Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris beeping noise - not parking sensor!!

Rachel035

My Yaris suddenly started making a high pitch beeping sound when driving. It’s not the parking sensor or the crash detection. It beeped slowly for around 60 seconds, then increased in volume and speed for another 60 seconds then stops for 60 seconds. Then cycle repeats. No warning lights, no problems with steering, handling or breaking. It’s coming from the dash. It’s totally different to the usual crash detection or parking. I know it’s not those. I’ve attached a file of the recording. Please help!! 

Could it be the Someone Isn't Wearing Their Seatbelt alarm?

I had to start belting my work bag in the back because it was heavy enough to intermittently trigger the sensor

• Like 2

Could be RSA overspeed warning, the RSA is showing a 50mph limit fully red as the car is doing nearer 60mph

• Like 1

Looks like it’s the rear seatbelt warning there’s 2 red lights on the Center warning panel.  The following is from the owners manual 

Driver’s and passenger’s seat belt buzzer:
The driver’s and passenger’s seat belt buzzer sounds to alert the driver and passenger that his or her seat belt is not fastened. The buzzer sounds for 30 seconds after the vehicle reaches a speed of at least 20 km/h (12 mph). Then, if the seat belt is still unfastened, the buzzer will sound in a different tone for 90 more seconds.

• Like 1

Aha! Yes, we are definitely right Ralph - I didn't see it the first time because the video is so tall it was off my screen, but I just re-watched it and you can definitely see the 2 red lights indicating the seat belts aren't in.

I suspect it's the same problem I had, i.e. a bag or something is on the back seat and triggering the seat weight sensor, making it think there is are unbelted passengers in the back.

If rear seats are not used by passengers frequently why not keep all three seats in the fastened position, just like a lot of times when the car has come out from a MOT test.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Catlover said:

If rear seats are not used by passengers frequently why not keep all three seats in the fastened position, just like a lot of times when the car has come out from a MOT test.

That’s what I do Joe, it allows me to throw shopping on the back seat without triggering the seat belt alarm signal.

• Like 1

I actually do belt in my bag as a few times the auto-brake has kicked in and thrown my bag off the back seats!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I actually do belt in my bag as a few times the auto-brake has kicked in and thrown my bag off the back seats!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Now you’ve triggered my curiosity, under what conditions/circumstances did the automatic brake kick in. Was it intentional testing or real life possible collision.

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I always belt our Indian takeaways in.

I don't want to find out what might happen otherwise 😨

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Now you’ve triggered my curiosity, under what conditions/circumstances did the automatic brake kick in. Was it intentional testing or real life possible collision.

Whilst I have had the dash in my Avensis flash red a few times I have never yet had the PCS actually initiate braking.

19 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Mostly false alarms, but a couple times genuine real ones!

There are lots of places where there are islands, and if people park too close to them I have to take a steeper angle to get through and this is almost always guaranteed to set the brake alert off every time, but on one occasion it actually stopped the car, quite violently and suddenly, for a split second then released the brake, which nearly caused me to crash into the island because it threw off my steering. Was a damned good thing nobody was behind me!

I find the system is particularly bad at dealing with cars parked by the side of the road, especially if there isn't a car in front of me, and the parked cars are not continuous. One time there was a break in the parked cars so I moved back over again, then started to move back out as the parked cars resumed and as I got up to the next parked car it just braked for no reason then let go again almost immediately.

The system just isn't calibrated well for narrow streets I feel.

It's not happened for a while now as I've mostly mitigated this by slowing down when I'm in situations I know will freak it out (Just need to think how a nervous learner would react :laugh: ), but I still occasionally trigger the Brake! alert.

One genuine one was where some kid shot across a zebra crossing on a scooter from behind a hedge just as I started moving after letting people cross it. It was only a tiny fraction quicker than I was on the brakes 'tho!

Another genuine one was on a road where they'd recently removed one of the lanes to be cycle lanes, and then removed the bus layby and extended it out forcing buses to stop in the middle of the road in traffic, where previously they'd be able to pull into the layby. Because of this people tend to try and jump round them, and I had some idiot in a range rover try to leapfrog 4 of us from behind and overtake the bus while it was stationary, except the bus then moved off leaving him stuck on the wrong side of the road, whereupon he decided to cut back in front of me then slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. That was a pretty close one as the Mk4 has surprisingly strong acceleration from a standstill and I doubt I could have gone from, not full, but brisk acceleration to full anchors that quickly!

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Mostly false alarms, but a couple times genuine real ones!

There are lots of places where there are islands, and if people park too close to them I have to take a steeper angle to get through and this is almost always guaranteed to set the brake alert off every time, but on one occasion it actually stopped the car, quite violently and suddenly, for a split second then released the brake, which nearly caused me to crash into the island because it threw off my steering. Was a damned good thing nobody was behind me!

I find the system is particularly bad at dealing with cars parked by the side of the road, especially if there isn't a car in front of me, and the parked cars are not continuous. One time there was a break in the parked cars so I moved back over again, then started to move back out as the parked cars resumed and as I got up to the next parked car it just braked for no reason then let go again almost immediately.

The system just isn't calibrated well for narrow streets I feel.

It's not happened for a while now as I've mostly mitigated this by slowing down when I'm in situations I know will freak it out (Just need to think how a nervous learner would react :laugh: ), but I still occasionally trigger the Brake! alert.

One genuine one was where some kid shot across a zebra crossing on a scooter from behind a hedge just as I started moving after letting people cross it. It was only a tiny fraction quicker than I was on the brakes 'tho!

Another genuine one was on a road where they'd recently removed one of the lanes to be cycle lanes, and then removed the bus layby and extended it out forcing buses to stop in the middle of the road in traffic, where previously they'd be able to pull into the layby. Because of this people tend to try and jump round them, and I had some idiot in a range rover try to leapfrog 4 of us from behind and overtake the bus while it was stationary, except the bus then moved off leaving him stuck on the wrong side of the road, whereupon he decided to cut back in front of me then slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. That was a pretty close one as the Mk4 has surprisingly strong acceleration from a standstill and I doubt I could have gone from, not full, but brisk acceleration to full anchors that quickly!

Thanks Cyker for your comprehensive reply, I’ve had the red flash warnings a couple of times which I couldn’t understand the reason for. However your reply has the possible reasons. I agree that the system isn’t suitable for our narrow streets and the lane departure correctional system isn’t really suitable for the narrow roads I mostly drive on. It is sometimes inclined to pull the steering wheel out of the hands. It would be scary for someone not expecting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a bit annoying as I kinda want to disable it as I really hate it when it does that, but the problem is I believe it has genuinely avoided a collision I'm not sure I would have caught in time so I am hesitant to turn it off.

I don't like that it has forced me to adapt to it, as I'm a firm believer that tech should work for us instead of the other way around, but maybe it's made me a safer driver...?

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's a bit annoying as I kinda want to disable it as I really hate it when it does that, but the problem is I believe it has genuinely avoided a collision I'm not sure I would have caught in time so I am hesitant to turn it off.

I don't like that it has forced me to adapt to it, as I'm a firm believer that tech should work for us instead of the other way around, but maybe it's made me a safer driver...?

I’m on verge of turning it off also, but I’m too lazy to consult the handbook on how to do so.😆. I’ll tell you what has turned me into a more considerate and safer driver is the dash cams fitted front and rear. I watch a lot of dash cam footage on Facebook and it seems to be an excuse to install a loud horn and keep blasting it at other drivers who make mistakes and it shows up discourteous and bad driving habits of the dash cam driver.😡

52 minutes ago, Cyker said:

but maybe it's made me a safer driver...?

We all think we are great drivers ...

... and is adapting your driving to leave a slightly bigger safety margin actually a bad thing?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

an excuse to install a loud horn and keep blasting it

I don't thing my horn gets used more than once a year ... and that's assuming the mechanic doing the MoT does actually test it.

If you have to use it to prevent a collision then most times you've not really been paying attention. 99% of usage is either to vent annoyance or annoy everyone else in the area by announcing arrival/departure from relatives'/mates' homes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's hard to say objectively; I reckon I'm easily a better driver than 2/3 of other drivers, but that's not a very high bar to cross to be honest, when those 2/3 appear to never use their mirrors, indicate, use the handbrake when stopped in traffic, stop at zebra crossings, or appear to have any courtesy or consideration for other road users. I've also been seeing an increasing number of people ignoring red lights for some worrying reason, but even traffic police don't seem interested in this - Someone (SUV driver, because of course) did just cruised through one, apparently oblivious, only yesterday while the rest of us were stopped, and there was a police car opposite; I thought for sure they'd go after them but nope.

I constantly assess how I'm driving as I still have that paranoia that I could be holding up other road users, and the number of apparently suicidal pedestrians has steadily increased. My driving style has always incorporated a generous buffer in front of me as I dislike braking - I can often drive for long periods of time without having to brake as I'm pretty good at predicting, and I like to play the traffic light game (i.e. how many traffic lights can I coast through without having to stop), whereas I see other people braking constantly and, sometimes for no apparent reason! I reckon this is partly why I'm getting such good mpg out of my Mk4; I always get 5 bars for the cruising/coasting? one, but like 2 or 3 for the acceleration and braking :laugh: 

But when I get stuck behind someone who leaves 5 miles of distance in front of them and doesn't close it up even when we're well under the speed limit it does irk me, and I don't want to become one of *those* people so I at last try to keep pace with traffic because I'm quite patient and if that annoys me I'm sure it annoys other people too! And at some point it will actually become un-safe, when you've got idiots like that range rover driver around!

I'm all for safe driving, but I'm also for courteous driving - If someone drives in a way they think is safe but puts other road users in danger or causes aggravation, then if this leads to an accident, then to me some of that blame has to fall on that person too. We're all in this together as they say!

On 9/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, Cyker said:

It's hard to say objectively; I reckon I'm easily a better driver than 2/3 of other drivers, but that's not a very high bar to cross to be honest, when those 2/3 appear to never use their mirrors, indicate, use the handbrake when stopped in traffic, stop at zebra crossings, or appear to have any courtesy or consideration for other road users.

Guilty as charged, as far as the not using handbrake when stopped in traffic. Very few people do that these days, and especially when driving an automatic. In my small town, local driving rules require that cars stop at zebra crossings at the slightest hint of a pedestrian starting to cross. In Paris, it was usual that cars would not stop at pedestrian crossing, and when they did, pedestrians had to be on the look out for the drivers overtaking the the car stopped!

In our small town where there are no traffic lights, but pedestrians are generally well respected, but in cities in France, it's usual for up to 3 cars and sometimes more to go through while the traffic light is on red. I have even heard parents explaining to their learning adolescent children that it's ok, because they still have time, before the other direction changes to green (the lights go straight from red to green, when it's ok to proceed).

The biggest point you make is "We are all in this together", that's something that some people just do not get! It applies to any number of things you care to think about (Covid precautions, to name but one). I always consider myself to be one element in an anarchic (in the truest sense of the word, i.e., without hierarchy). 

When I drive I am always thinking about how I can have the least impact on other drivers. I don't even do you U-turns when I need to go off in the other direction, unless I have no other choice, I drive around the block, or down to the nearest roundabout.

• Like 2

I use rarely use handbrake when stopped in the traffic, only when I'm stopped on an hill.  If the stop is long I use the Hold function that keeps brakes on even if i release the brake pedal.  If I need to stop to a train crossing I'll put car in P. 

I understand clearly what you you say about the traffic of a big city like Paris.  I live in Milan and traffic ( expecially on rudh hours ) is always present. Luckily here there's more respect of red traffic lights by car drivers.  The problem is with bycicles drivers that very often think that road rules have been written only for car drivers. 

There are anyway some kind of drivers that i call "fixed speed" ones, that drive slowly when they ahve free road but when reach a red light look left, look right and ... cross, with their lsow pace, thinking that traffic lights are just urban  decor 😉

Normally when I drive I always think that when I leave my car parked I become a pedestrian.  So I always check zebras and also places where pedestrians could cross the road outside zebras. 

But I too sometimes cross zebras carefully when the road has more than a lane because the risk of getting the "fox" that overtakes the stopped cars is always present.

• Like 1

I am a much better driver when driving on my own. 😆

Seriously, the missus frequently makes an interjection but it is difficult to determine between:

"Oh.... watch the kerb" 

and

"Oh.... look at that pretty thatched cottage" 

Regarding automatic braking, first happened driving into my garage.  The stop was so sudden I thought I had hit the wall; it was a foot clear of a cardboard box. 

To be fair, I am now one of those people who do not use the handbrake when stopped in traffic! :laugh:

I used to do it religiously in my manual cars, but I can't find a way to do it in the Mk4 that isn't awful, and the least awful way I've found to keep the car stationary at e.g. lights is to just leave it in D and use the brake hold, which alas does leave the brake lights on.

The problem is if I do handbrake (Well, stupid EPB) and neutral in this, the engine will sometimes run for no reason and waste fuel, and if I am stopped for a while the car complains and literally tells me not to use N, but to use P or D instead. I do use P if the car is going to be stationary for a while (e.g. at level crossings or motorway accidents), but the car takes too long to engage/disengage the EPB to move off quickly without it jerking, and I don't like flashing the reverse light at people repeatedly when switching between P and D. Also, for some reason, in P the engine seems to vibrate more harshly and louder when it runs to charge the Battery compared to when it's in D. Then there's the horror stories of the parking pawl getting snapped (Less of a problem now they've made the EPB engage automatically when in P. Why they didn't do this to begin with I'll never understand...!)

I would have preferred the 'puck' gear selector that is in the Auris - It makes so much more sense than this massive old-fashioned PRND selector. Heck they took away my beloved handbrake to free up space, yet put this giant waste of space where they could have used the more more compact and sensible puck from the Auris! Another example of weird Toyota decision making :laugh: 

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Regarding automatic braking, first happened driving into my garage.  The stop was so sudden I thought I had hit the wall; it was a foot clear of a cardboard box. 

Yeah, it's really violent isn't it?? Nice to know that the car can stop so rapidly when you need to tho'. I find the auto brake too sensitive for narrow London roads, and would disable it, except I'm constantly scared of the potential of things like this:

• 2 years later...

Hi, did anyone get an answer to this beeping issue? It happened to me today with my 2014 yaris, exactly as in the video, except my indicators failed at the same time. They would flash on the dash with the green arrows as normal but didn't flash externally and neither did they make the usual clicking sound. No warning lights on the dash.

Luckily I wasn't far from home and when I engaged reverse gear to get onto my driveway the beeping stopped and the indicators all of a sudden started working again. Very strange!

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks! 

Possibly the 12v is on its way out, especially if it is the original, the cold weather kills off batteries the AGM Battery are not cheap - a Main stealer is your best bet expect around £150 from the parts department