Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where do you fill up your Rav4

PAISLEY1903

7 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Running on E10 at present from anywhere I can get it.

Not sure if I can put E5, or whatever it is, in there and mix it up a bit. Does it sense the fuel type and do something different? 

You can run on E5 but the engine is designed to run on either E5 or E10.. The E10 is 'greener', if you can get either fuel then no problems, I think that now there has been a move to E10, E5 is reserved for the premium fuels.

• Thanks 1

E10 is regular unleaded - 95 RON. E5 is super unleaded - 97, 98 or 99 RON depending on the brand - and comes at a premium price that is 'wasted' on the RAV. I only use E5 for my garden tools ... 😉

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, philip42h said:

E10 is regular unleaded - 95 RON. E5 is super unleaded - 97, 98 or 99 RON depending on the brand - and comes at a premium price that is 'wasted' on the RAV. I only use E5 for my garden tools ... 😉

Ahh, let me help you there. It is recommended to avoid leaving fuel in the equipment beyond 30 days.The only certain way to achieve this is to run the engine until it stops - that is the only way to guarantee no fuel in the carburettor. The ethanol in E5 fuel is still corrosive and I have seen many examples of wrecked carburettors on machines less than a year old.

Pump fuel starts to deteriorate after six or seven weeks and there are stabilisers available to add to it to prolong its usefulness up to six months. However, crucially it does not prevent the corrosion. We sell two types of fuel (alkylate) (patented formula by Stih)l that can remain useable up to five years. These are straight fuel for four stroke and also two-stroke fuel with fully synthetic oil already added. Additionally no need to dispose of stale fuel which (at least in Scotland) is illegal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Ahh, let me help you there. It is recommended to avoid leaving fuel in the equipment beyond 30 days.The only certain way to achieve this is to run the engine until it stops - that is the only way to guarantee no fuel in the carburettor. The ethanol in E5 fuel is still corrosive and I have seen many examples of wrecked carburettors on machines less than a year old.

Pump fuel starts to deteriorate after six or seven weeks and there are stabilisers available to add to it to prolong its usefulness up to six months. However, crucially it does not prevent the corrosion. We sell two types of fuel (alkylate) (patented formula by Stih)l that can remain useable up to five years. These are straight fuel for four stroke and also two-stroke fuel with fully synthetic oil already added. Additionally no need to dispose of stale fuel which (at least in Scotland) is illegal.

450 mile round trip coming up in a week. Going to burn it all!

32 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

450 miles? In a lawnmower?

You're tough 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

The ethanol in E5 fuel is still corrosive

I was mostly attempting to be whimsical ... 🙂

Yes fuel goes stale etc. - irrespective of whether it contains ethanol. The tools I have ought to be able to cope with up to 5% ethanol since it was bought when E5 was already a thing. But I've no idea [yet] whether they will cope with up to 10% ethanol and probably need to take to time to find out - meanwhile I'll stick to E5.

Amusingly, depending upon where you buy the stuff, E5 may contain no ethanol at all - up to 5% includes 0%. But I think E10 pretty much always contains 10% ethanol ...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Just make sure you've enough to get you to a fuel station with stock when you get home????

Whilst I do tend to fire the ICE from time to time I'm not really that bothered as the engine management system is programmed to fire of its own accord if it's not been used for awhile.  I'd also think the with the colder weather coming I'm more likely to be using the ICE than i am currently.

Good luck with the trip it will be interesting to see what numbers you get overall most of my trips have been limited to around 120 miles so still a significant EV percentage.

• Like 1

I'd have thought the vast majority of drivers, even in hybrids, will be getting through enough fuel to minimise any risk.  I fill up when the tank is 3/4 empty so I imagine the % of fuel that is stale or corrosive would be very small.

I think the consequences of completely draining the fuel system and the engine stopping from fuel starvation would be a lot worse.

• Like 1

Over the years, I've seen various debates about additives in fuel as claimed by different brands, but (and correct me if I'm wrong here) I understood that petrol and diesel fuels being "Bonded" items falling under HMRC's tax regulations, they are not allowed by law to be 'adulterated', ie. added to or subtracted from the basic fuel from the refinery. If that is correct, then how do different brands 'dilute' basic fuel with their alleged additives (unless of course they actually own the respective refineries) and blend it before leaving their refinery. I've no idea who owns any of the UK refineries, but if they are owned by respective fuel brands, then that might explain this, otherwise how could it be legal to add anything to a fuel after it left the refinery?

Personally, having had both diesel and petrol cars (and an LPG powered one) over 58 years, I've never found any difference between branded fuels other than price, so have usually gone for the cheapest fill-up as I see no reason why I should contribute towards fuel companies advertising revenue.

Keith.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

Just make sure you've enough to get you to a fuel station with stock when you get home????

Whilst I do tend to fire the ICE from time to time I'm not really that bothered as the engine management system is programmed to fire of its own accord if it's not been used for awhile.  I'd also think the with the colder weather coming I'm more likely to be using the ICE than i am currently.

Good luck with the trip it will be interesting to see what numbers you get overall most of my trips have been limited to around 120 miles so still a significant EV percentage.

Thanks Ernie. I'll post the stats from the trip.

Car is saying I got 543 miles of range now. I'll also use EV mode off a full charge on th he way out too. Should get there and back no bother with enough juice to last me a further week (only a few local trips and that will be EV).

Garage was quiet when I filled up at 9am today. Only one other car. 8 fuel pump islands. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Goinker said:

Over the years, I've seen various debates about additives in fuel as claimed by different brands, but (and correct me if I'm wrong here) I understood that petrol and diesel fuels being "Bonded" items falling under HMRC's tax regulations, they are not allowed by law to be 'adulterated', ie. added to or subtracted from the basic fuel from the refinery. If that is correct, then how do different brands 'dilute' basic fuel with their alleged additives (unless of course they actually own the respective refineries) and blend it before leaving their refinery. I've no idea who owns any of the UK refineries, but if they are owned by respective fuel brands, then that might explain this, otherwise how could it be legal to add anything to a fuel after it left the refinery?

Personally, having had both diesel and petrol cars (and an LPG powered one) over 58 years, I've never found any difference between branded fuels other than price, so have usually gone for the cheapest fill-up as I see no reason why I should contribute towards fuel companies advertising revenue.

Keith.

The additives are added at the distribution centre not the refinery.  All the base petrol is the same for all suppliers (European Standard EN228 for unleaded), when the driver puts fuel into his tanker he puts a card into a machine attached to the delivery system and it automatically injects the correct additives into the fuel being loaded appropriate to the destination e.g. Sainsburys, Tesco, Esso etc. Tankers are compartmentalised so they can carry more than one grade or type of fuel.  The quantity of additivities put into the petrol is miniscule, measured in parts per million.

• Like 3

Great response that @Trewithy- where do you fill up out of interest.  My wife filled up her car with Asda other week there without telling me (first time has even filled up her car!  I didn't even notice the difference (Diesel) v Esso where normally go doubt MPG will be much difference either.  Asda near me had a few issues before...  but big new station now!

Aye.  I reckon if someone else filled our cars up for us we'd never know the difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Great response that @Trewithy- where do you fill up out of interest.  My wife filled up her car with Asda other week there without telling me (first time has even filled up her car!  I didn't even notice the difference (Diesel) v Esso where normally go doubt MPG will be much difference either.  Asda near me had a few issues before...  but big new station now!

Over the years I have bought fuel from all the major suppliers and I can't say I have ever noticed any difference between them.  The most convenient for me now are Asda, Tesco and Esso and I mostly use Tesco.  Recently I have been using Tesco Momentum 99, I find the engine runs quieter and smoother and under normal driving I am unaware of when the engine cuts in and out.  I can't say if the mpg is improved there are so many variables that affect it but there is no significant difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Over the years I have bought fuel from all the major suppliers and I can't say I have ever noticed any difference between them.  The most convenient for me now are Asda, Tesco and Esso and I mostly use Tesco.  Recently I have been using Tesco Momentum 99, I find the engine runs quieter and smoother and under normal driving I am unaware of when the engine cuts in and out.  I can't say if the mpg is improved there are so many variables that affect it but there is no significant difference.

I had Esso in mine and couldn't notice it, filled up with Shell (was closest at the time) and I could 100% hear when my engine kicked in !   Trying Asda next to see - might go on a tour of all my local stations each fill up just to see hahaha.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links