Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coyote Speed Camera PHEV 2021

ernieb

No joy with phone connected, it's becoming clear to me why most seem to use alternatives to the built in satnav.

28 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

No joy with phone connected, it's becoming clear to me why most seem to use alternatives to the built in satnav.

When you say phone connected, how is it connected? Cable, bluetooth or WiFi Hotspot? If it's Cable or bluetooth you will probably have to enable USB or bluetooth tethering in your phone settings. Not sure how iPhones work but a lot of Android phones will turn it off automatically if it's not actively used for a few minutes so you need to turn it back on every journey, which is just a pain. Only reliable way I found was via hotspot but I didn't like to have hotspot enabled all the time due to power consumption and heat generated on the phone, hence why I gave up in the end!

To be fair, for me it works from a Toyota perspective, it's the way my phone handles it that stopped me using it.

32 minutes ago, nlee said:

When you say phone connected, how is it connected? Cable, Bluetooth or WiFi Hotspot? If it's Cable or Bluetooth you will probably have to enable USB or Bluetooth tethering in your phone settings. Not sure how iPhones work but a lot of Android phones will turn it off automatically if it's not actively used for a few minutes so you need to turn it back on every journey, which is just a pain. Only reliable way I found was via hotspot but I didn't like to have hotspot enabled all the time due to power consumption and heat generated on the phone, hence why I gave up in the end!

To be fair, for me it works from a Toyota perspective, it's the way my phone handles it that stopped me using it.

It was setup as a Hotspot I had Coyote running as well (although I was looking via the built in satnav.)on indication of a well used speed trap.

Things just seem to change like when I first passed a camera I got a spoken warning now I get 2 beeps, OK it could be something I've changed but I can't fined what.

I understand what your saying in it works from a Toyota perspective but the integration of some software is lacking.

I only get two beeps, not sure I’ve ever had a spoken warning.

2 hours ago, Roger_N said:

It was setup as a Hotspot I had Coyote running as well (although I was looking via the built in satnav.)on indication of a well used speed trap.

Things just seem to change like when I first passed a camera I got a spoken warning now I get 2 beeps, OK it could be something I've changed but I can't fined what.

I understand what your saying in it works from a Toyota perspective but the integration of some software is lacking.

I wonder if you've got some sort of conflict going on. I can't remember the trial I had with Coyote and whether that had spoken warnings but the Cyclops or built in Toyota camera have never had spoken warnings for me.

I have access to Coyote for free. I downloaded it and installed it to the car. Two days later I uninstalled it. It was so unimpressive I don't really remember anything about it. 

I use the standard satnav all the time. A couple of beeps and I know a camera is within range. 

Well, that's my 10p worth 

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I only get two beeps, not sure I’ve ever had a spoken warning.

Ernie

I know that it has happen, because my previous car used to report the camera just as I passed it and the Rav4s came well before with the same warning of speed camera ahead. That is the only one I can be sure of, it was just after I got the car and the Audio/visual system would have not been fully connected for online services, so it maybe could have been changed when doing this?

I've just checked with the other person who was with me and if definitely did this

21 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

Ernie

I know that it has happen, because my previous car used to report the camera just as I passed it and the Rav4s came well before with the same warning of speed camera ahead. That is the only one I can be sure of, it was just after I got the car and the Audio/visual system would have not been fully connected for online services, so it maybe could have been changed when doing this?

I've just checked with the other person who was with me and if definitely did this

Roger, don’t doubt for one minute it did what you said, it’s just the inconsistency that bothers me. This should be a simple install and operation but it as is typical with Toyota there are hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links