Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HI from France

Stopeter44

Hi,

I'd pretty much given up on forums. I used to hang out on audio forums (pfm, if that means something to someone), so you may be able to guess my age. 

I had a Supra in the late 80s, that's a better clue. I don't have the Yaris yet, it's a 2021 model on order. The model designations in France are not the same as they are in the UK, and the availability of options is different too.

The model I ordered is designated "Design" in France, it's a step up from the entry model, and it will have the hybrid powertrain. I tested a Yaris Cross, too, thinking that it was the SUV/Crossover that we (my wife & I) would order, but we both felt that we likely to get car sick in one, especially on bumpy roads! We were really taken with the Yaris IV. All previous iterations of the Yaris I had driven, I really hated. Essentially because of the very light road feedback.

I looked over toyota.fr, toyota.de, toyota.be and toyota.co.uk. Clearly the marketing strategy is different between these countries, the UK having more choice of options between models.

We tested the French market "Collection" spec, with all the options, and I loved the HUD, I liked the seats, I don't want the 17" wheels, and I really don't want the black roofline, nor particularly the black roof. On the other hand, our current Peugeot 208 has a panoramic roof, which I absolutely loved in Paris, but down here in the South of France, is much less of an advantage, and even a liability in the sunny months (say, beginning of March to the end of September).

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling for now, and I will surely be asking more pointed questions in the Yaris forum.

Cheers P.

• Like 1

Good morning Peter, and welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

From accounts from 2021 Yaris hybrid owners on here they really loving their cars, much better then previous Yaris hybrid models. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

From accounts from 2021 Yaris hybrid owners on here they really loving their cars, much better then previous Yaris hybrid models. 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the welcome ! 

I had been looking at a new car for about 6 months, the 208 with the EAT6 is a great car, and much better than the CLIO 3 that preceded it, but I had this nagging inkling that keeping a 100% thermic car, when there's a "revolution" (towards electric) coming, didn't seem like a great idea. After 67k km (c. 42k miles), I had replaced front brakes, Battery and, more surprisingly shock absorbers, though "Oh ****, it's falling apart".

Well, it seems that where we live, some 80km NE of Aix en Provence, is hilly, mountainous even, and and we have about 500 metres of not so great road leading to our house, is very hard on cars. People around here say that 75k km for shocks and brakes is not unusual. I used to live near Paris, and the there wasn't much in twisty roads, nor steep hills nearby.

The Toyota dealer around here says that he has hybrid taxis with 200k+ km on them that haven't had brake changes. The regen' braking helps enormously to keep down wear and tear. I am thinking, given that the village has a lot of up and down, I should be able to run quite a lot in EV mode.

Cheers P.

Welcome Peter, I also test drove the Yaris Cross and liked it, I think it looks quite chunky, but settled for the C-HR.

Did you have to mention the weather in the south of France.🙄

There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here so you are in good hands.

28 minutes ago, c90 said:

Did you have to mention the weather in the south of France.🙄

There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here so you are in good hands.

Thanks for the welcome !

It's not all sun, pastis & pétanque, you know! It can be very rainy with devastating results, like St. Martin Vesuvie last year, or Arles, too often. It also snows where we are. Not that much, but enough that winter tyres are mandatory from Nov 1 until end of March. It is, however, pretty dry most of the time, and, of course, there's a lot of light even in winter. We're lucky where we are, we are on a hill and so the winter shadows don't affect us that much.

I looked hard at the C-HR, but felt that it was too big, for the interior space on hand. When I was looking the promotional price from Toyota France was very "interesting" as they say here. At that point I really wanted a panoramic roof, and it's not an option on the C-HR. The Cross looked like the sweet spot. Ultimately, there's only the two of us, and I think I'm just not an SUV type of guy.

With the Cross, I couldn't help wondering what was beyond the vast expanse of "bonnet" (Excuse me, I forget what the correct words are in English English sometimes), while the Yaris HB didn't give me that feeling.

P.

7 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

Thanks for the welcome !

It's not all sun, pastis & pétanque, you know! It can be very rainy with devastating results, like St. Martin Vesuvie last year, or Arles, too often. It also snows where we are. Not that much, but enough that winter tyres are mandatory from Nov 1 until end of March. It is, however, pretty dry most of the time, and, of course, there's a lot of light even in winter. We're lucky where we are, we are on a hill and so the winter shadows don't affect us that much.

I looked hard at the C-HR, but felt that it was too big, for the interior space on hand. When I was looking the promotional price from Toyota France was very "interesting" as they say here. At that point I really wanted a panoramic roof, and it's not an option on the C-HR. The Cross looked like the sweet spot. Ultimately, there's only the two of us, and I think I'm just not an SUV type of guy.

With the Cross, I couldn't help wondering what was beyond the vast expanse of "bonnet" (Excuse me, I forget what the correct words are in English English sometimes), while the Yaris HB didn't give me that feeling.

P.

I feel better already about our weather.  I settled for the C-HR because of the seat height which suits my wife who has trouble getting out of a low seat now.

Hi Peter welcome to the forum, you have made a good choice. The latest Yaris Hybrid is a vastly superior car to the mark 3 the previous model Hybrid. It also loves the warmer temperatures which enhances the miles per gallon or in case litres. I also live in hilly country and the car deals with it comfortably. On a long run recently driving mostly on two lane roads and some city driving it achieved 73.97 miles per gallon. In winter temperatures which are much colder here it will be interesting to see how it behaves. My mark 3 Hybrid in winter conditions and short runs would average 45 - 50 mpg. Let us know when your Yaris Hybrid arrives and your thoughts on the car. Good luck and enjoy the Toyota.🚘. Oh by the way we love pictures.

2 hours ago, c90 said:

I feel better already about our weather.  I settled for the C-HR because of the seat height which suits my wife who has trouble getting out of a low seat now.

Yes, my wife was recovering from a broken ankle when we tested the Yaris and the Cross, even if the Cross was higher, she still preferred the Yaris IV.

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

The latest Yaris Hybrid is a vastly superior car to the mark 3 the previous model Hybrid. It also loves the warmer temperatures which enhances the miles per gallon or in case litres. I also live in hilly country and the car deals with it comfortably. On a long run recently driving mostly on two lane roads and some city driving it achieved 73.97 miles per gallon. In winter temperatures which are much colder here it will be interesting to see how it behaves. My mark 3 Hybrid in winter conditions and short runs would average 45 - 50 mpg. Let us know when your Yaris Hybrid arrives and your thoughts on the car. Good luck and enjoy the Toyota.🚘. Oh by the way we love pictures.

Where is here ? Your name strikes me as Canadian, maybe ? Interesting to hear about the jump between the III and the IV.

Here is the Northwest corner of Ireland in the ruggedly beautiful county of Donegal. And my surname is actually of French origin. One of Napoleons most successful and needless to say most ruthless generals was a General Foy 🤔

Back to more recent happenings: Yes a huge difference between the 3 & 4. They are two completely different cars in all aspects.

59 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

And my surname is actually of French origin. One of Napoleons most successful and needless to say most ruthless generals was a General Foy 🤔

Back to more recent happenings: Yes a huge difference between the 3 & 4. They are two completely different cars in all aspects.

Ok, I was fooled by the Other/non-Uk location, although I picked up the "Foy" bit. That's why I was thinking Quebec.

Peter have you taken possession of your new C-HR yet or is it on order??.

Sorry I have gotten mixed up between Pete and Peter 🤭 not intentional.

32 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Peter have you taken possession of your new C-HR yet or is it on order??.

It’s a Yaris for me. On order.

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

It’s a Yaris for me. On order.

Yes I realized that, when is delivery due ??

Maybe December. If not, January. I could have had an MY20 sooner, but those parking sensors are not on the MY20s in France, it seems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links