Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Increasing power/performance?

Harry18

Looking to purchase a 2018 face lift aygo vvt-i.  

before i buy this beauty of a car, i would really like to know how you can increase their performance? I'm not looking to do an engine rebuild or anything crazy (As i don't have a garage) but I've heard about adjusting cam angles/timing for more vvt boost and installing a stand-alone ecu or piggyback for more fuel i guess? 

Is it worth installing bigger fuel pump and injectors? 

hope to hear from someone soon, thanks!

Absolutely no point, an exhaust, intake and remap your into £1000 for 15 ish bhp, tbh decent tires and sorting the suspension will have a bigger impact

A turbo or supercharger once you build the engine you into £4000 upwards, a piggyback or standalone you're looking at £900 to £2K on its own (parts only)

your better off, putting money into a different car like a 1.3 or 1.5 yaris

• Like 3

I'm not sure if they still do it but Fensport did racing cams and a blitz supercharger kit for the Aygo - The whole thing cost nearly as much as the car did new tho' :laugh: 

Weirdly there still seem to be quite a lot of mods for the Aygo floating around but it all gets quite expensive...!

The Aygo is definitely more a momentum car than a power car and I find most people go for things that improve its cornering, e.g. making it lighter, improving suspension etc.. Probably the most effective single mod is just getting some good tyres! (Edit: In fact just as flash22 says :laugh: )

buy a faster car if its not good enough....modified insurance wont be cheap either

• Like 2

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

AFAIK that is only suitable for the pre EU6.2 versions of the 1KR engine, not the latest dual VVT-i versions.

Hey Harry! 

Is this your first car? Or am I way off in that assumption? There are obviously some modifications which people have posted in the forum so far!

If you really love the car, and you're doing it for you, go for it! I love to see unusual builds which people have really put some passion into! However, if it is your first car I'd honestly just recommended learning how to use your full rev range, and using it properly. I used to have a 1.3 2003 yaris, and learning about rev matching, heal-toeing and the cars power curve was absolutely invaluable! It's obviously nowhere near as fancy as forced induction and an upgraded fuel system but it will allow you to really use all of the power which the car has!

Another suggestion is weight reduction, it goes a hell of a long way to making a car faster!

Never been a lot of performance mods for them, also seen ecu maps for Mk1, as said handling and tyres go along way to improving the drive, and useable power rather than top-end. I just accepted ours for what it is, but saying that they still a fun drive and I still modded ours but in a different way.

If you want an inexpensive, cheap to buy and insure car, get an Audi A2 TDi, all Alloy, 75 BHP, have it re-mapped to  115BHP for not many £'s I love my Aygo, though...

Smalll diesel's are dead, short trips and DPF's do not mix - A2 tdi is 2000-05 op is looking at something around 3 years old

TDI VAG cars are next to worthless anyway due to dieselgate

Yeah, wouldn't touch a diesel past about Euro4 as they all have DPFs after that, and that is the single biggest thing that makes modern diesels unreliable. Sucks that all modern petrol cars have them too now, but at least it's only really an issue for direct injection engines as port injection normally burns quite cleanly.

I do miss my Mk1 D4D tho', was only slightly bigger than an Aygo but was much better built and having a high-revving (for a diesel) torquey diesel engine in a car that weighted nothing was a real hoot! :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 1

OP is looking to boost the perforfmance of an Aygo, not 3 year old car. Just saying, a A2 diesel would be an alternative choice for less money...

Sorry to jump in, Any recommendations for improving the handling  on the Aygo please.

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

16 hours ago, garry_Nutter said:

Sorry to jump in, Any recommendations for improving the handling  on the Aygo please.

Wider more performance orientated tyres

Lowered suspension, possibly coilovers

Front strut brace

17 hours ago, TotallyToto said:

OP is looking to boost the perforfmance of an Aygo, not 3 year old car. Just saying, a A2 diesel would be an alternative choice for less money...

First line of the op's post

On 9/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, Harry18 said:

26 minutes ago, flash22 said:

First line of the op's post

Next few lines of op’s post

On 9/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, Harry18 said:

before i buy this beauty of a car, i would really like to know how you can increase their performance? I'm not looking to do an engine rebuild or anything crazy (As i don't have a garage) but I've heard about adjusting cam angles/timing for more vvt boost and installing a stand-alone ecu or piggyback for more fuel i guess? 

Is it worth installing bigger fuel pump and injectors? 

It's still a 3-year-old car, no small-engined NA 3 pot car is going to be built for performance, more for economy, there is no really point in putting £4k into a £7k car - you might as well put that money into a different car

you can't compare a 15-20 year old dirty diesel to a modern petrol car, with modern driver aids

Cheapest way to do something that actually it’s nothing but will make you feel like it is to get an K&N sport air filter, 0w20 oil and fill up premium 99 petrol only, the car will have slightly throaty engine sound and slightly faster response which can make some different feel when driving normally but if you pushed hard there won’t be significant difference in acceleration or gained more horsepower. 👍

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, Infiniti said:

Another suggestion is weight reduction, it goes a hell of a long way to making a car faster!

I lost 10kg post lockdown and the Aygo definitely felt faster 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, fordulike said:

I lost 10kg post lockdown and the Aygo definitely felt faster 😜

But that’s true, sometimes when I give a lift to  my slightly bigger colleague the car doesn’t want to accelerate as usually does when alone 😜, hope they don’t read this forum 🤣👍  

No point trying to increase power in an Aygo, too expensive. Anyway, floor an Aygo in 2nd or 3rd. The performance is there you just have to look for it.

Why pay out to improve the handling on an Aygo? They handle like go-karts anyway. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links