Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nextbase 322GW Front & Rear Dash-Cam

venomx

Hi guys.

Got a 2008 plate Yaris sr vvt-i ( I have had an 8 year break from driving and am slowly getting back into it )

Looking to get the Nextbase 322GW Front & Rear Dash-Cam and have Halfords fit it for me

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-322gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-with-fitting-1589901220.html

Does it fit well in this car? I'm just concerned it could affect my view

Also. does the rear camera sit on the front or back window ?

Thanks

Hi Terry and welcome to TOC

I got the 322GW, had it just 1 year. Mine tools neatly half hidden by the interior drivers mirror BUT I do not half the rear view module which attaches to the main body by removing a cover then the rear view module attaches magnetically. It’s a strong magnet so will be stable.  Problem is, where to attach the unit, as said, mine Is half tucked behind the internal mirror it, I don’t think that is an option because of the rear view camera.  Check the legal situation as if it is placed intruding too much into the windscreen wiper sweep it will fail it’s MOT, and before your next MOT you could get stopped.    
Cable run can be tucked into the headliner, no problem, you should get a plastic tool in the box just to help, then tucked inside the windscreen pillar trim coming down to the dash, and so on till you get under the dash near where foot pedals are. Then you need to choose do you want to go to a fuse box, or 12v cig lighter, or as I do to a USB port. Quality of recording is good.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Check the legal situation as if it is placed intruding too much into the windscreen wiper sweep it will fail it’s MOT

Thanks for the reply 🙂

If Halfords are the ones fitting it then surely they will make sure it's located where it won't fail the MOT ?

Can you have the rear-view camera on the rear window. Or does it have to sit at the front of the car ?

Hi Terry.

I have a next base front and rear view dash cam in my Yaris. The rear camera is mounted on the rear window just below the high level brake light with the wiring routed under the brake light housing.

The dash cam was in the vehicle  when bought as it was an ex demo. Here is a link to the model which is approved by Toyota. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ux/lexus-ux-2018-present/lexus-ux-accessories/lexus-nextbase-1080p-front-and-rear-integrated-dash-cam/

Link for a Lexus but the same model dash cam.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, venomx said:

Thanks for the reply 🙂

If Halfords are the ones fitting it then surely they will make sure it's located where it won't fail the MOT ?

Can you have the rear-view camera on the rear window. Or does it have to sit at the front of the car ?

If Halfords are fitting it you would like to think they would position it where legally acceptable, but, there is always a but…..

The 322GW is designed so the front camera can be bought solely as a front camera…… like I did. The rear camera is an attachment I could buy but choose not too. Whether Nextbase do a rear camera holder such that the rear camera for the 322GW can fit to ….. you would have to go to Nextbase website.  You obviously will also see Nextbase full range too.

• Thanks 1

brilliant, thank you guys

Last question. It won't cause a flat Battery at all will it ? I would probably keep parking mode off. I don't think it comes included with a hardwire kit. However on the Halfords website it says they can expertly hard-wire it

Went for this one in the end ( 322GW Front & Rear )

Says they can hardwire it too, so should be all good 😁

Some insurers class a hard wired Dashcam as a modification, as it is a permanent addition to the vehicle. Check with your insurer.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Some insurers class a hard wired dashcam as a modification, as it is a permanent addition to the vehicle. Check with your insurer.

Good advice. They informed me it does not need to be declared as it is an " accessory " not a " modification "

I'm new to dashcams so is this how they work..
They record at all times when driving, then when the storage is nearly full you then authorise it to record over the existing footage and keeps doing this in a loop ? OR every now and then just format it and start over ?
It comes with a 32GB U3 SD Card. 
Halfords sell 64GB for £35 which is quite expensive. I'd assume it's always best to use the SD cards endorsed from Nextbase rather than a third party one?

Apparently the Dashcam will detect and jolts to the car and keep the recording which is good to know

The front camera is 1080p and the rear is 720p.
I heard that 1x 1080p can get 4 hours of footage with 32GB. So half that, and add a bit more ( as the rear one is 720p ) will give me about 2.5-3 hours right ?

They record while ignition is on (assuming they're wired to a switched 12 volt feed). When the card is full the oldest unprotected recording is erased/overwritten. Usually the recordings are a minute or so long. If you manually protect a recording or if the camera detects an incident then it will protect that recording. Nextbase protects the previous or following recording ...if you're in the first 1/3 of a recording keeps previous, last 1/3 keeps next. So eventually the card will fill up...

Nextbase recommend formatting the card every couple of weeks

Generally rear cam will halve recording time, depending on resolution so yes sounds about right.

Nextbase do not support any card not branded by them, officially. They also have limits. My cam has 128gb limit but is happily running with a SanDisk extreme 256gb. Obviously make sure it is working before relying on it!

Shop around, Amazon did the above card for not much more than Halfords 64gb. branded nextbase are expensive but again they've tested.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

Nextbase do not support any card not branded by them

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the 32GB and see how I get on. I'm sure it's plenty of space esp. as I only do short journeys.

It has to be a " U3 " SD Card right ?

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the 32GB and see how I get on. I'm sure it's plenty of space esp. as I only do short journeys.

It has to be a " U3 " SD Card right ?

Your right, you really don’t need a massive go sd card. I have 64mb and that’s more then enough. As long as it captures the moment in time leading up to and including an incident and then saves it that all you need. Why would you want a few hours of no incidents. Unless you want to bore to death relatives and friends on an evening of showing holiday movies.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Your right, you really don’t need a massive go sd card. I have 64mb and that’s more then enough. As long as it captures the moment in time leading up to and including an incident and then saves it that all you need. Why would you want a few hours of no incidents. Unless you want to bore to death relatives and friends on an evening of showing holiday movies.

Damn...you sussed me 😄

As soon as my lot knew I was getting a Dashcam their faces dropped 😄 😄 😄

• Haha 1

Went for the 322GW...
Everything works as it should with the cam. However i'm confused with the app because it uses bluetooth AND wifi ? Why is this ? Could someone explain why it doesn't just use bluetooth ?

Is WIFI necessary ? And does it piggyback the phones wifi connection ?
Also does parking mode drain either the Dashcam or the car Battery ? I have it hardwired to the fusebox ( Halfords )
Thanks

I have the 422 GW

bluetooth connection covers the ‘Sos’ connection, or to display ‘live’ from the Dashcam.

It sets up a wifi connection to download any files you want.

It depends how Halfords have hardwired it.

Normally to a ‘ignition live’ fuse (rear wiper’ so parking mode is only active for the length of the charge in the internal Battery.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Yugguy1970 said:

On 9/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, Catlover said:

There is a case for long recording periods.  If your driving is high hours in  short time you could lose very useful video.

If you are pinged by a speed camera your Dashcam might show either lack of signage or the speed was wrong. 

Another instance, I discovered a small scrape on my rear bumper.  The scrape included white paint and simply wiped off.  I assumed I had either rubbed against a post or someone has scraped me in a car park. Just over two weeks later I got a notice of intended prosecution for a hit and run. 

The notice was out of time and the PC accepted I had not known. Nevertheless the 3rd party claim was £1,050.  Had I got a video I could have contested the extent of the damage. It was a Fiat 500 and the repair must have included their rear bumper and the panel in front of the wheel - virtually impossible. 

The "  G-Sensor " seems pretty sensitive. I set it to low, turned the engine off, opened and closed the door and it started recording. Not great but at least if anyone bumps it whilst parked I'll know what caused it

Also when in parking mode, does it use the internal Nextbase Battery, or does it run off the car's fusebox ?

19 minutes ago, venomx said:

Also when in parking mode, does it use the internal Nextbase battery, or does it run off the car's fusebox ?

Isn’t this answer clear ?

37 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

It depends how Halfords have hardwired it.

Normally to a ‘ignition live’ fuse (rear wiper’ so parking mode is only active for the length of the charge in the internal battery.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

There is a case for long recording periods.  If your driving is high hours in  short time you could lose very useful video.

If you are pinged by a speed camera your Dashcam might show either lack of signage or the speed was wrong. 

Another instance, I discovered a small scrape on my rear bumper.  The scrape included white paint and simply wiped off.  I assumed I had either rubbed against a post or someone has scraped me in a car park. Just over two weeks later I got a notice of intended prosecution for a hit and run. 

The notice was out of time and the PC accepted I had not known. Nevertheless the 3rd party claim was £1,050.  Had I got a video I could have contested the extent of the damage. It was a Fiat 500 and the repair must have included their rear bumper and the panel in front of the wheel - virtually impossible. 

What evidence did the claimant have?

CCTV from the supermarket. Very cramped car park and apparentlyi fled the scene.  Well not really, I went slowly down the peninsula road, one road out or the ferry. 

I think the Policeman was convinced by the CCTV but not impressed by the victims.  Personally I think it was a golden crash where they could get prior damage repaired. 

No idea if the level of damage could have been challenged. 

Sometimes if I try to test the parking mode, I turn the ignition off... open and close the door to emulate a bump, the red light comes on for 5 seconds then goes off, is this because I have the G - Sensor set to low ?

The other thing is, why do I sometimes get a " Battery low " notification if it runs off the cars fusebox ?

I think I know now. It runs and charges off the fusebox when driving. But when parked up with the ignition off it uses the internal Battery of the camera. Does this mean I cannot use park mode then ?

The installer didn't ask me to charge it when he first installed it ( I heard you are supposed to charge it for 2 hours.. ) this may be why

I have the 322gw front and rear cam, got it earlier this year and plug it in on start up and unplug when finished. The rear camera I stuck to the hatch not the glass which allowed the lens to get a good rear view. Picture quality is good.  

The other thing is, why do I sometimes get a " Battery low " notification if it runs off the cars fusebox ?

I think I know now. It runs and charges off the fusebox when driving. But when parked up with the ignition off it uses the internal battery of the camera. Does this mean I cannot use park mode then ?

The installer didn't ask me to charge

8 hours ago, venomx said:

Sometimes if I try to test the parking mode, I turn the ignition off... open and close the door to emulate a bump, the red light comes on for 5 seconds then goes off, is this because I have the G - Sensor set to low ?

it when he first installed it ( I heard you are supposed to charge it for 2 hours.. ) this may be why

Correct - sounds like they have (correctly) wired it off a switched live so it charges while engine is running and discharges when engine is off.

It should only record when it senses movement (G-Sensor but not confirmed if it will work with movement in camera view). I seem to recall a mention that maximum time is something like 15 hours in parking mode don't quote me). So if its not fully charged and you leave it in parking mode, it would be likely you will get low Battery notification.

I thought if it was in parking mode and detected movement the light should come on (and be on when you come back to the car) to alert you - maybe close the door wait a few minutes then open and close and see what happens then? It may need a few moments of no movement before it will actively detect (which is logical if you think about the driver and passengers exiting the car).

• Thanks 1