Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where do you fill up your Rav4

PAISLEY1903

2 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

I doubt there has been a lot of testing last couple of years, but happy to accept I may be imagining it, maybe some are over generous instead 😉

Agree that there has probably not been much testing going on during the Covid years. If you find a really generous station please share it with me.🥳

• Thanks 1

I have noticed when filling that some brands seem to froth up more than others and make the fuel pump cut out sooner.  If you like to calculate your fuel consumption fill to fill it is advisable to go back to the same petrol station and if possible the same pump.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

I doubt there has been a lot of testing last couple of years, but happy to accept I may be imagining it, maybe some are over generous instead 😉

There are legal limits and it should be within prescribed limits - too much can be against the law also.

Only 2 petrol stations where I live, and they run a nice little cartel between them; but I use them out of necessity. There's a Morrison's 20 miles away, which I'll use if I'm down that way; supermarkets are always my preferred option. 

Done some experimenting over the years with higher octane fuel, but never been convinced its worth the extra expense.

• Like 1

I know some people swear by the super fuel etc but I was thinking of just getting normal BP or normal Esso... but im guessing that's virtually identical to supermarket fuel and the "additives" are not much more than what I would get at Tesco / Asda..

59 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I know some people swear by the super fuel etc but I was thinking of just getting normal BP or normal Esso... but im guessing that's virtually identical to supermarket fuel and the "additives" are not much more than what I would get at Tesco / Asda..

Regular petrol is 95 RON - your car is designed to run on 95 RON fuel - you won't get any benefit from running on 97, 98 or 99 RON 'super' fuels ... but it won't do any harm either (other than to your wallet).

All fuel is refined to the same standard, and exactly the same fuel is supplied to all fuel companies. What differs the the package of additives each company adds. The additives may increase the octane rating and/or aid cleaner burning of the fuel, and a cleaner burn won't hurt at all. Paying for a premium 'super unleaded' fuel may get you a better set of additives and a cleaner running engine ... or you may be paying over the top for 'snake oil'.

The 'branded' vs 'supermarket' debate isn't anywhere near as black and white as some would have you believe. All fuels are to some extent 'branded' and all have a package of additives. We simply pay our money and take our choice ... 😉

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Regular petrol is 95 RON - your car is designed to run on 95 RON fuel - you won't get any benefit from running on 97, 98 or 99 RON 'super' fuels ... but it won't do any harm either (other than to your wallet).

All fuel is refined to the same standard, and exactly the same fuel is supplied to all fuel companies. What differs the the package of additives each company adds. The additives may increase the octane rating and/or aid cleaner burning of the fuel, and a cleaner burn won't hurt at all. Paying for a premium 'super unleaded' fuel may get you a better set of additives and a cleaner running engine ... or you may be paying over the top for 'snake oil'.

The 'branded' vs 'supermarket' debate isn't anywhere near as black and white as some would have you believe. All fuels are to some extent 'branded' and all have a package of additives. We simply pay our money and take our choice ... 😉

I would say you have hit the nail on the head Philip. What is needed is independent testing of the various fuels so that the verifiable results are available.

A long time ago in a Galaxy far away - Glasgow actually - we were having significant running issues with certain Audi's and to a lesser extent VW's. The common thread was the Bosch K-jetronic fuel system. Having shouted loudly enough Audi sent over a couple of engineers to look at the problem on the ground. Long story short, after some lab testing it was found that the pump fuel did not achieve its stated octane rating. Audi then conceded that they had been aware for some time of this deficiency in UK fuel. My retort was that if they knew that, then their cars should have been made to run on the fuel in that country. Of course in typical teutonic fashion they insisted that it was up to the customer to ensure they used the correct fuel. Totally ignoring the fact that your average car owner doesn't have a laboratory in his back garden.

Hey ho, happy days (mostly)(wearing my rose-tinted specs of course).

• Like 2

I love this one minute I am heading for Asda.... the next BP... then I get nectar points at Esso... but reality is... if im not using their TOP fuel and only the Esso / BP standard fuel...  im thinking there probably won't be much of a difference that it will be noticed.   The joys!  Part of me always had the diesel kuga in BP and then I think "why is my new rav4 petrol going to Asda"  however apart from a £25 Amazon voucher on my BP points which probably cost me £200 in extra fuel costs I doubt there would be much benefit.  I AM planning to keep my rav4 for many years but with proper maintenance and looking after it im not sure the asda fuel will do much harm.  I never used to procrastinate this bad. I dont know what's happened to me lately 

2 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I love this one minute I am heading for Asda.... the next BP... then I get nectar points at Esso... but reality is... if im not using their TOP fuel and only the Esso / BP standard fuel...  im thinking there probably won't be much of a difference that it will be noticed.   The joys!  Part of me always had the diesel kuga in BP and then I think "why is my new rav4 petrol going to Asda"  however apart from a £25 amazon voucher on my BP points which probably cost me £200 in extra fuel costs I doubt there would be much benefit.  I AM planning to keep my rav4 for many years but with proper maintenance and looking after it im not sure the asda fuel will do much harm.  I never used to procrastinate this bad. I dont know what's happened to me lately 

Your location reminds me of the Rockfield Petrol Station in Renfrew Rd. Paisley. It is also a Tesco so I suppose multiple opportunities for bonus.

That is the site of the former Rockfield hotel where we enjoyed our wedding reception 47 years ago today 😀👍

• Like 1

Thanks Ernie, some have said I lack imagination...............😂😂😂

13 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Your location reminds me of the Rockfield Petrol Station in Renfrew Rd. Paisley. It is also a Tesco so I suppose multiple opportunities for bonus.

& a KFC 😛

My family used to frequent the Brabloch (Tappity Hen) or the Glynhill more than the Rockfield.

Congrats on the anniversary.

17 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

That is the site of the former Rockfield hotel where we enjoyed our wedding reception 47 years ago today 😀👍

Not far away!  I am just touching on Elderslie so have ASDA nearest (500 yards), to the right BP (750) then ESSO (750 on) and to the left of ASDA about 1 mile  Tesco!    I was actually on renfrew road today and I didn't know that about the hotel !!!  

My problem is I have too many choices!!!  ASDA only a year ago built a big new petrol station and have never once used it, Tesco one is a bit of a pain to get in and out of.   The Esso offer is a bit of a con...  300 nectar points = 5p off a litre up to 60 litres...  but with any car you aint filling 60 litres up and for example im off to Manchester next week and I currently have half a tank... so to fill that up... will cost me 300 points which is £2.50 to save 5p a litre.... which on half a tank isn't going to save me anything!  I think I will stick to Asda for me and BP for the wifes Diesel (5 years passed her test and still gets me to fill her car up.....)

On 9/18/2021 at 10:42 PM, Lawnmowerman said:

I use Esso, BP or Shell - I think their formulations are worth the premium. Having said that, I view my car purchases as keepers - if you follow the modern trend and lease for 2 or 3 years then perhaps it doesn't matter so much. Trouble is, every time I think I have a keeper I change it within 2 or 3 years - duh (circumstances dear boy - OK I like young cars). I was quite happy to keep my current RAV until the price drop on the PHEV happened - I am easily swayed it seems.

However, in the main I use Esso. I have a fuel card from Fuelpecker (anyone can get one) and it is used like a charge card. You are debited 2 or 3 days later. The real bonus being that you save 3p per litre on Esso fuel stations prices for their standard unleaded fuel  and more for Supreme. After all every little helps - oops I don't use theirs.

These are the discounts that apply...........

esso.png
Discount at Esso sites
Discount Fuel type
3p Synergy unleaded
4p Synergy diesel
5p Synergy supreme + unleaded
6p Synergy supreme + diesel
shell.png
Discount at all Shell sites
Discount Fuel type
1p FuelSave Unleaded
1p FuelSave Diesel
1p V-Power Unleaded
1p V-Power Diesel

once that card goes live again Esso is the option! BP I have never had a problem and I suppose 5p a litre more isn't much... do you just take the normal BP fuel or mix it with Ultimate every now and again out of interest..  Im still not sure standard BP is worth 5p a litre more than Asda though!

There are two Tesco petrol stations that are convenient for me and apart from their prices one of the things I like (more so in these Covid times) is their pay at pump facility.  It works well and I use my Clubcard at the pump too (contactless - I just press my wallet against the screen and it pick up the card).

I'm only aware of two other local-ish places that do pay at pump (both Asda) but they are further away and less convenient.

59 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

once that card goes live again Esso is the option! BP I have never had a problem and I suppose 5p a litre more isn't much... do you just take the normal BP fuel or mix it with Ultimate every now and again out of interest..  Im still not sure standard BP is worth 5p a litre more than Asda though!

Stopped using BP when I got the Fuelpecker card. Only would consider alternatives if I'm away from home and don't wish to deviate to get to an Esso station. In those circumstances just purchase enough to get home.

Never used the premium grades other than (ironically) Tesco Momentum for my wife's Audi TT. Thought it was a good enough upgrade over their standard fuel without going premium Esso, Shell or BP. Always had a great distrust of Shell since they wrecked a great many Vauxhall engines in the 1980's with their Formula Shell.

• Like 1

Spot Eilean Donan Castle in the background..............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

...Always had a great distrust of Shell since they wrecked a great many Vauxhall engines in the 1980's with their Formula Shell.

Me too.  Not just Vauxhall either; IIRC it affected lots of VWs and Volvos, but also a few other makes.

I've not (knowingly) bought a drop of Shell petrol since either, not so much because they made a mistake, but because I remember the press attention in the UK that Shell UK refused to compensate affected drivers even though they had wads of receipts showing they'd almost exclusively used the stuff.  I also recall a Watchdog programme where they challenged someone from Shell UK about this and asked why Shell in other countries did reimburse motorist while Shell UK did not.

• 2 weeks later...

@Lawnmowerman I think you should send me your esso card now that you have went electric 😉

2 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

@Lawnmowerman I think you should send me your esso card now that you have went electric 😉

Plug-in Hybrid dear boy - do keep up 007. It does have a rather large 4 cyl. engine that needs fed 😂.

In saying that, I filled her up at the Rockfield Esso station on Renfrew road on Friday after coming down from north of Inverness. Took a smidgeon over 15.8 litres to fill. Not bad for 185 miles of driving - and maxed out at 129😀 mph according to the analytics - who knew? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Lawnmowerman said:

Plug-in Hybrid dear boy - do keep up 007. It does have a rather large 4 cyl. engine that needs fed 😂.

In saying that, I filled her up at the Rockfield Esso station on Renfrew road on Friday after coming down from north of Inverness. Took a smidgeon over 15.8 litres to fill. Not bad for 185 miles of driving - and maxed out at 128 mph according to the analytics - who knew? 🤣🤣🤣

I actually seen 007 today - great movie!!!

1 minute ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I actually seen 007 today - great movie!!!

Just finished watching Live and Let Die - Roger Moore is hilarious (as is Sheriff JW Pepper) 😀

Re the perennial debate about the effigacy of preimium brand name fuels vis-a-vis cheapo supermarket fuel.

I ran a 1998 TDI for 253,000 miles over some 13 years. I mostly bought cheaper or supermarket diesel. I serviced the car myself at VW's specified intervals. At 253,000 miles she was still on all original everything except starter motors, i.e. clutch, exhaust, radiator, head gasket etc etc BUT more crucially still on the  factory IP and injectors. I cut the old fuel filter open a few times to check. It was perfectly clean, or no visible crud at least. I also ran the tank near dry multiple times, quite deliberately, to maximize the fill in Donegal. She also started in the -15C temps of the winter of 2010,with about 225,00 on the clock and on a moderately tired Battery too. Now she did gargle and spluter a bit until she fired up, but then away she went. The car was also remarkedly economical throught her life.

Which is to say I found absolutely no drawback to cheaper supermarket fuels.

I also used Case No1(I believe I recall) engine oil, for tractors like, for quite a while, for some reason that seemed to wind the VW fanboys up. But it was to the correct VW spec.

mth

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Marcusthehat said:

Which is to say I found absolutely no drawback to cheaper supermarket fuels.

A man after my own heart.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 6:36 AM, ernieb said:

The manual says it's designed to run on E10 so I guess that's how it was tested?  As @philip42h  says above it's not an engine designed for performance but for economy and in particular to charge the battery and run the motors which it seems to do running at about 2500rpm and 40% efficiency.  

I've used the local Sainsbury's fuel for years whether it was diesel or petrol and never had any issues and the economy has been more than acceptable.  

Running on E10 at present from anywhere I can get it.

Not sure if I can put E5, or whatever it is, in there and mix it up a bit. Does it sense the fuel type and do something different? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links