Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2021 hybrid 1.5 - TPWS

hybridjack

Hi folks,

I am new here and am from Italy. I’ve been owning a Yaris Hybrid 2021 1.5 – XPA1F, it’s got the TPWS in it.

It came with standard steel rims and summer tires, now: I bought another set of rims to mount winter tyres on them to swap the whole lot in winter/ summer time by myself.

Now: the winter set is not equipped  the 4  TPWS  sensors, hence I expect the TPWS alarm sign will pop up on my dash when I’ll swap summer kit with winter lot.

• Will this just cause the alarm pop up on my dash as long as winter wheels will be on?
  • Will this cause also an error on the onboard CPU which cab ben cancelled/reset only eb the authorized TOYOTA shop?
  • The TPWS dahs alarms is just the sign or also a continuous acoustic  beep?

I’m not really skilled in electronical stuff so would not want to do any modification/bridging on wiring/CPU etc.

Many thanks to u all for guidance.

Ciao

The only thing you will have to put up with is a single beep initially and the warning light showing all the time during winter when you have your non-TPWS set on. That's all. Once you put your summer set back on, it should (after a while) detect the sensors and the light will go out (if the pressures are within tolerance) or you can just go through the reset procedure that is in the manual if you want to be sure.

Edited by CPN
Updated TPMS to TPWS per the manual
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for answering CPN. For me it’s not an issue at all putting up with a single beep, I was afraid it continuously beeped (like the beep sound when you open the front door with the key in the dashboard).

My YARIS is 2021 model, with the onboard display like the attached picture and automatic E CVT gear.

I am mostly worried about that, travelling in winter time with TPMS warning light on,  could lead to an error in the CPU / Onboard computer that inhibits some other functions and can be reset only by the dealer repair shop.

Hope this is not the case..

toyota-Yaris-2017-interior-tme-012-a-full_tcm-20-928096.jpg

5 hours ago, hybridjack said:

I am mostly worried about that, travelling in winter time with TPMS warning light on,  could lead to an error in the CPU / Onboard computer that inhibits some other functions and can be reset only by the dealer repair shop.

I am pretty certain that it does not.

• Thanks 1

thanks so so much! so the warning light and beep will just disappear once i'll put bakc the summer kit with the 4 original coded sensors in it - just a normal reset as per OEM booklet is needed.. did I get it right?

Edited by hybridjack
addition

6 hours ago, hybridjack said:

toyota-Yaris-2017-interior-tme-012-a-full_tcm-20-928096.jpg

It certainly has not been the case on my 2017 Avensis. Other than the warning light on the dash no issues & when I put the summers with TPMS back on I don't have to do anything (NB my wheels go into marked covers so that they go back onto the hub that they came off).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hybridjack said:

thanks so so much! so the warning light and beep will just disappear once i'll put bakc the summer kit with the 4 original coded sensors in it - just a normal reset as per OEM booklet is needed.. did I get it right?

Indeed, and as Scott has said, you may not have to go through the reset procedure as long as you monitor your summer tyres pressures during the winter period. After a short drive, the system will realise you have them back on again (they use bluetooth to connect). As Scott has also pointed out (and it is relevant now that you have a 2021 Yaris that displays the wheels/pressures) I also have marked wheel covers so that the tyres/wheels go back on exactly the same way. Another way is to use a black felt tip pen on the inside of the wheel somewhere and put "FR", "FL", "RR" & "RL" so that you don't forget...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, CPN said:

Indeed, and as Scott has said, you may not have to go through the reset procedure as long as you monitor your summer tyres pressures during the winter period. After a short drive, the system will realise you have them back on again (they use Bluetooth to connect). As Scott has also pointed out (and it is relevant now that you have a 2021 Yaris that displays the wheels/pressures) I also have marked wheel covers so that the tyres/wheels go back on exactly the same way. Another way is to use a black felt tip pen on the inside of the wheel somewhere and put "FR", "FL", "RR" & "RL" so that you don't forget...

ok so the sensors work by sending the sensed signal to the CPU or are they reading the pressure by reading the ABS system? Hope my question is understandable...

32 minutes ago, hybridjack said:

ok so the sensors work by sending the sensed signal to the CPU or are they reading the pressure by reading the ABS system? Hope my question is understandable...

No, the modern TPMS units are individual pressure sensors behind each valve that send the reading for each tyre directly back to the ECU. The method used in the reset process (from scratch) I believe uses the ABS system to identify which wheel is which (see the process in the manual) but the pressure itself is a direct reading.

image.thumb.png.8eafb2b35aa5a1e42604c68032cf5173.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was checking my tyre pressures the other day and unfortunately broke the top of the valve holder resulting in a flat tyre. Put on spare and went to local tyre fitters. They have changed the sensor valve for a standard one as they did not have a suitable replacement. I can easily live with the warning on the dashboard temporarily.

They have told me to find a service kit for the valve as the sensor is fine. Does anybody know the Toyota part number or if there is a car factor one that is compatible.

They said that they are getting a lot more of modern valves been broken by people checking tyre pressures as they are aluminium and if you put any sideways force on the pressure gauge they can snap. Be aware !!!

Thanks in advance

Gwynfor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I was a bit annoyed they are still using the older aluminium-stem TPMS sensors in the new Yaris - Supposedly there is a new sensor which has a replaceable rubber-sheathed stem but for some reason it doesn't seem to have filtered down to Euro-spec cars yet!

I don't believe the aluminium ones can have the stem replaced, I think the whole sensor has to be replaced, and they are stupidly expensive for what is a replaceable part!

• 1 month later...

After a lot of searching was able to find replacement tpms valve stems on Ali express at a very good price. Had 4 delivered in  two weeks for under £7.

Have had the broken sensor valve stem  replaced at local tyre fitter and was told that they were of comparable quality to originals.

|Toyota quoted £150 for replacement and cheapest compatible was £80. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002604560456.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.395f3ef3Mmx01G&algo_pvid=22f23bb7-f094-49f3-8102-62dc94e26065&algo_exp_id=22f23bb7-f094-49f3-8102-62dc94e26065-2&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000021357349785"}

• Thanks 1

You can register set #2 in the system. Not sure though, if you put on winter tyres without TPMS, it will recognise this and not show the MIL. I've never tried it, so not sure. You also have to get dealer to register them OR use Carista or alternative OBD software.

I also damaged my TPMS not so long ago. I bought complete sensor ( you can't change the stem on my C-HR ) from China. Tyre fitter changed sensor for £10, then I used Carista to change sensor ID in system. Make sure you have both old and new ID's at hand though when/if you have to do it. Carista doesn't tell you what sensor is at which corner. Fortunately, my son has a piece of kit which does tell you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links