Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel gauge accuracy and filling. Petrol Valvematic.

Konrad C

Here is my experience with refuelling my 2009 petrol Avensis.

I think the gauge gives a big reserve especially when low. I go to fill up and sometimes when opening the filler cap, there is a rush of air, sometimes with a 'burb'. Then when filling begins, the pump shuts off. I have to start slowly, and make sure the pump nozzles is aimed towards the front of the car. After a slow start, I can pull the pump trigger fully until it get close to full when the pump auto stops. Then slowly top off. If I stop filling when the pump stops, I would just reach the top bar of the fuel gauge. The after a short journey the gauge drops to second bar. If I carry on trickle topping up, I can get a few litres extra and get the 'full' bar on, and it stays on for a long while. My last fill, was just over 40 litres from the bottom bar. I get over 300 miles between fills, even though the car says 35 mpg. I had the suction pump recall over 2 years ago.

The filling process is similar to my previous Mk1 1.8 '98 leanburn with the slow fill up and occasional 'burb', so it must be an Avensis thing. I cannot comment on E10 and how it affects the performance and economy, because I am on my second fill. The fuel probably still is a mix of E5 - E10 and the car does not feel any different. 

What experiences are other owners getting?

in my experience the "reserve" (the range counts down to reserve & not empty) is ~9l on a petrol T27.

It used to be the same on the diesels too but they made changes around 2015 (BMW diesel intro) iirc.

I knew that we had been here before  🙂

• Like 1

re. differences with E5 vs E10, no noticeable difference in performance or fuel economy in my Yaris Mk4,

re. petrol pump cutting off early, I do get that but it seems dependant on what pump I am using. Some stations are very prone to it and I have to hold the trigger no more than half, while most others I can just squeeze it. Sometimes rotating the nozzle angle in the filler neck helps.

I have also noticed if I pull straight into a pump and start filling it's more likely to happen, whereas if I am forced to queue it seems less likely. I was thinking maybe the remaining fuel is still sloshing around in the bottom of the tank and somehow causing this, but when queuing it gives it time to settle (Don't see how, but who knows??). Just as likely it's just a weird coincidence tho'!

The rush of air is probably a slight inrush vacuum, as modern tanks are sealed to the environment so it just builds up as fuel is used. My Fiesta and diesel Yaris didn't do it, but my Mk2 and Mk4 did.

One thing to be aware of, although this tends to affect US cars more, is whether you car has a charcoal canister in the fuel tank - It's supposed to capture errant fumes to stop them escaping into the atmosphere and increasing the greenhouse effect, but overfilling can flood it. AFAIK none of my cars have ever had one, but I think the Aygo does as there's a check item specifically for it on all the service sheets I get!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john p williams said:

Is yours an automatic Konrad ?

6 speed manual. Check my profile for posts. Sorry for the late reply. Been busy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

in my experience the "reserve" (the range counts down to reserve & not empty) is ~9l on a petrol T27.

It used to be the same on the diesels too but they made changes around 2015 (BMW diesel intro) iirc.

I knew that we had been here before  🙂

I forgot that I even replied to that one. I have used my car a lot less since March 2020. I even cycle more than I drive!

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

I have used my car a lot less since March 2020. 

Haven't we all ... 😞

• Like 1

It do we all cycle more then I drive.  I don’t, I don’t own a bike.😃

I had a bike before we moved.  It was modified for electric and worked well in the past of Lincolnshire where hills were measured in inches.  I sold it as this part of the county they're measured in metres.

So where do you live now Roy? Your location is still shown a Lincolnshire.

From the fans with the delights of Scrub Hill and Hawthorne Hill, stand at the bottom and you could see over the top, to the extreme South West of the county.  There and back journeys show quite different consumption figures.

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Twice I corrected FANS to FENS but didn't spot autocorrect defeated me.

We`ve all been there Roy. With each passing year it don`t get any easier.😉

• Haha 1

Yes, autocorrect is wonderful most of the time, but a pain at others.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links