times through not being used much during lockdown without problems.

Thank you all, I will get a charger soon, but I may have to have a service as break warning is on, I will have to trust the new young mechanic as car has nearly 10,000 miles on clock, & I don't think it's worth getting a different car, but I cannot manage without a car, & automatics are hard to come by.

4 hours ago, jahel said:

I am just about to phone the 'expert' that undid my nut, (pun intended) - to demand a free jump start, though the cynic in me tells me to be on my guard as I have had almost no sleep for a long time, & am in much pain, but I won't stress. Neighbours are  *~#*. I do not have a garage. The Toyota dealer ripped me off in many ways when I bought the car new from them ( over charged me), & did not take my car which is stuck still in my back garden & undrivable now -in part exchange, & the garage would not fix the faults even though it was supposed to be free with 5 year warranty, so I had to use indy garages, but mobile mechanics are few & far between here & I have yet to meet one that I trust,  which is why I am broke & have PTSD & garage phobia 😵

I have just realised that the break warning light indicates that the handbrake is on! I need to get some sleep 🙄

17 hours ago, jahel said:

I have just realised that the break warning light indicates that the handbrake is on! I need to get some sleep 🙄

If it stays on after the hand-brake is fully released, it could be:

1.  The switch on the handbrake is faulty or

2. Your car is running low on brake fluid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bless you Vince! I realised I had not read the manual correctly & so forgot (very briefly) that light is only 'hand break is on'. The light and turn indicators did not come on before new Battery installed. Now warning lights & indicator & headlights are functioning & very bright. Aygo now done 10,000 miles in 11 years from new, having trouble finding Battery charger to keep car going in winter, will have a look in b & q this week?

On 9/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, jahel said:

Bless you Vince! I realised I had not read the manual correctly & so forgot (very briefly) that light is only 'hand break is on'. The light and turn indicators did not come on before new battery installed. Now warning lights & indicator & headlights are functioning & very bright. Aygo now done 10,000 miles in 11 years from new, having trouble finding battery charger to keep car going in winter, will have a look in b & q this week?

Have a look on Amazon, I bought 2 during the Pandemic (one did not arrived on time and it was already too late to cancelled), both of them works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012U5BO2/ <- Sold it to a friend, slow on charging (1.5 Amp) .  Can also be used as a maintainer (Just let it stay hooked to the main and Battery if you don't use the car for a while.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0012EDZ7I <- The one I kept. (8 Amp)