Do Not Sell My Personal Information

M20A-FXS

Bozz

Have any reliability or longevity issues been identified on the above engine so far? 

What sort of oil consumption could be expected?

So far I haven't seen any major issues in any of the Dynamic Force engines, maybe Toyota have learned from past mistakes...?? (*glares at the 1NR-FE*)

Even with the ridiculously thin oil (0w8!!!) in my one (M15A-FXE) I don't think the oil has gone down even a millimetre since I've owned it.

The hybrid-paired FXE engines should be even more reliable than the regular FKS ones as they don't have direct injection or GPFs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

The hybrid-paired FXE engines should be even more reliable than the regular FKS ones as they don't have direct injection or GPFs.

Carefull!

M20A-FXS 2.0 has both direct injection ( albeit it has both direct and indirect injection ) and a GPF

M15A-FXE Has a GPF

image.thumb.png.0c585a9fde74a3f18ab3348523c44625.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooops! Thanks for correcting that, it seems my source on that was wrong!!

I guess I'm not as aware as I thought of how strict these new emissions regs are!

They still seem to be very reliable engines so far :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I too have wondered about the longevity of these ‘dynamic force’ engines, over the well proven 1.8 2ZR-FXE, which seems to last into many hundreds of thousands of miles with little more than carbon buildup issues (and oil consumption in the USA). 

The extra tech is my main concern - high pressure injection, direct injection, GPF and extra sensors. 

They are still relatively new engines, with the highest mileage I’ve seen on here around 50k miles. Toyota know how to build a reliable engine, so there’s a good chance they have got it right! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Any update so far for the engine M20A-FKS ?

I am looking to buy a RAV4 with this engine.

Thanks in advance from Romania !

No reported oil consumption issues on these forums so far as I'm aware.

Bulletproof engine set up. In USA there are rav4 hybrids with over 200k miles without any issues or repairs except regular service. Use high quality petrol E5 preferably and service on time with original parts and fluids. The car will last you ages. You can search videos on YouTube and you will find a lots of information. 👍

• Like 1

So far they've been up to the standard you'd expect from a Toyota engine: Boringly reliable :laugh: 

The key is still regular maintenance, i.e. regular good quality oil changes

• Like 1

I’ve seen a RAV4 with the 2.5 A25 engine (same as M20, just bigger) with 340,000 miles. 

9E8B45BA-AC3C-45D1-A724-5F705B04531C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Flippin' heck, that's even more ridiculous than TonyHSD's mileages! :eek:  :laugh: 

Are they american??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Flippin' heck, that's even more ridiculous than TonyHSD's mileages! :eek:  :laugh: 

Are they american??

Yes. Most of them are on this Facebook page. It’s called “Mileage Impossible” 

• Like 2

That explains it... not uncommon in some states they have to drive half a hour to go to the local corner shop :laugh: 

I still remember the one time I went to Florida with the family... in their version of a retail park the shops were so far apart I got sick of having to walk so far just to get to the next shop and ended up driving to different parts of the car park to go to the next store!! :laugh: 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

That explains it... not uncommon in some states they have to drive half a hour to go to the local corner shop :laugh: 

I still remember the one time I went to Florida with the family... in their version of a retail park the shops were so far apart I got sick of having to walk so far just to get to the next shop and ended up driving to different parts of the car park to go to the next store!! :laugh: 

I also have experienced the huge retail parks as my daughter is currently living in the USA.  Used cars are surprisingly expensive over there and often have mega mileages on them, here own 15 year old Ford SUV has done over 220000.  On my last trip over there I saw plenty of Corolla saloons but only one Corolla hatchback.   

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, Cyker said:

Even with the ridiculously thin oil (0w8!!!) in my one (M15A-FXE) I don't think the oil has gone down even a millimetre since I've owned it.

How many miles in that time?

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Are they american??

Yeah, I am not a very high miler anymore. Last year only done 34000 miles. My record was back in 2004, 62000 miles in one year and then in 2019 50k miles on the Auris. Toyota cars proof to be one of the best choices for high miles driving. Now evs are doing also well , only trouble there is the reduction of the Battery capacity and range with the time and miles plus expensive replacement if necessary outside the warranty. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, APS said:

How many miles in that time?

I average about 14k miles a year

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Yeah, I am not a very high miler anymore. Last year only done 34000 miles. My record was back in 2004, 62000 miles in one year and then in 2019 50k miles on the Auris. Toyota cars proof to be one of the best choices for high miles driving. Now evs are doing also well , only trouble there is the reduction of the battery capacity and range with the time and miles plus expensive replacement if necessary outside the warranty. 👍

*Only* 34k he says! :laugh: 

I think you're a shoo-in for the high-mileage hero of the forum!! :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Talking of high mileage, I used to do 100 miles a day commuting (5 days a week) plus weekend working (200+miles) then personal miles (fuel card with unlimited use). I did 52,000 miles in one year in a new 2009 Focus diesel which was a company car. Was servicing it all the time at the nearest Ford dealer. The leasing company must have hated me. I did 21,000 miles in 6 months in a Vauxhall Combo van, the bloke from the hire company couldn’t believe it when he picked it up 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1