Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel consumption

Timothy Walters

I purchased a 19 plate Auris in may to use as a Private  Hire Taxi. At first I was getting 58 mpg now I am down to 48mpg.  Why is this?

9 minutes ago, Timothy Walters said:

I purchased a 19 plate Auris in may to use as a Private  Hire Taxi. At first I was getting 58 mpg now I am down to 48mpg.  Why is this?

Hey Timothy! A little more information would be great! What engine size and specifications is your Auris? My impulse would be to check the EGR valve to see if it is clogged up, but that only applies if you have one! How suddenly has this drop occurred as 10mpg is obviously quite significant! 

I don't have the same model of Auris as you, but even the drastic change between flooring it and using all of its power, and driving it like a nun is only around 5-6mpg over the duration of the tank! So a 10mpg drop is definitely a big one! 

A little more info regarding your car, and its service history would definitely be helpful!

How are you obtaining the figures? Don't rely on the car's computer. Which engine Diesel or Petrol?

Kyle beat me to it!

Hi, 

fuel consumption depends on many factors and can vary a lot. You can look at following factors like tyre pressure, they needs to be set properly at cold, morning before driving off preferably, service- the car is fairly new however service schedules are important to be done  always on time or early but never later. Weather plays a big role too, wind, rain and colder temperatures cause significant drop in mpg. Driving style and places plus how much load you carry onto the car., passengers and luggage etc, you know the best for yourself and looking into these factors can help you determine what eventually can cause 10mpg difference. Fuel., since September in UK regular 95 has become E10 standard which has up to 10% ethanol , this makes the fuel slightly less energy dense than previous standard of up to 5% ethanol content 95 E5., you can try to fill up premium petrol 99 E5  and see if there is any change in fuel consumption or performance. Going towards autumn and winter the fuel consumption is going to be affected even further, I usually get 60mpg summer and around 50mpg during the winter. 
Regards 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links