Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Data storage and confidentiality

TonyFR

@TonyFR, I think Philip is correct in that you will loose most if not  all the apps functions. If I remember correctly you need to agree the privacy to start to use the app? It would be interesting to see what remains if you do opt out?

Philip is indeed correct. I declined the T&C in the My Toyota account and promptly lost pretty much all functionality in the app. So I reversed that and will now attempt a dialogue with Toyota. I do not have high expectations....

Question: is Toyota unique in collecting this kind of data (journeys etc), or do the other manufacturers do much the same?

11 minutes ago, TonyFR said:

Philip is indeed correct. I declined the T&C in the My Toyota account and promptly lost pretty much all functionality in the app. So I reversed that and will now attempt a dialogue with Toyota. I do not have high expectations....

Question: is Toyota unique in collecting this kind of data (journeys etc), or do the other manufacturers do much the same?

I rather suspect that pretty much all manufacturers are or will be doing much the same thing. They are not "collecting data" as such but providing online / connected services that they believe drivers want.

Toyota really don't care at all about TonyFR's journeys, and I'm confident that our personal information etc. is adequately protected under the appropriate legislation. I could imagine Toyota being interested in the modal length of journey's etc. - as part of design consideration for EVs for example - but not in a specific individual's journey profile.

Personally, I don't see any harm in it - you, obviously, take a different view ...

From my reading of the regulations Toyota must mask the personal in accordance with the GDPR if they  want to use it for any other purpose than presenting it to the account holder. Failure on Toyota’s part to fully comply would be pretty serious breach and a PR nightmare. I’d also think that the account holders identity would not be easily accessible or linkable to the data by any Toyota employees the account holder would have been allocated a random token identity. I’m happy to have signed up as I enjoy and feel I can benefit by accessing the data. 
It is, however, often difficult to keep track of all the various T&C’s we all get asked to accept. 
I remember in the 80’s I think it was that a well known software company embedded a monetary prise to the end of it’s T&C’s which was never claimed, just no one had read then.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links